Looking for a way to create a brass sound similar to this video

I want to try making music in the same style as this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQxnStmGcTM, 0:04 - 0:18

Cocaine's a hell of a drug.

What software are you using to record? Sometimes there's instrument packs included with the various DAWs. I recently had to compose a horn section and found some decent brass samples in one of the free VSTs that came with my recording software. Sometimes you can find brass-like synths. Synthmaster 2.8 [can usually be found cheap/on sale] comes with a small brass section that could work. For professional quality you will likely need to pay more.

I'd say the quickest routes to these horn sounds: Garritan JazzBand, NI Session Horns, Broadway Lites but none of those are free, or cheap. If you already have Kontakt and InfinitePlayer, you can probably get a decent horn library relatively cheap at eSoundz. There are some inexpensive libraries for Kontakt that are available that might help here and there in building a brass section for you (remember, you don't have to record ensemble, in a single take). You might also want to download UVI workstation (free) and see if anything in the factory demo library helps you out. The cheapest route would be a decent brass patch (or combination of brass patches, hence the reference to Xpand!2, which can layer them with individual velocity/aftertouch/cc parameters to get timbre variations). You might want to check out the inexpensive (sometimes as low as $7) SynthMaster Player in this regard. Also the work-intensive process of building a Kontakt library from free, on-line samples. There was another post further down the page that asked about inexpensive/free VIs. There is a lot of capable stuff that ends up on sale in the $100-150 range if you keep your eyes peeled, especially if you have Kontakt.

Paj
8^)

Here's a phrase library that you might want to check out (demo tracks on the webpage). Really reminds me of Crusader/JazzCrusader horns from the 70's (like the "Southern Comfort" album). I just picked it up (based on the demo sounds) but haven't had time to play with it. Just like any well-done sampler-based instrument, it takes a while to become familiar with the playing style it takes to manipulate the articulations. Though, generally always worth it. I had some gig money so---you can never have enough horns (sorry, cowbellers). I like phrase libraries for the insprirational spark, and just to have fun.

Horn Section | EN

If you get this before it expires sometime on 9-5, you get a BOGO offer (same or lesser value), which I used to add this library, which also sounded interesting, for free:

Trumpet 2 | EN

(Remember, being phrase libraries, you probably won't be able to layer these two VIs for a fatter section without either serendipity or planned effort/editing.)

Anyway, here's the complete offering:

Deals | EN

Paj
8^)

Back