Recommendations for Opto and FET plugs

Tesgin

In another post Jonathan (thanks Jonathan!) was giving me feedback on one of my mixes, and looked at my actual project files and strongly suggested I need to add an Opto and FET compressor or two to my library.

To date, I've been using REAPER's ReaPlugs, Kotelnikov, several Klanghelm freebies, Focusrite's Red 3.

He strongly rx'd Waves' Classic Compressor Bundle; after reading some of the posts about Waves, I'm not crazy about going that direction (I do have a small handful of Waves' products, but wasn't fully aware of their upgrade policies and am somewhat not crazy about that. Also, when I read reviews and rx's about the CLA stuff, I'm getting a lot about them being rather dated – as in other companies have surpassed them).

Anyway, I haven't ruled out the Waves bundle, but have been looking at other stuff as well. I'm a hobbyist, home-budget musician; wish I could say money's no object, but, well, you know ...

UAD is out of my league and I'm not going to go the hardware route.

SO, my question:

I'm leaning strongly toward going in the direction of bx_opto as my opto, and Stillwell's Rocket as my FET. Very affordable (opto's on sale right now; unless it's always that price?) and seem to be getting quite outstanding reviews.

Is that a reasonable direction to go for the opto/FET compressor combo?

Those two plugs really do get great reviews, but I'm wondering how they would do together, in the way that, say, CLA-2A and CLA-76 complement each other. I do want to get the opto/FET thing goin'!

Blackrooster? Overloud? IKMultimedia? NI? Other?

ALSO, I'm reading consistently outstanding raves about Klanghelm's MJUC. Seems it's got the smoother vari-mu flavor of a tube, coupled with the ability to do very fast attack and release times, which real vari-mus couldn't do. I'm hearing raves about how brilliant it sounds on vocals, drums, guitars, etc., etc. Can that accomplish much of the same? Or do I want to stay with the opto/FET thing.

Of course, I'll be d/l-ing and trying demos, but I'd really appreciate peoples' thoughts on this.

Thanks in advance,
Tesgin

Back