just moved address, need help with boomy room

Echo: forget the foam. It doesn't absorb the lows. Cloth to cover the rockwool - anything 'breathable' - burlap is good. I bought thin cotton sheets from Walmart cheap to cover my ceiling clouds and corner mini-chunks.

I forget how many times I have come onto this site and said forget anything fibreglass or rock-wool, you can buy polyester insulation bats of various density that have the same or better acoustic properties then rock-wool, polyester insulation is used in hospitals where they cannot have fibre of any kind. You can touch the stuff or even lay on it without any problems. My whole studio uses it.

You don't even need to cover it.

Alan.

I bought mine in sheets, 2.4 mtrs x 1.2 mtrs which s a good size for making panels, it does come in rolls as well but the really high density stuff comes in sheets. The rool stuff would work if you get the best thickness and compressed it a little.

Alan.

I forget how many times I have come onto this site and said forget anything fibreglass or rock-wool, you can buy polyester insulation bats of various density that have the same or better acoustic properties then rock-wool, polyester insulation is used in hospitals where they cannot have fibre of any kind. You can touch the stuff or even lay on it without any problems. My whole studio uses it.

You don't even need to cover it.

Alan.

I can't say that I have ever heard you say that since I have been here.

I have different info from J H Brandt that states different from your comments.

Can you at least give a link to the product you are speaking of so we can see the specs on how the product works with testing?

Cheers! :)

I have said it over time on different threads, the product I used was made in Australia and has now been superseded but here are the specs as I am sure that there are products in most countries that match the spec. I used mostly 3 for acoustic panels and filling the wall and ceiling space, but used some 2 for around the place as well. Acoustisorb 3 is hard to cut but you could order to size, 2 can be cut with scissors and you could just use thicker 2 to replace 3.

View attachment 5-tontine_accoustisorb_2.pdfView attachment 6-tontine_accoustisorb_3.pdf

Wow! Well that definitely not an inexpensive product. Like the safe thing tho...

And the specs are quite good.

Wow! Well that definitely not an inexpensive product. Like the safe thing tho...

And the specs are quite good.

You save money by not having to cover the stuff, but yes it is expensive, I bought $1000's of the stuff when I built the studio, but after building 4 studios in my life, I decided that no more fibres was a must. If you have a small room and just need a few panels the cost is not much more for the comfort, and the fact if you move you can move the panels without fire drama.

Alan.

Well, I cant see the polyester insulation here unless it's called something different in the UK.
I like the idea of it safety wise, but it looks like it's back to the rockwool for me.

Well, I cant see the polyester insulation here unless it's called something different in the UK.
I like the idea of it safety wise, but it looks like it's back to the rockwool for me.

You need to talk to professional installers of insulation, they will know, forget the hardware chain stores you need to find wholesalers.

Alan

OK, so if I build the panels what size should I be looking at?
I'm thinking maybe 4ft x 3ft
I could have a go at making frames or could I just glue/staple to some greyboard/ mounting card and wrap in material?

A1, A2, A3 Premium Greyboard Craft Card Extra Thick Mount Board Backing | eBay
25mm Rockwool RWA45 Slab | Prorox SL920 | Rock Mineral Wool Insulation

Thanks

Make the panels the size of the rockwool you get.

On the compressed polyester - I've never seen that advertised for sale in the US.

Of course, that makes sense to build the frame to the slab size.
Is 25mm thickness enough? Can I wrap in plastic bags before the cloth covering?

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course, that makes sense to build the frame to the slab size.
Is 25mm thickness enough? Can I wrap in plastic bags before the cloth covering?

You need at the very least 50 mm. 100 mm is even better. I never place absorbers with less than 100 mm thickness. If there's no place for those, I'd try to use another, denser material. But that gets very expensive and very heavy.

And no bags around it, unless they are acoustically transparent.

Back