Recommend a synth for warm pads?

andrushkiwt

Looking to add more warm pad synths to my arsenal. Not interested in leads really, just ambient, warm pads. Hopefully something that's not too CPU heavy. Currently using stock Studio One programs Presence and Mojito.

What are you guys using? Any recommendations?

You're looking to make your own? Or for presets?

Hmm.. a warm synth..

I've got Hexeract, though it has a mixed reputation, it can be pretty warm. Monark is too. For all I don't like Waves, Codex is too.

Makes me think I'd like to try to make a few pads myself.

I have been using this:KVR: SynthMaster by KV331 Audio - Synth (Semi Modular) VST Plugin, Audio Units Plugin and AAX Plugin What I like about it is you get a nice range of sounds.

What I don't like about it is you get a nice range of sounds. I will spend hours looking for the right sound. It also lets you do a lot of tweaks. It s not a bad synth for the money.

+1 . . . and the preset browser does get upgraded and improved. You can also start out with a free version of the simplified-controls Free Player or the inexpensive paid-for Player (more presets). A SynthMaster-SynthMaster1 combination is pretty monstrous.

If you remain patient, Air Music Tech Hybrid3 and/or Xpand!2 will either be offered for free or for $1 at some point by somebody on line. You will then also qualify for their AIEP3 "complete"* upgrade for $75 which will contain enough quality stuff and presets to keep you busy for months and happy for years. I absolutely love the way after-touch has been programmed into the newer pad patches in Hybrid3 (not that you can't do this with scads of other synths, but it appears to be a tasteful programming approach in Hybrid3). Hybrid3 sounds good, is well-featured, and is worth the MSRP but, once you realize that it is often offered for free or $1, it's difficult to justify paying full/street price for it. Be patient---it will come to you. Get on the mailing lists from PluginBoutique, AudioDeluxe, KVR and Don'tCrack.

If you're impatient for something, Xpand!2 is currently available for $20 (but, again, remember: from time to time it's offered for $1 or free):
Virtual Instruments / Xpand 2 - Audio Plug-ins Store - DontCrack

There's always Synth1:
Synth 1: 25000 collected patches

Speaking of low CPU: A front-runner in that category would be Titan2 but it doesn't often go on sale, and it only comes with 12,800 presets.

Paj
8^)

* the "complete" upgrade does not yet include the newer versions of Loom and Vacuum, Boom, or Ignite. IMHO, still one of the best VST bargains on Earth.

Last edited:
SynthMaster doesn't require iLok. It has a proprietary authorization method using serials from KV331 website.

Paj
8^)

Since you mentioned CPU, I won't mention iZotope IRIS2 (sometimes on sale for $49) or Reaktor (lots of free/inexpensive ensembles available but CPU can be unpredictable), and since you're using stock VIs, I won't mention expensive pad-fest routes like Kontakt and Omnisphere. Don't hate me: Here are some low-finance, time-intensive investments:

Synth plugins, vst Synth plugins, buy Synth plugins online, Synth effects, download Synth plugin, free trial, rtas, aax, au

Free VST instruments / synthesizer software - VST Plugins - Page 1

Sampler plugins, vst Sampler plugins, buy Sampler plugins online, Sampler effects, download Sampler plugin, free trial, rtas, aax, au
(No shortage of ways to feed your samplers, either free, free offers from vendor sites, subscriptions to cloud services, or purchases from vendors.)
Free music samples: download loops, hits and multis | MusicRadar

Paj
8^)

Ruben at Samplecast came across this $1 deal on Hybrid3, which had to take him some effort to find (p9 of previous deals!). Hybrid already comes with 1200 presets but dropdown menu also reveals a 128-preset expansion for another $1. Among other things, Hybrid3 does pads extremely well, whether you want to use automation or the keyboard to evolve them (a lot of the newer factory patches are nicely setup with layering via aftertouch), and the arpeggiator/sequencer allow you to tie steps for more complex rhythmic patches. A lot of tutorials also available on the web. It's hard for me to imagine that you'll ever regret getting a copy of this. The offer ends on 7/24:
https://vstbuzz.com/deals/hybrid-3/

Paj
8^)

Korg Wavestation - has lots of pad sounds that really work - look on youtube. The legacy collection I've had a fair while and they work well!

What I have is Arturia Analog Lab 2. I upgraded from the intro version that came bundled with Arturia's MiniLab MIDI keyboard. It has patches simulating a slew of classic organs, pianos, and synths. It's pretty cool. A lot of the sounds are interesting. But I don't use it much, prefer instead my old Korg Triton.

andrushkiwt,

I've had the opportunity to delve deeper into my copy of Vacuum Pro, which I always associated with Moog, analog leads, bass, etc. In going through the factory presets and the factory expansion presets, I was impressed with the provided (two-layer) pads and atmospheres. I guess I shouldn't have been surprised---good synths should be more than one-trick ponies. Vacuum Pro also has a really nice browsing feature for the individual layers---it can load individual layers from other patches, so you're not limited to a list of ROMples. Since Vacuum Pro and the factory expansion are currently available for $1 each, you might also want to add them to your arsenal.
Vacuum Pro , Vacuum Pro plugin, buy Vacuum Pro , download Vacuum Pro trial, AIR Music Technology Vacuum Pro

Paj
8^)

P.S.: While you're there, if you haven't taken advantage of the Hybrid3/Expansions $1 deals, check 'em out:
VST Plugins, Synth Presets, Effects, Virtual Instruments, Music Plugins from Pluginboutique

I mentioned SynthMaster Player before. There's a free version (500 presets) and a paid version (1700 presets), which is now on sale at PluginBoutique for about as low as I can remember it going for ($4). Not deep-deep tweakable but, still, easily and respectfully so and automatable.
Synthmaster Player, Synthmaster Player plugin, buy Synthmaster Player, download Synthmaster Player trial, KV331 Audio Synthmaster Player

Also, Hybrid3 and Vacuum Pro, are still available, and expansions for each, for $1 each. Absolute bargains and loads of pads.
Also, SONiVOX TWIST2 is available for $2 but I wouldn't put it in the pads category. You will get a lot of edgy sounds that you can tweak into moving soundscapes and underscores, even before automation, with its multi-lane sequencer.
VST Plugins, Synth Presets, Effects, Virtual Instruments, Music Plugins from Pluginboutique

Paj
8^)

Last edited:
Back