your favorite compressor for mixes

pcstudios

What is your favorite plugin to compress a mix? It could be on the mix bus or in the mastering chain. Preferably I'm looking at mixes without drums, like for folky music, bluegrass, etc.. My thoughts with the mixes I've been working with in bluegrass, not much compression is needed at all. A lot of bands are doing the 3:1 ratio compression. I'm using the Waves dbx-160 and finding it pretty good when you just barely get a threshold signal.

But I'm always open to different ideas. Compressors are so very different from one another, even if you can set the settings the same.

I love the T-racks Fairchild 670. Not driven too hard, I have my own settings stored for mastering and start with these. The 670 is usually followed by the waves L3 Multimaximizer, also running not too hard set in CD mastering mode. I sometimes use the L2 instead of the L3 multi.

Alan.

Just to get this out of the way.. I'm probably a little out of the norm'.
I tend like a full feature kit, and not hang well with some of the 'classics -Mostly for feeling stuck lacking access to parameters to dial in on the response. (Wish I could get into the attack and release on the UAD '670 is a great example.)
I'll explore and use longer attacks (than perhaps the norm' these days) -looking for opportunities for movement' on the mix is one, protective (cautious) preserving transient is another.

PSP Master Comp
Klanghelm DC8C
UAD Precision Buss Comp

Back