so UAD...60% off some plugs

kcearl

I see deaf people
seriously these guys may as well have my paycheque if I actually earned any money

this time Im going for the Thermionic Culture Vulture...theyre giving out $25 off holiday vouchers too!

demoing the Shadow Hills mastering compressor just now, its a beast, might get it too.

anyone else taking the bait?

Just not anything I could use. I've been eye-balling the Softube Vintage Room, but I really only like the brown amp (Fender sim). Even with the holiday sale and a $25 coupon, I can't justify the cost.

Theyre kinda old plugs now...

I did buy the 1073 in the last sale and its superb...sounds as good as my hardware copies

I've considered the UAD stuff...but you first need to drop some serious cash on the hardware card, and IMO, the Quad would be like the minimum starting point...then you need to buy into all the stuff you want, 'cuz the bundles at the lower end don't usually have much of what I'm after. You have to get into the real high-end cards to get a lot of software to.
Same like the Waves bundles....you get 100 plugs...but the ones you really want are on the next, more expensive bundle. :D

Anyway...even looked a some used UAD cards just recently...but even a used Quad is like $600. I've got way too many plugs already from Waves, Plugin Alliance, Kush, etc
That said...the idea of the DSP accelerator cards, sure makes the UAD stuff a constant consideration.

Am I mistaken...but is it possible to use the UAD cards to also run some non-UAD plugs...?

As far as I know, you can't run non-UAD plugs on their cards. All the plugs are loaded from one file then unlocked for demo or purchase. If it matters any, I think a quad is overkill for most people. I've got the Duo and don't exceed its limits. Granted, my track counts are small, but I usually have 1 or 2 plugs on each track.

I also have the Apollo Duo which has a DSP card built in. I only power it up when I'm tracking and use the plugs in realtime.

You might be able to find the Duo card on eBay or something. That's how I got into UAD stuff. Then slowly bought plugs over the years.

I've considered the UAD stuff...but you first need to drop some serious cash on the hardware card, and IMO, the Quad would be like the minimum starting point...then you need to buy into all the stuff you want, 'cuz the bundles at the lower end don't usually have much of what I'm after. You have to get into the real high-end cards to get a lot of software to.
Same like the Waves bundles....you get 100 plugs...but the ones you really want are on the next, more expensive bundle. :D

Anyway...even looked a some used UAD cards just recently...but even a used Quad is like $600. I've got way too many plugs already from Waves, Plugin Alliance, Kush, etc
That said...the idea of the DSP accelerator cards, sure makes the UAD stuff a constant consideration.

Am I mistaken...but is it possible to use the UAD cards to also run some non-UAD plugs...?

You can get away with a duo...its the latest plugs that are dsp hungry. The old neve88rs will run over 40 instances, whereas my new 1073 will only run four. I dont mind so much as i use mostly hardware and print it asap. I have two GAP 73 and 2 ACMP 73 preamps and I honestly think this plug sounds as good. So that four instance for half the price (i got it the plug on sale for $79!), plus all the other plugs.

Anyway im an utter fanboy for UAD...once youve splash out for the hardware you buy the plugs on sale, they regularly hand out vouchers too, then its all very affordable, and sounds second to none imo

Do you guys think the UAD plugins sound a lot better than the newer Waves/TRacks/Slate/whatever native plugs?

I know some of the plugs are getting long in the tooth now (as are some of the waves/tracks plugs), do they still hold up against newer 'native' plugins?

I havent tried all those, but I do have the new NI plugs, I think some of them were by softube. The NI ones sound better than the UAD legacy plugs, but not quite as a good as the new collections, though theyre more flexible

Ive even A/B'd the UAD 1073.preamp against my GAP...and other than have no groundloop hum theyre indestinguishable to my ears.

I have all the comps in the new collections and any desire to go hardware in that respect has gone...the EMT verbs sound excellent too

Just not anything I could use. I've been eye-balling the Softube Vintage Room, but I really only like the brown amp (Fender sim). Even with the holiday sale and a $25 coupon, I can't justify the cost.

I still can't justify the cost, but I bought it anyway. :(

Merry Christmas, Chili.
:D

Back