setting hits in SD2

andrushkiwt

Can't figure out how to set a hit in SD2 so that it isn't perfectly on the line. I would like to be able to manipulate the hit so it's just barely before or after one of the 16th note markers. Apologies if i missed it in the manual or elsewhere....

I would edit the drum parts in your DAW instead of trying to program them in Superior Drummer. Learning to utilize Midi in your DAW is a much more valuable all around knowledge set than trying to work in the clunky and limiting editor included with SD.

In Sonar I have to turn off 'snapping' (which forces events to lock automatically to the grid/beat).

I would edit the drum parts in your DAW instead of trying to program them in Superior Drummer. Learning to utilize Midi in your DAW is a much more valuable all around knowledge set than trying to work in the clunky and limiting editor included with SD.

In Sonar I have to turn off 'snapping' (which forces events to lock automatically to the grid/beat).

You cannot "write" drum parts in the DAW, you have to write them within SD. I can edit them after i bounce them out as wav's, but the writing feature is within the drum program.

i'll check for a snapping tool...that sounds like it's it. "snaps" it into a pre-designated place, i can see that

Yea, I have never used SDs stand alone tools. I put it in as a VSTi, use my drum pads for inputs, sequence the drums, quantize at around 90% to give it some slop (human feel). When I quantize, I do it based on the instrument, for example, the kick might be on 1/4, 1/8, snare on 1/8, 1/16 and so on.

I have a lot of flexibility in the DAW, so that is where I edit the MIDI sequencing.

Yea, I have never used SDs stand alone tools. I put it in as a VSTi, use my drum pads for inputs, sequence the drums, quantize at around 90% to give it some slop (human feel). When I quantize, I do it based on the instrument, for example, the kick might be on 1/4, 1/8, snare on 1/8, 1/16 and so on.

I have a lot of flexibility in the DAW, so that is where I edit the MIDI sequencing.

i have no pads...just the writing tool in SD. There must be a simple way to move the block barely over this way and that way...that's all i need.

i'll add that i'm not using it stand-alone. it's as an "instrument" in my DAW. just like the a synth would be. i can access it similarly to a plug-in in the DAW, but its interface is where i have to write out the parts. nevertheless, there's gotta be an easy way to move that blob

i have no pads...just the writing tool in SD. There must be a simple way to move the block barely over this way and that way...that's all i need.

i'll add that i'm not using it stand-alone. it's as an "instrument" in my DAW. just like the a synth would be. i can access it similarly to a plug-in in the DAW, but its interface is where i have to write out the parts. nevertheless, there's gotta be an easy way to move that blob

I think we are having a word problem here. The actual MIDI is in the DAW and routing to SD as a plug in. I think we are all in agreement it sounds like. Therefore, your MIDI source is the DAW unless you are using SD's MIDI library. Then you are right. What you can do is take a loop from the library, drag it into the DAW track, make sure the play button isn't on in SD, now the DAW's MIDI track is controlling SD.

I hope I am helping here. But whatever MIDI your are using from SD can be copied into the DAW for further processing. You can grab various loops from SD and fill and sequence them to the song, edit those loops without changing the ones in the original library, etc. If you already know this, my apologies, but it sounds like that is not the way you are using the SD MIDI loops.

I think we are having a word problem here. The actual MIDI is in the DAW and routing to SD as a plug in. I think we are all in agreement it sounds like. Therefore, your MIDI source is the DAW unless you are using SD's MIDI library. Then you are right. What you can do is take a loop from the library, drag it into the DAW track, make sure the play button isn't on in SD, now the DAW's MIDI track is controlling SD.

I hope I am helping here. But whatever MIDI your are using from SD can be copied into the DAW for further processing. You can grab various loops from SD and fill and sequence them to the song, edit those loops without changing the ones in the original library, etc. If you already know this, my apologies, but it sounds like that is not the way you are using the SD MIDI loops.

sorry, yes..i will either grab a somewhat-close loop and drag it onto the DAW track and edit from there...or i will work in the DAW MIDI to create/edit something. you're right..this is probably a DAW thing then since the "blocks" are coming from the DAW. i'll look for something regarding "snap". sorry for the confusion

nope. i use that. this is to move a note to exactly a specific time that isn't a perfect 16th note.

Snap and zoom is what you wan as you stated in the other post. Zoom might not be so obvious, but once snap is off, then zoom so it is not too far off. 1/32, 1/64 off can sound funky. So it will be very subtle off of the position.

Snap and zoom is what you wan as you stated in the other post. Zoom might not be so obvious, but once snap is off, then zoom so it is not too far off. 1/32, 1/64 off can sound funky. So it will be very subtle off of the position.

un-snap, and then zoom. got it. thanks!

If *don't* want the notes perfectly on the mark...then turn on all the "humanize" stuff in SD (right side)...and turn off any auto-quantize/snap settings in your DAW's MIDI editor. If you had them on, then yeah, the SD beats would lock to them.
With that stuff off and the SD "humanize" stuff on...the notes will fall randomly around the grid beat.

If you want to just manually move the notes to where you want them...then again, turn off the auto-quantze/snap in the DAW MIDI editor....like others have mentioned.

If *don't* want the notes perfectly on the mark...then turn on all the "humanize" stuff in SD (right side)...and turn off any auto-quantize/snap settings in your DAW's MIDI editor. If you had them on, then yeah, the SD beats would lock to them.
With that stuff off and the SD "humanize" stuff on...the notes will fall randomly around the grid beat.

OP, I forgot about this in SD, but it is probably a better idea, less work and results would be very good. Something to think about.

Back