Where can I get a tape head demagnetizer?

jant

I am trying to find somewhere that sells inexpensive tape head/degaussers. Radio Shack used to carry them but now only stock the cassette tape demagnetizers. I need one for my space echo. thanks, James

reply Demag units

Hi Jant

If your like the rest of us recording
people, you have catalogs like
American Music and Musicians Friend.
You can order a demag unit from them.
Don't forget the head cleaner too.

Chuck

You could also check places like Radio Shack. I am sure they would carry it. If you are dealing with cassette, you should also consider a capston & pinch roller cleaner.

These are hard as HELL to find. It now looks like I have to order one from the US which is simply ridicously expensive!
Grrrr....

guys, where/when did you see Musician's Friend ever had them? The only thing they currently have for reel-to-reel people are some quantegy tapes (most of which are always on back-order also...:( )
guitar center? maybe they have them in the store(s)..??.. if you go on-line - they redirect you to Musician's Friend site ...if I am correct.
I've searched zZounds.com ... no luck on demagnetizers at all... nothing in accessories section....
what am I missing ... ???? :rolleyes:

The place , where I have found some nice stuff (and tapes as well) is US Recording Media.... there you can order on-line. Han-D-Mag is there for about 60 bucks, here's page: http://www.usrecordingmedia.com/handmagdebyr.html

now, for people outside US...I don't really know where to look, except keeping eye on e-bay.... vary head demagnetizers there all the time.
I really don't know much about quality of work different brands/models do...thou... Han-D-Mag is the one, which was recommended widely for pro-use... as I know.

oh, well,
good luck,
/respects

Demagnetizing your tape path is absolutely critical. All tape machines need this procedure as part of routine maintenance. Every time you play a tape on magnetized heads some of the signal on the tape gets erased, especially high frequencies.

TWO DEMAGNETIZERS THAT WILL GET THE JOB DONE RIGHT:

Han-D-Mag (Best with 1/4" and up)
http://blevinsaudioexchange.com/handmag.html

TEAC E-3 (Best with cassette and up)
http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--TASE3
(not in stock but there's a nice photo)

Demagnetizers use alternating magnetic fields to create a neutral state on the tape path and heads. The demagnetizer must be strong enough to overcome the magnetized tape head and other metal in the tape path. The above are two of the best. The Teac E-3 is getting hard to find new.

Check eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.es/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7514247729

http://cgi.ebay.es/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7514281807

Cheepy models like those once made by Pickwick and sold by Radio Shack or the Sony HE-4 are relatively light in weight and too weak to neutralize the magnetic charge on the metal being treated.

MODELS TO AVOID:

Sony Head Demagnetizer HE-4
Nakamichi Head Demagnetizer DM-10 and no-name brands of the same model number
Radios Shack models 44-211 and 44-207
MCM Tape Head Demagnetizer Model 720880

…or anything about the size and weight of a pencil-style soldering iron.

-Tim :)

Thank you very much for the links. I'm going to buy the TEAC E-3. Can you give me some information about the use? I never used a demagnetizer...

Regards,

Román.

nonequus said:
but I have a Tascam 414mkII cassette recorder, would the han-d-mag be too strong for it?

Yes, that's a very real possibility. I would not use a Han-D-Mag with a cassette format.

Freijo said:
Thank you very much for the links. I'm going to buy the TEAC E-3. Can you give me some information about the use? I never used a demagnetizer...

Regards,

Román.

Demag. with your recorder off. I go so far as to unplug mine. Turn the demagnetizer on at least three feet away and move in slowly. Slowly work the wand accross all metal surfaces->(be sure not to contact the heads if your wand has a metal tip.) Slowly move away from your recorder to a distance of at least three feet, and turn the demagnetizer off. You're done. :)
I learned this procedure from my trusty 388 manual which recommends the E-3. Consequently that's the demagnetizer I use. Works great. Buzzes like a bee hive.

You can still find the TEAC E-3 on eBay... sometimes even new in box. I use it on cassette, 1/4" and 1/2" in my studio.

I went into Guitar Center a few weeks ago and asked if they sold demagnitizers. The guy looked at me like he didn't have a clue what I was talking about. He made some calls to the other departments and no one seemed to know anything. I just laughed and said don't worry about it.

Doc Holiday said:
I went into Guitar Center a few weeks ago and asked if they sold demagnitizers. The guy looked at me like he didn't have a clue what I was talking about. He made some calls to the other departments and no one seemed to know anything. I just laughed and said don't worry about it.

That's the typical experience I get in the service sector too, for pretty much anything. I sometimes wonder how these people get the jobs in the first place. :rolleyes:

cjacek said:
That's the typical experience I get in the service sector too, for pretty much anything. I sometimes wonder how these people get the jobs in the first place. :rolleyes:
The funny thing is, I actually interviewed for store manager of this GC a couple of years ago before it opened. I have several years of retail management experience and I'm a musician so I figured I'd give it a shot. I was told that I didn't have a "technical" knowledge about guitars and amps. The guy that interviewed me got the job. :eek: I still don't think they have hired anyone with technical knowledge. :p

Demagnetizer

I have a Sony He2 that I do not use, I have had since new.
Let me know if you are interested

How well does the Teac E-3 work for reel to reel? I'm just not sure if it's mainly for cassette.

Thanks
-Barrett

For reel-to-reel, don't fool around. Get the Han-D-Mag. There is a reason it became the industry standard for de-magging reel-to-reel machines (because it's the most effective.)

C.

Back