Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1/4" 8 trk--------1/2" 16 trk ???????

Thanks

1/4" 8 trk--------1/2" 16 trk ???????

Sign in to disable this ad
    OK Guys,

In the past I have seen comments/references, the basic meaning of which was that the 1/4" 8 trk format should be avoided.

Can someone explain or clarify the relative pros and cons of this format and why they may or may not apply to 1/2" 16 trk.

Also, re the 1/2" 8 trk format..........apart from the obvious advantage of more tape per track, are there any other advantages?

Thanks
    The 2 first mentioned formats are called narrow guage format, Fostex was one company to do this for reasons of economy in the open reel recorders. One can't push the limits too hard on levels as one could on a regular format. the 1" 8trk format is the best sounding in my opinion, for what it's worth......

The narrow guage format is the same trk width as cassette format, at a much faster tape speed, I have a Fostex E-16 and it does a real good job,sounds awsome.......

There's a few more analogue dogues on this forum who can add more to this thread.......

da MUTT
    da MUTT

LIFE IS GOOD!

Thanks

Arrow 1/4" 8-track sounds surprisingly good,...

so don't discount it as an option, until you've heard it for yourself.

1/4" tape is a heck of a lot cheaper than 1/2", but if you're into boosted production value, 1/2" is worth the bump in cost.

I have 1/4" 8-track and 1/2" 8-track, and I like them both.

1/2" 16-track is something I've considered getting, as yet TBD.

Thanks
    My Fostex M80 1/4" 8 track sounds awesome !

Thanks
    Gilwe and others (lol),

I am looking at a Fostex 80 on Ebay Australia, (see pic), but know virtually nothing about that model. Do you have any idea what a fair price may be in the US?

I intend to add a R2R to our setup here to supplement the Fostex D160 16 trk H/disk recorder. I still have to figure out what will be necessary to allow me to synch the two together, as apart from the fact that I would have to sacrifice one analogue trk for timecode I know very little.

The joys of playing with gear...............

Attached Images Attached Images fostex-80-jpg 

Thanks
    Hello ausrock, do you know for sure there is some kind of port for timecode, like a dsub or accessory port? Or the machine can read timecode? My MSR's have a port for connecting a midiizer, which generates and reads smpte. I'm not familiar with the fostex, but I would check if unknown. And as far as limits, what limits. ANY 8 track reel to reel is fun!!! Oh, for what its worth, I fooled around with one of these years ago, and I had a ball with it. As far as synching, I don't know its capabilitys. I know you probably could use one of the JL Cooper or Yamaha synch boxs, that will read and generate smpte, but I think the transport has to respond to timecode in order for it to chase a computer or other device. I could be wrong though.
    fitz
    alright breaks over, back on your heads!

Thanks
    Hey Rick.

I was just emailing the seller at the same time you were posting here...........lol.

I don't know that there would be a port on this model, however I believe it is possible to get some of these 8 trk machines to synch. I think I will contact the Fostex distributors and see what they can tell me.

If the seller has a low enough reserve, this thing may be worth getting regardless of whether or not it can be synched to my other gear.

Regards

Thanks

Arrow The Fostex Model 80 is plug compatible with Fostex syncronizers,...

such as the 4030/4035, syncronizer/controller. You lose one track to timecode, and the connecting cables can be hard to come by, but hopefully a full set would be shipped with the 4030.

This 4030/4035 system is capable of locking two Fostex analog reels together, or vtr, or presumably the 'puter. too. I'm pretty sure the Fostex 4030/4035 will sync non-Fostex decks too, but you're in DIY-land on CABLES.

Thanks

Arrow A Fostex 4030/4035 syncronizer/controller will lock two Fostex units together, M/S,..

in full Smpte lock.

I think the JL Cooper boxes will facilitate the analog reel as code-only master, with nothing fancy.

I have each piece of the aforementioned Fostex gear, but have yet to hook it up and figure it out completely. Being an economical format, and Fostex-to-Fostex plug-compatible on sync is a big plus.

The Model 80 was designed to accomodate autolocate and sync.

It's an 80's deck. Get one in good condition, and it can be a nice deck to have. I'm a vintage collector. I think I have two.

Thanks
    The 4050 will do also as it's a timecode generater and a reader as well as a remote controller.....

da MUTT
    da MUTT

LIFE IS GOOD!

Thread Information