mixing ~ use you eyes

From now on I'm not posting audio. When I have a new song, I'm posting a snap-shot of it. :D

The biggest problem that beginners have is EQ and ear training. They haven't learnt to hear differences in frequency response between their stuff and the professional stuff and they haven't learnt to EQ. There's a bunch of counter-intuitive stuff to learn due to the fundamental + harmonic nature of sound. e.g. you don't make the bass guitar cut through better by boosting the bottom end on it. Also, many people (I was guilty of this too) stick with crappy speakers for too long and spend their money on other stuff.

I hope you realise that I'm not advocating abandoning your ears, nor down playing the importance of critical listening.

I suggested it as "aid", and principally, one to help avoid the random and uncohesive placement of elements in the stereo field.

I hope you realise that I'm not advocating abandoning your ears, nor down playing the importance of critical listening.

I suggested it as "aid", and principally, one to help avoid the random and uncohesive placement of elements in the stereo field.

I gotcha. My post was just a joke. Not a dig at you. :cool:

Wizoo software uses a grid instead of a mixer with their drum software, small icons representing each drum can be moved as per panning and as they are put to the top of the grid more reverb is added i think...kinda the same idea...

I do get what Gregs saying when you hear some mixes that make you go wtf??, but I also remember not too long ago when mine were like that...i think the joy of finishing a complete project glosses over the obviously terrible mix, it never ends..Im constantly unhappy with mixes from two or three songs ago, I think thats whats drives me/us to get better

Im not sure what happens when you stop feeling like that..prolly give up and start all over again with another hobby...oil painting next lol

Im not sure what happens when you stop feeling like that..prolly give up and start all over again with another hobby...oil painting next lol

Or you go for a different sound/style. That's what I did, and it's fresh for me. You know my stuff. It's as simple and stupid as ever, but I'm trying different sounds/techniques. It's still "Greg music", but it sounds different and it's done different. That's what I'm going for anyway. I did the tight and punchy thing (with success, to me) and I milked two albums out of it. Now I'm doing the same music, but with different sounds. Maybe you could incorporate more real instruments into your stuff. Look at a band like Ministry. They're industrial as hell, but have a whole gang of guitarists. Something like that would be cool from you, I think. :)

yeah I hear how your sound has evolved, just as a commercially successful musician would, the difficult third album..... or is it the second? lol

"real" instruments offer a whole new set of challenges so its pretty far off someone with my experience is going to plateau, I suppose there's more likely to be disillusionment when your aiming to make a living out of this and cant perfect what your doing

yeah I hear how your sound has evolved, just as a commercially successful musician would, the difficult third album..... or is it the second? lol
This new sound I'm playing with now will be the third album.

"real" instruments offer a whole new set of challenges so its pretty far off someone with my experience is going to plateau, I suppose there's more likely to be disillusionment when your aiming to make a living out of this and cant perfect what your doing

Right. You're not chasing paper like the homeboiz, and I'm not either, so we're free to do whatever the fuck we want. :)

I think it's a great idea and adding to the idea of using your eyes I think having different sets of speakers in the picture will remind them that their mixes should also vary and be appropriate for not only different size speakers and different speaker frequency ranges but also the different placements in the room.

Back