Win7>Win10

Caution! PC numpty about to opine!

I think what Fingerz means is software, DAW registration codes? I have Samplitude Pr X3 and MAGIX give you 3 "goes" so I have it installed on this i3 HP laptop and an Asus MOBO AMD 6core. Now, as I understand things, if I were to install W10 on a fresh SSD I would use up my last code and then have to hassle MAGIX for another if I wanted a fourth?

Dave.

Yep, that's what I meant. You get so many new codes and they start to wonder why you are installing it so many times.

...Why disconnect? I have an XP box from over 15 years ago that still does internet just fine. In fact, it's main use it to transfer from ftp sites when large data is involved.
I have a RISC box that still uses Netscape! (A bit short on features, but it can be persuaded :-) Hardly my first choice, but I've done it.
Neither seem to be virus magnets...

Am I to understand that you have a machine that you still can use Netscape with and also one that gets on the Internet with XP? All of the web sites I wanted to get on, with XP wouldn't allow me to. and Firefox even had me relegated down to a whittled down version, because I still had XP. Also, web sites that I used to get upgrades for my devices...like Garmin, for my GPS, would no longer let me get updates, because they had stopped supporting XP. I still have XP machines, but they don't get on the Internet.

Yep, that's what I meant. You get so many new codes and they start to wonder why you are installing it so many times.

Yup, a couple of guys over at SoS forum have fallen foul of W10 update that have screwed their DAW to the extent that they have had to request new codes. I understand that they have been looked upon with favour and trust, mainly becuase I suppose the DAW peeps KNOW of the W10 SNAFU? It is unlkely however that thos companies will be so trusting and forebearing forever!

There is also the point that, IIRC, the chaps affected were pretty well known in the pro audio world (might even have been SoS staff?). Such illustruous bods will get served. "Know nobody" peasants like me stand NO chance!

Dave.

Am I to understand that you have a machine that you still can use Netscape with and also one that gets on the Internet with XP? All of the web sites I wanted to get on, with XP wouldn't allow me to. and Firefox even had me relegated down to a whittled down version, because I still had XP. Also, web sites that I used to get upgrades for my devices...like Garmin, for my GPS, would no longer let me get updates, because they had stopped supporting XP. I still have XP machines, but they don't get on the Internet.

Craigslist still works with Netscape - or it did a few months ago.
But the FAA regulatory site - where I get copies of the FARs - doesn't work well with Firefox and never has - it STILL wants IE to work right. I force FF on it, anyway because i don't really want all of their "features" to begin with.

So no, not every site is identical and not every site is happy AT ALL, let alone with what i think should work, but all the products still work. It's the site, not the browser. It's always been that way. Yes, today we expect every site to work perfectly with every click, but not long ago that wasn't the case. So maybe my expectations are simply lower. Besides, I've seen enough of the internet to conclude my life is better with less of it than with more. If you want online support - especially from elitists like Garmin - you gotta play the game their way. I agree.

I tend to use Seamonkey on XP for casual surfing, but seldom do I casually surf. It also has FF (probably around 17 or so) and IE (ugh). "Whittled down", yes. But I'm the kind of paranoid luddite that thinks Features = Entry Points so I lean toward Spartan surfing. Even on my FF 68.0.2 W7 install, I keep the scripts screwed down to nothing. At the same time, i use all those vintage products for intranet traffic between machines. They're small and sleek and I don't have many consumer or security requirements within my own installation :-)

Back when i got into W7, i built my be-all, do-all internet, fiber optic, gigabyte box that was my power user rule-the-net station. But in time decided sleeping was better than not and my Real Life was better than online presence. So I backed away and now keep internet more at arm's length.

Remember too that none of these (or the several others) have internet as their PURPOSE, but only a feature that is occasionally used, despite some employee's objections. I've developed a "necessary evil" view of the net. This laptop is more or less my portal onto the net and that's just fine by me.

I've gone through this with companies before. It totally depends on the person you gotta deal with. Yes, it can be a hassle, but I'm the CUSTOMER so it's my money and if they have a problem with that, they'll only hurt themselves. Reputation still means something and a customer fearing the company is a sad state of pitiful affairs.

One bunch required I take a photocopy of my original discs. Okay, no prob. Completely understand. Later, that same bunch then required I send a disc in and would be returned after they 'examined' it. Okay. I can do that... with a note that said I had found a cracked version and will use that and promulgate it every chance i get. I gotta phonecall from a tough talking attorney to which my answer was "bring it!". Licensing works both ways and my way has already ponied up the cash, so put a sock in the posturing, boys. Nothing. Zip. All talk.

