Plugins for an aspiring home recorder

Loxley

I'm looking to record my first home-made album - I use Pro Tools 10. I know the plugins that come with PT10 are decent, but I am looking to add to that palette a bit and would like some recommendations for some good plugins before I take this on.

I'm particularly looking for a nice, subtle auto-tune. I'm also always interested in sound manglers, spacey reverbs, and unique delays. While part of this album will be made through reamping into some of my effects pedals, it would be nice to capture some unique effects in-box. To offer some context, the sound I'm going for is a lot like what A Place to Bury Strangers does.. noisy, spacey, dark, and lofi (for those not familiar, listen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6YKGJToe9w)

I appreciate your input!

Can't give any recommendations on the autotune plug but for reverb I would highly suggest downloading the demo of Aether and giving that a shot. I have not used a different reverb plug since I got this one.

Are there any good reverse-reverbs out there for cheap/free?

here are a few freebies I use regularly

bluecataudio sound good: I love the chorus effect and it's free Blue Cat's Freeware Plug-ins Pack II - Download Freeware Audio Plugins (VST, RTAS, Audio Unit, DirectX) (Freeware)

SSL LMC-1 (good for drum crushing) Solid State Logic | Music

digitalfishphones: I regularly use thier de-esser and prefer it to the stock cubase one, they also make an awesome compressor and gate, all 3 free here: digitalfishphones.com - audio freeware plugins by Sascha Eversmeier

You are going to be hard pressed to find much free for pro tools. To be honest the stock reverb (not Dverb, the other one) in pro tools isn't bad at all.

There are LOADS of free plugins out there in AAX for Pro Tools. Here are some: Free Pro Tools Plug Ins -

There are others that aren't listed there also....

That said.... in many cases you get what you pay for. Sure, there are good free plugs, but sometimes support is lacking, or non existent in the event you have an issue.

Also, what happens if a small developer of free plugs goes under or fails to update... then you're left a bit behind when it's time to upgrade - you won't have plugs you are used to using.

I rely on substantial companies who are not likely to be going anywhere.

I would look into Waves. They have the best track record for support and compatibility out there, for one. They made the first plugin (Q10) back around 1993, and they still offer it in a current iteration for all your current stuff.

They have been running crazy sales, as I'm sure you may be aware.... and they have flexible upgrade paths (Taking into account plugins from them that you own, at the time of upgrades)

Just my .02

Waves Tune is on sale for $99, that is a good deal for a auto tune type plug in.

Back