Difference EQ?

ral8667

Is there a VST plug in that would analyze the average of several frequency ranges of a track that contains a song I feel has a great mix. And then compare those frequencies against another track which has one of my songs. And then apply EQ differences to the track that contains my song? The idea being that an EQ would be applied to my song that brings the frequencies closer to the source mix I like.

This probably sounds too simple and won't work, but I'd love to hear any suggestions on something like this.

Thanks,
Ron

I don't think that's what I'm looking for, but thanks for sharing your tip.

I was using a spectrum analyzer (there are many out there) to see what a song mix I like "looks" like. I'll call this my reference song.

And then I used that spectrum analyzer on my song to see what it "looks" like. I see many differences between the two. My goal is to put in a multi band EQ (or some other type of EQ) on my song and set it up to adjust the frequencies on my song to sound closer to the reference song. I can do this manually using the spectrum analyzer and EQs I have today, but there is room for error and it takes some time to setup.

It seems like there would be an EQ that can take the spectrum analysis differences between two tracks and create an EQ setting to make them sound similar automatically. Or maybe I'm dreaming... :)

So I think I found what I'm looking for. iZotope Ozone 4. It has a matching EQ for source and target. I've just played with it a bit and so far it seems to do what I'm looking for.

If anyone else has suggestions on other similar products, please let me know before I decide to buy.

Thanks!
Ron

:)

This works too:

CookieCutters.jpg

:D

;)

So I think I found what I'm looking for. iZotope Ozone 4. It has a matching EQ for source and target. I've just played with it a bit and so far it seems to do what I'm looking for.

If anyone else has suggestions on other similar products, please let me know before I decide to buy.

Thanks!
Ron

Go ahead and try it and then come back and tell us how that works out for you. :D

I have Ozone 4 and think its pretty good, but you've gotten some funny responses here because matching a cars paint job doesnt really make it the same car. Spectrum analysers can be helpful, but the advantages are very minor in the big picture. If your just wanting to learn getting your hearing and technical knowledge together your idea may help you with that, but it may not produce a similar recording to what you like at all.

Damn, Harvey...now you done it! :)
When I read the OP's question yesterday...that's the first thing that popped into my mind.
"Har-Bal" (that always makes me think of my cats... "hair ball" :laughings: )...
...and I then remembered all the extended debates it triggered every time someone mentioned it, so I didn't bring it up, but now you opened the can! :D

While I don't doubt that there either is or will be a program or plug-in that can/will do this, there's simply no logical reason for it. Every song has a different overall EQ curve based on the parts within the arrangement. Rock mixes tend to have a far more pronounced midrange curve than an R&B track, which often has an absolute glut of midrange information. Hip hop tracks have a pronounced bottom. Indie tracks often have a pronounced lower midrange.

A track packed with a singer, guitars, B3, and drums all carrying fundamentals in the middle octaves is going to have a far different EQ curve than a track with programmed percussion, a high pitched string pad, a beefy kik a snare, and a robust bass leaving a major hole in the middle filed twice a measure by a snare drum.

Further, in my experience, every track, every mix, has it's own unique and naturally occurring EQ curve. Yes, we EQ the individual parts to make them fit together, but it's the sum of those parts that makes the curve. Using a program to change the overall curve of the stereo mix doesn't make a whole lot of sense when you think about it. Take a rock track that has an obviously pronounced midrange because of the stacking of instruments playing within that range, altering that curve will merely have the effect of changing the overall balances within the mix. Trying to give an R&B track more midrange is going to change the balance of the few instruments that actually fill the middle.

It seems to me you're looking for a quick fix for what amounts to nothing more than arrangement and balance choices. From Zen and the Art of Mixing:

"The more buildup there is in a certain frequency range, the more difficult your job is as a mixer. For instance, if a production has a Farfisa organ, multiple guitars, and piano all playing in the same narrow middle range, you’re going to have a considerably harder time fitting them all into that space than if they’re spread out across the full spectrum. If there are two basses, a djun-djun, a low tom beat, and a cello, you’re going to have a hell of a time carving out enough space in the low end to avoid a muddy, undefined mess in the bottom of your mix. And if there’s too much high-frequency information in the mix, the mixer and subsequently the listener are going to find themselves exhausted in short order.

The power that frequency has over the listener should not be underestimated. How you use frequency information in a mix can have a direct bearing on how that mix makes the listener feel. How your parts fill the frequency spectrum in an arrangement can be just as important as how they fill their role musically. Keep this in mind as you mix."

So how are you going to fix a dark track caused by excessive low end information or a bright track caused by excessive high end information contained with in the arrangement intself? Really, the only way to deal with these sorts of imbalances is with the mute button. Not by scooping out the fundamental frequencies which are caused naturally by your own arrangement choices.

My recommendation is to not compare one track to another. Every track has it's own unique sonic fingerprint. If you're not happy with that fingerprint, then this is a balance and arrangement issue. Not an EQ issue.

Enjoy,

Mixerman

Last edited:
While I don't doubt that there either is or will be a program or plug-in that can/will do this, there's simply no logical reason for it.

Mixerman

And that's exactly why I included this line in my post:

Note: This is NOT a recommendation from me; just the answer to the question.

No doubt. I thought I might expand on that a little.

Hope you're well Harvey!

Enjoy,

Mixerman
I am well, and thank you for asking. Been up to my ass doing albums (5 so far just this year).

The new Trident HG3 close-field speakers I designed are scheduled to start shipping in April, and I've got a new mid-field mixing tower plus a new mastering speaker waiting in the wings, so that's pretty exciting for me.

All in all, staying pretty busy, and I'm playing bluegrass and country dobro live on most weekends at various nearby getogethers. Some great retired pro musicians in the area.

Thanks!
Ron

Even if it does what you want, which is to *see* what the two mixes look like so that you can compare, it'll still tell you little about what they *sound* like. And you're then still left with the same question you started out with: What can I do to make this sound better?

Back