Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wave Tunes $99

Thanks

Wave Tunes $99

Sign in to disable this ad
    I think this is a pretty good deal for anyone wanting to add a plugin like this. $99 is a pretty good deal, full functionality, not LE version. If you've been looking for something like this, I really think it is not a bad purchase. Is it as good as say Autotune or Melodyne, I couldn't say as I don't have those, but I can say it is a very capable tuner with some nice edits and, did I mention $99? That is a bit less than the others are asking for their full versions.

FYI, not sure how much longer they are offering this.
    DM60 Tunes: The Collection

Thanks
    Thanked 1,026 Times in 890 Posts
    I grabbed it last year, or maybe it was end 2013...got it for the same kind of low price as now.

It's a good plug, of course, only works well on vocals. I mean it can be used on single-note instruments, but it doesn't always come out right. When I got it I assumed it was good for anything...but even just for vocals, it was worth the sale price (I wouldn't pay $400 for it).

Only thing I hate about it (and same thing I hate about some other plugs)...you can't resize the plug window.
    For many plugs where it's just some knobs and what have you, the window doesn't need to be resized in most cases...but a tuner plug like this where you got to zoom in close a lot of the time....I hate the fact that you have to zoom into that smaller window that they give you....and then you lose sight of the big picture of where you are at etc...so it's a LOT of scrolling L/R and even Up/Down and then zooming In/Out...what a PITA.
    I even called Waves and asked if there was any planned upgrade/updates that might incorporate that...and the guy was like...."nope"...and not much more. I'm trying to explain to him that with this type of plug, you need a bigger size, since you are dealing with a timeline and all that....and he still just gives me the "nope".

Anyway...I've gotten use to that, and most times I can fly through if things are needing just small fixes...but when I get into a section that needs some fine, surgical edits....that small window really pisses me of....it just makes the job that much harder....DUH!...what were they thinking of? I mean, they have some other more "static" plug GUIs that are way huge for what you need to see....then this one, with a moving timeline....they don't let you resize it.
    I would love to stretch it the full lenght of my DAW timeline, but leave it vertically as-is. It's mostly the horizontal scrolling/zooming that gets used a lot.

Otherwise...it does the job for vocals once you find the sweet spot with the controls...also, I don't like doing like they suggest...running it on the whole track and then going back and tweaking. I only apply to sections of audio, here-n-there...and for that, I make a copy of my track and put only the sections pf audio that need correction onto that track. The other track has the untouched audio.
    Once I tweak what needs it...I then remove the same sections of audio on the original track that I tweaked on the copy track.
    So basically you have two tracks with one containing the untouched sections only, and the other containing the corrected sections only. Playing both tracks gives you the complete audio.
    I find that to be the best/easiest/fastest and least intrusive way to use it...rather than like they suggest, applying to the whole track....because I don't think it improves the whole track. So I prefer to use it sparingly and very surgically.

Some people say Melodyne is better...but then I know some people think the Waves Tune is better. They each have their quirks and you can get artifacts with either, depending on what you are doing.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,103 Times in 978 Posts
    Do you guys know if there's a DFA setting, other than automating the bypass button? (That causes clicks and pops)

Maybe I'm using it wrong but Waves Tune always seems to do something even if you just let it scan and adjust nothing.
    I usually want it to for the occasional note and it ends up being a pain.
    ---------- Steenaudio Website ----------

Thanks
    I am still new, but I select all, set the correction to 0, then edit the areas I want to edit by selecting.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DM60 View Post
    I am still new, but I select all, set the correction to 0...
    Before allowing it to scan the audio? heh...it could be that simple!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Steenamaroo View Post
    Before allowing it to scan the audio? heh...it could be that simple!
    If you catch it at start. I think it sets itself to 100% by default. Up until now I forget to set it to zero. But if you do forget, select all and set to zero rather than rescan.

I think you are right, setting it to zero before scanning probably takes care of that issue.

Thanks
    Mmmmmm....I don't it works that way.

From the manual:
    While scanning, Tune creates the initial suggested correction curve using a set of default correction values. Speed-15ms, Note Transition-120ms and Ratio-100% are hard coded into the initial correction graph creation but can be easily edited after the scan, even before auditioning the initial correction curve.
    This is what I fought with constantly....the scan uses the default values....and then AFTER the scan you can go edit. IOW....I don't think you can scan with "0" and then edit afterwords. At least I know I've tried changing the values of the three options, and when I then go and select a section of audio....I see that the settings for the three options for that section of audio have reverted BACK to the default settings.
    It just got too messy doing all that across the whole track...going in and changing that for sections of audio after the scan, and if you erase a scanned section on the Tune timeline, Tune will rescan that audio again and put it back with the same default settings again....DUH!

Man....I got so nuts with one track...I ended up deleting everything and starting over... ...and that's why I ended up with my method of copying the track...then picking out what I wanted to edit, slicing/leaving only those sections on the Tune track....and leaving the rest, that wasn't going to be edited on the original track.
    Now....I scan the track with only the sections I need edited....and then AFTER the scan I go in and make tweaks to those default settings.

You can also copy the whole track...scan the whole copy....then as you go through it making edits, anything that isn't touched you slice out of the Tune track instead of leaving it there.
    The problem is EVERY TIME you run the track, Tune will rescan anything that wasn't scanned/corrected....which is the main reason I ended up with the duplicate track approach. It lets me work only on what I want to work on. I hate that stupid rescan if I go back and replay the tracks.
    Also....when you have any otter processing/edits on the audio, Tune will sometimes glitch on them and you get artifacts....even if you set the damn thing to "0" for that section of audio. So again I remove everything that I don't need to tune, and that way Tune only acts on very specific audio portions on that duplicate track.

I'm sure there are other work-flows that may feel better to people...but after using it awhile I've found this to be the most useful for me.

Thanks
    Good info, Miro. Thanks for sharing.
    That's actually what I've been doing lately - I get a blank track with a WT plugin above the vocal track and just move any bits that needs tuning.

Of course I could just sing it right in the first place....or could I?

Thanks
    I will have to check when I have my music computer up, but the green line is what has been modified, when you select all and bring it back to zero, it lines back up to the original. Then you can edit those areas that need editing. I will do another check, I have plenty of material to practice on. Back to Steen's comment.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Steenamaroo View Post
    Good info, Miro. Thanks for sharing.
    That's actually what I've been doing lately - I get a blank track with a WT plugin above the vocal track and just move any bits that needs tuning.

Of course I could just sing it right in the first place....or could I?

I try my best too, but sometimes you need a little tweak......and trust me, they tweak things even for the pro singers.

What's interesting is how WT will sometimes correct to perfection...and it doesn't sound right to me.
    IOW, I'll leave the original or take most of the correction off....another reason I stopped scanning entire tracks, because it was hard to tell what was original and what was changed. Sometimes it was so subtle, yet enough of a change to not sound right....even though it was "corrected".

Doing it like you are is IMO the more surgical way, and you have better control over WT, as it is somewhat too automated with the whole scan thing...but that's how it's designed, so using it selectively on a separate track is a nice way to side-step that.

Thread Information