A Plug In to Use While Mixing

Snowman999

I'm probably not going to explain this correctly. But, I'm hoping someone will be able to recognize what I'm looking for.

Somewhere on a thread someone mentioned a "plug in" that shows the range of waves while mixing, so you can be sure you're not to high or low, and that your mix has a proper balance of ranges. Supposedly it helps because not all speakers sound alike. With this, you can visually see where your tracks sounds are going.

What is this called?

I have Pro Tools 6 and I want to mix some songs. They come out sounding all right with my ears. But, anything that can help me sound better I'll try. I'd just have to find it, for an old Pro Tools on an ancient G5.

THANKS in advance.

Spectrum analyzer, a.k.a. real time analyzer (RTA). It's built into many eq plugins. But it's not a good idea to rely on them since some things you see that look like problems aren't, and some things that are problems might not be visible. And it takes a bit of knowledge to get useful information from a spectrum analyzer. You really need to use your ears and have a good monitoring environment.

iZotope's Tonal Balance Control lets you compare your track to some presets that give rough upper/lower bands, ie. for a couple different types of music, or you can create your own from other reference tracks you might have. (Not sure if that's in all versions - haven't checked their website.)

But, it's not something I take to heart or shape things to. I use it primarily near the end of mixing to see if there might be some [subsonic] LF content I haven't high-passed somewhere, or if it's got too much drop-off in the highs (which I admit I do not hear like I used to). Then I turn it off.

But, it's not something I take to heart or shape things to. I use it primarily near the end of mixing to see if there might be some [subsonic] LF content I haven't high-passed somewhere, or if it's got too much drop-off in the highs (which I admit I do not hear like I used to). Then I turn it off.

Same thing I do, I use Voxengo SPAN.

In Reaper you can right click on the waveform and set it to display a spectogram. You can also edit using a spectral editor.

Back