Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Synth vst options

Thanks

Synth vst options

Sign in to disable this ad
    I've noticed there are a lot of individual sounds available as free vsts, particularly pianos. I was wondering if there are vsts that mimic a complete synth with various sounds/ effects / instruments available within the single vst ( that I'd command with a midi controller) I only ask because it seems a laborious task to download numerous instruments, some of which you may not like and cant hear until you've got it loaded in your DAW.

Any advice welcome

Thanks
    Mark

Thanks
    I had this one from a long time ago, but never really use it.

KVR: Proteus VX by E-MU - Sound Module VST Plugin

Thanks
    I'm guessing that the word "free" is the operative here, so, if you're looking for a free synth vst with a lot of patches, these two are the ones that come to mind for supernumerary presets (Synth1 and DeXed):
    YouTube video here:

Note that the links to the presets on the YouTube page are no longer active. Use the links below.

Synth1 vst (a la Clavia Nord Lead 2 Red Synth):
    KVR: Synth1 by Daichi Laboratory (Ichiro Toda) - Synth (Analogue / Subtractive) VST Plugin and Audio Units Plugin

25000 presets for Synth1 here:
    25,000 Synth1 Presets

Dexed vst on YouTube (Yamaha DX, TX synths):
    YouTube

Dexed vst download:
    Dexed

Dexed/FM8/Yamaha DX/TX soundbanks/patches:
    http://bobbyblues.recup.ch/yamaha_dx7/dx7_patches.html
    https://patches.fm/#/

BTW: Sonic Sirius also did these two videos (Not that there's any shortage of this type of video but these are from a notable soundware developer):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9C_z7mt4oM&t=5s
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJz5U1Ze_Xw

I hope this helps.

Paj
    8^)
    8^)

Thanks
    Thanks Paj..Not entirely sure how to use all this but i've downloaded the dexed dll to start and will see how i go.

Cheers, Mark

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili View Post
    I had this one from a long time ago, but never really use it.

KVR: Proteus VX by E-MU - Sound Module VST Plugin
    Unfortunately all links to that VST just lead to an advert for headphones!..it looked good!

Thanks
    yup, sorry about that. Looks like EMU/Creative completely abandoned their legacy products.

Yeah, the headphones look nice.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paj View Post
    I'm guessing that the word "free" is the operative here, so, if you're looking for a free synth vst with a lot of patches, these two are the ones that come to mind for supernumerary presets (Synth1 and DeXed):
    YouTube video here:

Note that the links to the presets on the YouTube page are no longer active. Use the links below.

Synth1 vst (a la Clavia Nord Lead 2 Red Synth):
    KVR: Synth1 by Daichi Laboratory (Ichiro Toda) - Synth (Analogue / Subtractive) VST Plugin and Audio Units Plugin

25000 presets for Synth1 here:
    25,000 Synth1 Presets

Dexed vst on YouTube (Yamaha DX, TX synths):
    YouTube

Dexed vst download:
    Dexed

Dexed/FM8/Yamaha DX/TX soundbanks/patches:
    http://bobbyblues.recup.ch/yamaha_dx7/dx7_patches.html
    https://patches.fm/#/

BTW: Sonic Sirius also did these two videos (Not that there's any shortage of this type of video but these are from a notable soundware developer):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9C_z7mt4oM&t=5s
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJz5U1Ze_Xw

I hope this helps.

Paj
    8^)
    Paj, i've downloaded the 36MB preset file which is .RAR. When following the Youtube video on how to install the presets in synth1, it shows this rar file being opened before files are extracted. My computer is asking me which programme to use to open the file which has left me a bit stumped... Please advise where i go from there?

Regards
    Mark

Thanks
    You can use 7zip to extract a rar file. It's a free download but might contain bloatware.

Thanks
    mcmac74:
    I use the full version of WinRAR but sometimes 7zip will work "better" (I have had files that caused WinRAR to stop with a detected flaw but 7zip successfully extracted them).

Download 7-Zip from SourceForge.net

It's been a while since I set up Synth1 but I do remember that the contents of the 25000-patch library RAR file is supposed to be extracted to a folder created/called "zipbank" in the "Synth1" folder that is created in your VSTplugins directory (where the Synth1.dll file resides) when Synth1 is installed. The 25000-patch RAR file contains a turd load of RAR and ZIP files. Don't further extract these (~256) RAR/ZIP files. The "zipbank" folder should end up loaded with all of these (~256) RAR/ZIP files for Synth1 to be able to read/access the patches they contain.

There are a number of YouTube videos for Synth1 and Dexed.

To complement these two synths, I would suggest that you keep your eyes peeled for giveaways/specials for Air Music Tech's Xpand!2. It's been given away as a free bonus or sold for as low as $1. It's a decent quality ROMpler for the times when you might say something like "I need a tuba sound." It doesn't have deep synth parameter-tweaking capabilities but it holds it's own with 2500+ presets and a variety of sounds that can be combined in its 4-layer engine---and it's easy to use.

Paj
    8^)
    8^)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili View Post
    You can use 7zip to extract a rar file. It's a free download but might contain bloatware.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paj View Post
    mcmac74:
    I use the full version of WinRAR but sometimes 7zip will work "better" (I have had files that caused WinRAR to stop with a detected flaw but 7zip successfully extracted them).

Download 7-Zip from SourceForge.net

It's been a while since I set up Synth1 but I do remember that the contents of the 25000-patch library RAR file is supposed to be extracted to a folder created/called "zipbank" in the "Synth1" folder that is created in your VSTplugins directory (where the Synth1.dll file resides) when Synth1 is installed. The 25000-patch RAR file contains a turd load of RAR and ZIP files. Don't further extract these (~256) RAR/ZIP files. The "zipbank" folder should end up loaded with all of these (~256) RAR/ZIP files for Synth1 to be able to read/access the patches they contain.

There are a number of YouTube videos for Synth1 and Dexed.

To complement these two synths, I would suggest that you keep your eyes peeled for giveaways/specials for Air Music Tech's Xpand!2. It's been given away as a free bonus or sold for as low as $1. It's a decent quality ROMpler for the times when you might say something like "I need a tuba sound." It doesn't have deep synth parameter-tweaking capabilities but it holds it's own with 2500+ presets and a variety of sounds that can be combined in its 4-layer engine---and it's easy to use.

Paj
    8^)
    Cheers...I'll get those installed on synth 1 tonight hopefully.

I had a look at air expand!2 Paj and noted it's going for 10 on one site...The fact that it sounds well ordered and has a slightly less imposing 2500 presets tempts me to get it now....

Mark

Thread Information