possible budget Ableton slayer??

I was thinking of starting this thread too :D

Looks interesting. I've been wanting to enter the world of clip launching for quite some time, though computer maintenance has slightly delayed me. I've signed up for the beta already.

I can't help but feel that it'll be incredibly affordable. Kind of like how PreSonus' DAW is $300 compared to other more established DAWs.

I've read somewhere that the creators are ex Ableton employees...

Wonder if they'll run into legal problems :confused:

well Studio one was old Cubase programmers, and it shows, so I doubt they'll run into legal...if they follow something like Reapers model then this could be something amazing, but if its the $300 -$500 rnge....well Live 9 is around the corner ;)

...bitwig took too long.
I've started using ableton. Lite came with my q49..
And wow does this thing make a great sketchpad!
Thanks for the guidance kc

Now let's see if bitwig will come along before I'm ready or needing to upgrade to full ableton

cool bro...Ive got a launchpad coming tomorrow, see if that get the juices flowing...got an iPad3 on the way too for this

looks great

enjoy Live, lemme know If I can help with anything....with the APC youve got yourself an instrument a well as a DAW :)

Man that iPad thing looks intense! Nice to see something that doesn't look cheesy like so many tablet apps developed nowdays.
I think it's only a matter of time until I get into an Apple product.

I actually never got around to getting an APC. Ableton just showed up with a keyboard I got for Komplete. I wasn't expecting it, but man am I glad it came in. Really flexible. And the MIDI mapping is incredibly easy.
I've actually got a launchpad on the way as well. Found a crazy deal here in the "For Sale" that I just couldn't pass up a few nights ago.

I've still got some digging around to do in Ableton, so I'm sure sooner rather than later I'll have a list of some (probably simple) questions for you :D.

ahh cool

after you mentioning the APC you got me looking about but the launchpad seems far more usable.....around half my tracks start up as a few bits and pieces in the scene view, I think this is going to revolutionize how I do things, should be great

the ipad has quite a few nifty tricks, but I didnt just buy it for the "studio" so its worth the cash...otherwise I dont think Id bother, the apps are cool but I have the same on my iphone with a synthstation to play them..

lemme know how you get on with Live...I think the launchpad editions prolly not much better than your freebie but it does give you a substantial discount when upgrading to the full Live as the treat it as a Live Lite

Yeah the launchpad just seems like a better option. bus power and light weight are always wonderful.
there seems to be an unusual delay on getting mine from the guy, so :( but whatever. Im having enough fun with ableton on its own.

looks like I can upgrade from lite to full live for $329 if I get the download version. do you think I'll be ableto install it on different systems with the download only version?

also, I've got a few of my first questions for you :D:

-How do I stop it from looping when I record something into a clip and play it back?

-I don't know where to find the midi note names for the drum racks so I can assign sounds to whatever hardware im using. Is that what the editing of drum racks is? (I can't do it since it isnt available in the lite edition.) Does it make to where you can MIDI learn the sounds to pads or whatever as you choose or is it a sound editing thing

Yeah the launchpad just seems like a better option. bus power and light weight are always wonderful.
there seems to be an unusual delay on getting mine from the guy, so :( but whatever. Im having enough fun with ableton on its own.

looks like I can upgrade from lite to full live for $329 if I get the download version. do you think I'll be ableto install it on different systems with the download only version?

also, I've got a few of my first questions for you :D:

-How do I stop it from looping when I record something into a clip and play it back?

-I don't know where to find the midi note names for the drum racks so I can assign sounds to whatever hardware im using. Is that what the editing of drum racks is? (I can't do it since it isnt available in the lite edition.) Does it make to where you can MIDI learn the sounds to pads or whatever as you choose or is it a sound editing thing

Ive been having fun with the launchpad this week...looks like its going to be a fun tool along with the ipad :)

you can install Live onto two machines per license regardless of whether its boxed or downloaded

to stop it looping double click on the clip and you'll see an information box in the left hand bottom corner where you can transpose the clip or change its gain...on the right hand side of the box there will be a yellow button with loop...just press it :)

to assign midi just click the midi map button in the top right (in between "key" and CPU %), press on the drum pad you want to control in the drum rack, then the controllers pad and it will map automatically...when youve finished mapping the pads just press the midi button again

to stop it looping double click on the clip and you'll see an information box in the left hand bottom corner where you can transpose the clip or change its gain...on the right hand side of the box there will be a yellow button with loop...just press it :)

to assign midi just click the midi map button in the top right (in between "key" and CPU %), press on the drum pad you want to control in the drum rack, then the controllers pad and it will map automatically...when youve finished mapping the pads just press the midi button again
:D loop thing worked.

the MIDI mapping for the drum rack (as well as Impulse) doesn't work for me
The macro controls map fine but the pads on the rack and impulse dont
A limitation of lite perhaps?
:confused:

that doesnt sound right...Im sure its fully featured for stuff like midi control :confused:

I know, it's strange.

But I am correct in that I'm supposes to map the pads the same way I map the knobs for macro right?
click knob on ableton, move knob on controller, close midi button?

I am able to assign my controllers pads to clips though
:confused:

weird...yup you should just be able to map them like buttons or knobs...yet they launch clips?

btw check this out...man Im loving it...v-control with the ipad, along with the launchpad...total control :)

Attachments

• IMG_0043.jpg
    IMG_0043.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 13
apparently impulse and the drum rack map to midi notes. so looks like im going to have to create templates in my controllers. :o
got something new to learn now.
I need to find a midi note chart.

and that setup looks killer!
how exactly does the iPad communicate with the software?
wireless?

the guy that was supposed to sell me a launchpad hasn't sent anything back :( so i guess thats not gonna happen.

might pool my funds a little more into this

great price: http://www.audiomidi.com/Products/kmc_quneo/

that looks interesting....."toys" that help spark a little creativity are great...Im surrounding myself with them

the ipads a wireless connection...but its plug and play...the best thing about V-control is that its mapped to loads of DAWs and even has their "look" as a template....anything that you can see can be adjusted, your finger's the mouse

I just finished a song in the clinic using it to mix with....it was 60+ tracks big, you just scroll through the faders, one finger swipe move you along one fader, two fingers moves it along 8 faders at a time...once you get used to it it becomes totally intuitive

keep me posted with your finds :)

mmmm, thats not a kick in the arse of an ipad 2's price

and v-control you can open plugs etc, in fact you can do anything that you can do with a mouse

add touchable and youve got pads, keys, clip launch

still looks good but once they get over $300 im thinking ipads got more flexibility maybe??

mmmm, thats not a kick in the arse of an ipad 2's price

and v-control you can open plugs etc, in fact you can do anything that you can do with a mouse

add touchable and youve got pads, keys, clip launch

still looks good but once they get over $300 im thinking ipads got more flexibility maybe??

yeah, it's tough. i've got some thinking to do.

any clue what's going on here https://homerecording.com/bbs/user-forums-brand/ableton-forum/ah-my-instruments-where-they-340390/ ?

Back