Looking for a synth VST that sounds just like regular piano.

Resurrect

So, I've been looking around for some VSTs that just sound like a regular grand piano. Uh, no luck. And I've been looking for almost an hour. Isn't there just a plugin that you can get a myriad of preset piano sounds from, instead of all the junky fake string synths I keep finding? Please! HELP THE NOOB! lol. But yeah, seriously, if someone could point me in the direction of something like that, that'd be great. Oh, and dirt cheap to free is what I need. I've kinda used up my budget for my home studio.

The Hammersmith by Sonic Couture. It's not a free but this one is the best one I've found. I used it on a track and it sounds pretty good, a little bright but if you add convolution reverb you can darken it.

I don't want to be spamming my Soundcloud link to the track everywhere, so if you want to hear how it sounds with a beginner-level producer it's in the songwriting forum.

Edit; oh just realised you've already heard the track. .

Last edited:
I use TruePiano by 4Front - its not free ($130 US) but sounds pretty good, and includes lots of variants. For freebie there used to be MDA Piano but I imagine there's something better out there by now.

Some reviews say Ivory II pianos sound real. I tested it and they are nice, but didn't impressed me that much. Modartt one is good cause doesn't use much CPU and it's quite convincing.

I'm thinking on get "Oldblackgrand" (from Orange tree samples? I'm not sure), it's said to be based on a old not so well condition piano.
I think I don't like much the "perfect clear clean light" piano sound. My piano doesn't sound this way.

I had once the complete works of Chopin by Ashkenazy, very clean, soft and perfect - it's beautiful, but my favorite recordings are still from Sofrotnisky, Rubinstein, with more distortion and even bad quality old recordings...

Back