Quality of sound in VSTs

haveri321

Hello and good evening,
I'm sorry if it's not the right forum to post this question, please let me know.

I recently began to use the VST plugin Spectrasonics Omnisphere. It's a great plugin but I feel like the quality of the sounds isn't good as demonstrated in the demo videos on Youtube (I think so). And also I use a VST plugin for piano called galaxy american vintage D and I think it's not as good as their demonstraion.

Maybe it's because of my soundcard? My soundcard is Phonic Firefly 302 and it's okay but not considered a high quality one.
Could it be that a soundcard which is not very expensive might make the sound of the VSTs less good?

Thanks in advance!

The soundcard will have an effect on what you are hearing, but it won't have an effect on the sound of the vst. In other words, if you do a mixdown and burn it to a CD, it should be like it is in the demos.

If not, they must have been doing something different in the demos, like adding EQ or reverb.

Not just the soundcard, but monitors and treated room, too.
A $100 pair of computer speakers in an untreated room will almost always sound bad.

Every piece of equipment matters.

I have Omnisphere and a qualtiy interface and monitors and it sounds fine to me.

If you're recording, then you'd have an interface which would replace your onboard soundcard...

Thanks for your answers.

Farview, I don't understand, why would it sound different in the mixdown than while I just play it?

I use "flat" headphones, so the room shouldn't matter..

It will sound different because you will be listening to the mixdown someplace else, not through the cheap interface.

In other words, mix it down to a cd and play it in your car or something, to see if the interface is making it sound bad.

Most likely, you simply aren't using the same settings, or the same processing that they are in the tutorials.

Keep in mind also that YouTube videos have massive amounts of audio compression.
The sounds on them will always be different than when you use the product at home.
Not necessarily "better", but rather "pushy" and pumped up.

Back