But that's me. I've been successful at these kinds of measures. Not everyone wants the hassle (okay, I don't either), but NEVER be afraid of someone you've given money to. Never. You don't live your life per their opinion, you use their product, and paid for it. If they have a problem with that, they're doomed to failure like many hundreds of software companies already have.

Because the W10 push is far bigger than any music software company could dream of being, then I look at W10 as the driver around here and if the music software company is reluctant in the very slightest to support that, word needs to get out. They need to be ratted out fiercely. Not just speculate what they might do, but get on the phone and talk to them (which is always the best line of action). You might be pleasantly surprised.

OTOH, they might be dipsh:ts about it. I can't tell them how to run their company but I can tell them how I'll run mine.

An interesting point Ponder. As I see it the DAW people want zero risk and they are prepared to be aresoles about it to everyone.
No supermarket chain WANTS shoplifting and they invest proportinately to control it but they know they COULD get close to zero losses if they treated every customer that made the slightest mistake as a felon. They don't of course becuase they would soon run out of customers!

If Steinberg (say) lose 10% revenue a year to crack versions they have really only lost the profit they MIGHT have got. Most people who use the cracks cannot afford the proper software or wouldn't buy it if they could. Unlike a supermarket they have not lost a physical product nor any of the costs that come with stocking it.

Dave.

I'm guessing that companies that have restrictions on the number of installs will be flooded with requests for additional keys about the time Win 7 gets sunsetted. All the folks that get botched upgrades will need them. Its about the same as the old lost/broken/fried dongle issues. (We had issues at work with those foolish things years ago).

FWIW, that was another point in Reaper's favor. I've got a copy of my license key on a flash drive and if I need to reinstall, it's a quick copy and go. I think I still have keys somewhere for Cubase LE5 and 6 but don't really use them.

I can understand companies trying to limit theft, but when it comes at a cost of serious issues for paid customers, they need to rethink their methods.

An interesting point Ponder. As I see it the DAW people want zero risk and they are prepared to be aresoles about it to everyone.
No supermarket chain WANTS shoplifting and they invest proportinately to control it but they know they COULD get close to zero losses if they treated every customer that made the slightest mistake as a felon. They don't of course becuase they would soon run out of customers!
Dave.

Everyone wants zero risk. That's a given. All people of all walks of life. Who can blame them?

Software vendors are singularly different, it seems, than vendors that provide tangible goods. I have more problems with tangible goods providers (in my case, jet engines, landing gear, and other aircraft assemblies), but they're visible, tangible, and treatable. I have more HASSLES with software providers - not so much now, because I have it all tamped down nicely.

I'm one of those people that believe "a sale is a sale" which holds up pretty well here in America. I bought it. It's mine. Your opinion doesn't matter. That sorta thing. Don't wanna open up a big discussion with internet lawyers, but almost all of what people bandy about as copyright law is hokum, including and especially the legal departments for these people.

Back in the 60s, IBM started this whole thing about "you don't buy it, you're leasing our 360 system and merely licensing the software."
As they served the largest of corporations, and a computer installation was huge and time-consuming, they got away with it -- and they were IBM. Everyone wants to be IBM and every company want's to be huge. So there's a lot of impersonation going on.

"You didn't BUY that software, you just bought a license for that software."
"Says who?"
"Says the sealed package the software came in."
"You mean MY package that MY software came in? I decided my seal was worthless and my printed instructions were an art project."
"You can't do that."
"Says who?"
Then the discussion goes downhill because assuming something and proving something are two different things.

You see, these little fish always forget that IBM had a stack of paperwork to be signed prior to providing anything. They didn't have any retail products on the shelf.

Again, this isn't about piracy (not something I support) it's about being a customer, not a subject to a King. It's about money changing hands and what it buys.

Interesting detail: there's more software in a new car than in any DAW. Detroit doesn't have a say in what you do with it. They have no control. They have no say. Copy, crack, edit, distribute. Not a thing they can do (or have done). They sell millions this way. John Deere is going through a similar battle (that they've been hopelessly losing) because they decided they DID have a say. They don't.

I never want a code writer to be cheated. It's not right. Whether cheated by their employer (very common) or their company cheated by unscrupulous rip-offs. At the same time, business is not for the faint and dainty. Not everything you touch can be spun into gold just because it seems like it should. It's no more sad for a DAW provider to go out of business than it is a Power Supply provider. It just happens... for many reasons.

The big difference is that lots of people wanna argue about the software and what to do. Hardware, they don't hardly care at all.

Back