VST that cuts the signal quickly as if it was a broken wire plug?

YanKleber

Retired
I don't know how the effect I am after is called and at the moment I cannot remind a song that uses that.

The best way I can describe it is that it cuts the signal very quickly as if you were shaking a plug with a broken wire. I have heard it in several modern music and it's specially cool when applied at the end of a sang phrase where a note is lingered.

I know that my explanation is not great but... anyway, I am looking for such VST (if it does exist).

Thanks!

:rolleyes:

I'm finding it hard to understand what you want but, depending on what DAW you use, you probably don't need a VST. Just edit out tiny chunks of the track (not in ripple edit mode so the blanks stay blank) and that should do it.

If you're serious about the broken wire effect, perhaps edit in a quick "pop" like a wire making and breaking contact would do.

....should only be the work of moments plus it gives you control of exactly where the blanks happen.

Well, I really don't know how better describe it. If I find it I will share a link here. Thanks.

EDIT.

I found something similar to what I am after (at 0:16). DJs call it "trans" effect.

https://youtu.be/OO2pxPvK03E?t=12

I would like something more random, but basically is that.

Last edited:
On old guitar amps it was called tremolo.

I can't get to my daw to look at what they call that vst... it will either be under dynamics or special effects in your stock vsts.

It's basically an automated gating effect.

Is that not just using the side chain of a compressor and controlling it with a rhythm loop where the drum track simply opens and closes the gate in the compressor? Or just play the rhythm into one track using a keyboard and a synth tone, then replay this to control the sound you want chopped?

You could do it that way, but that would take more time to set up than just doing the edit. (Assuming it only happens a couple times in the song)

And he seems to want something less rhythmic and more random. I would play the track and tap the marker key ("M" in my DAW) in the pattern I wanted, then split the clip and open a gap at each marker. It would take about as much time and effort as typing this reply.

MTremolo. Either set the LFO to a random shape or use the step sequencer to put in some kind of random pattern. Automate the bypass to bring the effect in and out. Done.

Back