Thread: Looking for a way to create a brass sound similar to this video

Thanks

Looking for a way to create a brass sound similar to this video

Sign in to disable this ad
    I'm new to home recording, though I've played piano for a decade. I want to try making music in the same style as this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQxnStmGcTM, 0:04 - 0:18 but I'm not sure how to get a similar brass sound. Are there any methods to synthesizing a similar sound, or any samples/VSTs that are similar for cheap/free?
    Thanks

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TuxedoMaskerain View Post
    I want to try making music in the same style as this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQxnStmGcTM, 0:04 - 0:18
    Cocaine's a hell of a drug.

What software are you using to record? Sometimes there's instrument packs included with the various DAWs. I recently had to compose a horn section and found some decent brass samples in one of the free VSTs that came with my recording software. Sometimes you can find brass-like synths. Synthmaster 2.8 [can usually be found cheap/on sale] comes with a small brass section that could work. For professional quality you will likely need to pay more.
    The Boogeymen
    www.the-boogeymen.com

Thanks
    Look for VSTi's that contain Brass Stabs or Brass Hits.

Thanks
    Paj just posted this package, it's very cheap and might have decent enough brass sounds...

AIRtech Xpand!2 for $1
    The Boogeymen
    www.the-boogeymen.com

Thanks
    I'd say the quickest routes to these horn sounds: Garritan JazzBand, NI Session Horns, Broadway Lites but none of those are free, or cheap. If you already have Kontakt and InfinitePlayer, you can probably get a decent horn library relatively cheap at eSoundz. There are some inexpensive libraries for Kontakt that are available that might help here and there in building a brass section for you (remember, you don't have to record ensemble, in a single take). You might also want to download UVI workstation (free) and see if anything in the factory demo library helps you out. The cheapest route would be a decent brass patch (or combination of brass patches, hence the reference to Xpand!2, which can layer them with individual velocity/aftertouch/cc parameters to get timbre variations). You might want to check out the inexpensive (sometimes as low as $7) SynthMaster Player in this regard. Also the work-intensive process of building a Kontakt library from free, on-line samples. There was another post further down the page that asked about inexpensive/free VIs. There is a lot of capable stuff that ends up on sale in the $100-150 range if you keep your eyes peeled, especially if you have Kontakt.

Paj
    8^)
    8^)

Thanks
    Here's a phrase library that you might want to check out (demo tracks on the webpage). Really reminds me of Crusader/JazzCrusader horns from the 70's (like the "Southern Comfort" album). I just picked it up (based on the demo sounds) but haven't had time to play with it. Just like any well-done sampler-based instrument, it takes a while to become familiar with the playing style it takes to manipulate the articulations. Though, generally always worth it. I had some gig money so---you can never have enough horns (sorry, cowbellers). I like phrase libraries for the insprirational spark, and just to have fun.

Horn Section | EN

If you get this before it expires sometime on 9-5, you get a BOGO offer (same or lesser value), which I used to add this library, which also sounded interesting, for free:

Trumpet 2 | EN

(Remember, being phrase libraries, you probably won't be able to layer these two VIs for a fatter section without either serendipity or planned effort/editing.)

Anyway, here's the complete offering:

Deals | EN

Paj
    8^)
    8^)

Thread Information