Superior Drummer: opinions please

There's a 4x12 cab on the local CL, it's an old Peavey Butcher with Celestion G12-K85's in it.....I was thinking of either buying it, flipping those speakers, & putting a set of G12-T75's in there....I've already got the T-75's (they came out of the cab I have/use now) that I could put back into it, & basically get a 4x12 for little to nothing....

Usually late at night is when I do most of my writing/composing/drum programming, matter of fact, you've gave me some ideas about the SD stuff, so I'm gonna go fire up the daw & e-drums.....:D.

not to derail the thread but has anyone thoughts on the difference between Ezdrummer and Ezdrummer 2 ? I read some specs and general info but any practical comments are welcome?

not to derail the thread but has anyone thoughts on the difference between Ezdrummer and Ezdrummer 2 ? I read some specs and general info but any practical comments are welcome?
I didn't bother upgrading to EZ2 because I don't really need any of the new features, and am trying to ween myself onto SD for everything.

EZD and EZ2 are substantially different.
Yeah, they both give you drum tracks in a more simplified/preset way...but EZD2 took it to greater level with how a typical songwriter would approach drum track creation.

EZD and EZ2 are substantially different.
Yeah, they both give you drum tracks in a more simplified/preset way...but EZD2 took it to greater level with how a typical songwriter would approach drum track creation.

Interesting. how do you mean Miro? If you don't mind my asking.

EZD is more basic, and you still need a MIDI editor to assemble into....but with EZD2 the process of creating a somewhat "mix read" drum track has been improved, and also simplified.
You can get the whole thing set up in EZD2 as opposed to dropping grooves and programming the beats in you DAW MIDI editor.

I didn't bother upgrading my EZD to EZD2 because I have Superior Drummer, and prefer to used that...but there are a few guys here who did the upgrade from EZD to EZD2, so maybe they can give you a more detailed comparison.

Check out the EZD2 tutorial...they mentioned a lot of the upgrades/differences between the two.

I made it about 4 and half minutes into it and already made my mind up it will be my first purchase. It is light years better than EZD. It seems to be a middle of the road solution for those wanting something more than EZD but don't want to shell out for SD.

I made it about 4 and half minutes into it and already made my mind up it will be my first purchase. It is light years better than EZD. It seems to be a middle of the road solution for those wanting something more than EZD but don't want to shell out for SD.

That'll get you started dude, but IMHO, once you get into the drum vsti thing, you'll want Superior Drummer...Building your drum track in EZD2 is cool, & they have upgraded it quite a bit from the first version, but it still doesn't compare to Superior IMHO....

BTW, I started with EZD & upgraded eventually...you'll probably get a discount going that route, I can't remember how much mine was, but it is a little cheaper if/when you ever decide to upgrade....

BTW, I started with EZD & upgraded eventually...you'll probably get a discount going that route, I can't remember how much mine was, but it is a little cheaper if/when you ever decide to upgrade....

When i login it says it'll run me 99 bucks to upgrade my EZD license. It's 250 to cross grade to SD. It's a little steep right now. But maybe down the road. I have heard SD definitely the way to go.

Just hang back a bit and wait....Toontrack is about due for sales event.....and that's when you opt for the upgrade/crossgrade.

I did the crossgrade from EZD to SD way back during a sales event, so it was a lot cheaper than $250.

Just hang back a bit and wait....Toontrack is about due for sales event.....and that's when you opt for the upgrade/crossgrade.

I did the crossgrade from EZD to SD way back during a sales event, so it was a lot cheaper than $250.

Actually that is a fantastic plan. Do people usually post about those sales or do they do mailouts? I didn't check the box that for spam mail from them. I guess i can uncheck.

Don't worry....I'm on everyone's spam list from here to the moon.
I get Toontrack info all the time, and I alway post up when there's a sales event worth checkign out. I'm probably going to grab another expansion pack or two myslef when the next sales come around.

Don't worry....I'm on everyone's spam list from here to the moon.
I get Toontrack info all the time, and I alway post up when there's a sales event worth checkign out. I'm probably going to grab another expansion pack or two myslef when the next sales come around.

Speaking of buying expansion packs, i like how they added the ability to see midi files "you don't have in your own collection" to the loop browser thing. Excellent sales tactic on their part. I am sure that will be the bane of my savings accounts existence.

Speaking of buying expansion packs, i like how they added the ability to see midi files "you don't have in your own collection" to the loop browser thing. Excellent sales tactic on their part. I am sure that will be the bane of my savings accounts existence.
I have quite a few of their midi packs, & I personally think they're great for learning how a real drummer would play something....It shows how hard they hit certain things, etc...Those midi packs plus the e-kit I bought have taught me quite a bit in just the last little while...Looking at the midi played by an actual drummer also shows me how much I suck on the e-kit too....:laughings:

I have quite a few of their midi packs, & I personally think they're great for learning how a real drummer would play something....It shows how hard they hit certain things, etc...Those midi packs plus the e-kit I bought have taught me quite a bit in just the last little while...Looking at the midi played by an actual drummer also shows me how much I suck on the e-kit too....:laughings:

Ahh sir! I forgot you bought that e-kit!!! So have you made progress as a drummer or no? I was sort of thinking of doing the same but when i say i suck. I really mean that i suck. I can't get my arms and legs to coordinate. try as i have. Can't do it.

Ahh sir! I forgot you bought that e-kit!!! So have you made progress as a drummer or no? I was sort of thinking of doing the same but when i say i suck. I really mean that i suck. I can't get my arms and legs to coordinate. try as i have. Can't do it.
Well, I could always play a basic, simple beat, but playing to a click is another story...while I have improved a little over the past while, I've still got a long way to go...

But, recording the midi with my e-kit, & having the Toontrack loops give a an even better understanding of velocity, timing, etc...

Yamaha DTX400

It's pretty low-end (cheap) kit, especially compared to some of 'em, but for me, it does ok...The hi-hat basically sucks though, it only triggers 2 notes/positions (open or closed), but you can go into either your drum vsti's settings, or the drum module & change where it doesn't trigger a completely open hat sound...I will be honest, it does show me how much I suck at playing drums, but, it's also helped me learn how a real drummer would hit the different kit pieces, so that's helped me a lot on my drum programming....YMMV...

Back