Looking for softly played close miked VST instruments

toneymoney

Hi! Tony here.

I'm looking for various VST instruments with very specific characteristics:
- played very softly
- close miked
- with a lot of small details which could be missed when you play harder.

I think one of the good examples could be Lekko by Felt Instruments.

Any instrument is welcomed here: guitars, flutes, strings, but also stuff like rainstick etc.

I'm happy to see any recommendations and guides from you.

Thanks guys!

Usually with VSTi's, the MIDI sensitivity determines characteristics. Soft touch or lower strike of the key will make it softer or louder. You can test this with almost any MIDI piano with touch sensitivity. That will help you understand how MIDI works to get the sound you are looking for. Otherwise, you would be looking for instrument loops, which is much different than a VSTi.

Beg to differ. Have a look at the spitfire collection. You might find the British Drama Toolkit works just as you want. I've built up a collection over the past year for video projects and some respond to dynamics and lower values of velocity but some do it other ways. The Spitfire ones tend to have a range of close to distant mic positions too. I don't get your comment on loops being different to VSTis. So many now have combinations and the old differences between samples, synthesis and looping in the old sense are now much more blurred. Many sample packages are arranged in dynamics sections, so there is a very big difference between the sounds - you select an in your face brass pa6ch where playing gently is quite loud and then as you play harder it breaks up and splits, or you have another set where the loudest you can play is probably on the border between quiet and loud, and gentle playing produces a note that just sounds.

It's got little to do with MIDI, apart from the communication between keyboard and software. What happens in the software can be pretty spectacular nowadays. I personally couldn't care less if the sound is stretched, looped or synthesised if it sounds good. I've got loads of piano sounds, and some are synthesised and some are sample based. I've no idea without looking it up which is which in many cases.

Beg to differ. Have a look at the spitfire collection. You might find the British Drama Toolkit works just as you want. I've built up a collection over the past year for video projects and some respond to dynamics and lower values of velocity but some do it other ways. The Spitfire ones tend to have a range of close to distant mic positions too. I don't get your comment on loops being different to VSTis. So many now have combinations and the old differences between samples, synthesis and looping in the old sense are now much more blurred. Many sample packages are arranged in dynamics sections, so there is a very big difference between the sounds - you select an in your face brass pa6ch where playing gently is quite loud and then as you play harder it breaks up and splits, or you have another set where the loudest you can play is probably on the border between quiet and loud, and gentle playing produces a note that just sounds.

It's got little to do with MIDI, apart from the communication between keyboard and software. What happens in the software can be pretty spectacular nowadays. I personally couldn't care less if the sound is stretched, looped or synthesised if it sounds good. I've got loads of piano sounds, and some are synthesised and some are sample based. I've no idea without looking it up which is which in many cases.

OK, when I stated loops, I wasn't thinking sampler, just basic loops. I do have a few sampler engines I use, but I wasn't thinking that way.

Back