Risers & Impacts

Dirk Diggler

I'm looking for riser and impact libraries--preferably free, otherwise as cheap as possible (under $50 would be great).

For those who might be wondering what I'm referring to: "risers" create a "rising" sound, and "impacts" create an "impact" sound. (Totally counterintuitive, I know!) ;)

These effects are typically used in EDM, but I find them useful for all kinds of styles.

Does anyone know of any decent inexpensive ones?

Thanks,
Dirk

Here's one (dedicated classic, available expansions) on sale called "The Riser":
Buy AIR Music Technology VST Plugins, AIR Music Technology Instruments and Effects, Download Online, About AIR Music Technology, Free Demo Plugins, VST, AU
I think that this one is used more than most would admit to create/augment their own libraries.

A dedicated DAW pitch-wheel automation track will turn any sustained note into a riser or a fall

See if your synth has a long-duration setting for the portamento time---another easy way to do risers/fall with sustaining notes (especially nice if the portamento is polyphonic)

If you have Kontakt, by this point you probably shudder when you see another impact library, especially as a qualifier for a "cinematic" library. Also, if the samples in effects-based/cinematic Kontakt libraries are open-source, third-party libraries (e.g., Zero-G) that usually have the samples in WAV format (read the specs), they will be available for direct use in a DAW without Kontakt.

You should check to see if there is a patch library that covers this for your favorite synth (e.g., "Massive Fuel" for Massive from PulseSetter Sound).

Loops. All over the place in the impact category. A Google search will find them for you for free or for purchase.

Take any drum/percussion sample and add saturation/distortion/bit-crushing and pre- or post- reverb/delay (and stretching the tail of the sample) to roll your own impacts.

I hope this helps.

Paj
8^)

Back