Slightly unclean guitar needed

mcmac74

Hey

I'm hoping someone can direct towards some good VST amp simulators for guitar...preferably free. The primary sounds I'm looking for are a very minor distortion (just off clean) akin to the sound on Iggy pops 'Passenger'
I'm also struggling to find a nice smooth distortion with good sustain...most of the ones I've tried are too crunchy.

It doesn't help that most of the freebies don't have a sound clip to assist prior to downloading.

Thanks
Mark

Can't help you with this one.
For me, a Tube Screamer and a microphone is the way to go. Barring that, I've got an old Line6 POD XT and an RP355 that I could pull out.

Not sure how to answer the question about which VST would suit your particular guitar tone... but this is the best resource I've ever found for Guitar/Bass Amp Sims paid or free here: Honest Amp Sim Reviews – The tone, the tech, the truth!

Check their Downloads section too as they have some Freebies of their own on the site with a bunch of free IRs here: DOWNLOADS – Honest Amp Sim Reviews

Good luck!

Thanks...I downloaded the black rooster freebie...whilst I like it, the download was the plugin pack which means I now have over 20 black rooster sims which I don't have a serial for and don't need in my vst list. I don't seem to be able to get into the folder to delete unwanted sims so have ended up having to put the TT15 in the favourites folder...I'm guessing this is a pitfall of freebies!

Thanks...I downloaded the black rooster freebie...whilst I like it, the download was the plugin pack which means I now have over 20 black rooster sims which I don't have a serial for and don't need in my vst list. I don't seem to be able to get into the folder to delete unwanted sims so have ended up having to put the TT15 in the favourites folder...I'm guessing this is a pitfall of freebies!

That may be a particular pitfall to that specific freebie... though there should have been an option to only install that single VST even if you had to download their "whole" installer package, perhaps "hidden" in the advanced options during install, as I'm fairly certain you can install just the VSTs you "own" from that package.

Edit: Yes, I didn't have that package on this PC so I decided to install it... and you have the option of which VSTs you are installing. If you don't have any that you own already, just uncheck everything but the "Free" ones.

Last edited:
Back