Acoustic Guitar Recording 101

Thank you Keith and no, no need to ask permission! Any improvements you think are needed we are quite happy with. Learning all the time.

I have concluded that I am now ***ed as far as helping son with recordings? I cannot detect any breath noises* or shuffling but then I am clinically deaf and I guess should hang up my XLR cables! I can hear him moving etc at beginning and end but not during.

*NOT! That we claim to be in even the same universe but Mr Bream was a notorious 'grunter' and we have Glenn Gould 'humming along'' with the Goldbergs!

Dave.

Thank you Keith and no, no need to ask permission! Any improvements you think are needed we are quite happy with. Learning all the time.

I have concluded that I am now ***ed as far as helping son with recordings? I cannot detect any breath noises* or shuffling but then I am clinically deaf and I guess should hang up my XLR cables! I can hear him moving etc at beginning and end but not during.

*NOT! That we claim to be in even the same universe but Mr Bream was a notorious 'grunter' and we have Glenn Gould 'humming along'' with the Goldbergs!

Dave.
My hearing is not great, though according to tests, just fine in the vocal ranges, so hearing aids have not been recommended ("You probably wouldn't like what they do to music," and that sort of comment.) But, I know I miss things at the limits and mis-identify "noises" that may or may not be what I think they are, i.e., it might be uncontrollable ambient noise I'm hearing, and not technical stuff.

Here, I don't think what's left after filtering the background a bit is too intrusive, but it diminishes it as a "performance." For his purpose, it's fine, I'm sure.

Of course, when you're recording in a studio, you do have to really wait for the last note(s) to completely die away before packing it up if you want to save the mix guy some tedious work, and mic placement would likely be further away since background/room/fridge/dripping faucet/et al noises would not be part of the s/n equation.

The simplest way to get a clip on here I find is to turn it into a high res' MP3 320k, then attach it.
Good call that man! That saves the hassle of a link that won't open and means one can simply copy the clip into a DAW for further investigation.
I have asked before but why can we not attach even 10 seconds of a .wav? When a poster has a noise issue say, it is possible that MP3 encoding could cloud the results.

Dave.

Back