Looking for pad sound that backs my chorus

Peter Jules

Hi all,

I'm producing a pop/rock song in my home recording environment and I need to create some sounds which come along well with the clean E-guitars in the chorus. I'm talking about these pads / textures / planes that fill-in the hi-mid space in the background and make the choruses sound so much wider. It's so hard to explain but they appear in so many songs out there. What I need is a VST plug-in with probably a synthesizer or virtual keyboard or anything else where I can play easily some chords and not worry too much about filters, LFOs etc (if possible at all). The problem with the synths I tried is that they sound either very alien or synthetic or far too ambient or are targeted on special-effects. They don't create the nice, sparkling, wide sound that I need.

I hope there's somebody who can imagine what I'm looking for. If that's the case: Please help! :)

Thanks and best regards,

Peter

. . . I'm talking about these pads / textures / planes that fill-in the hi-mid space in the background and make the choruses sound so much wider. It's so hard to explain but they appear in so many songs out there. . . Peter

???

How about a few examples of these many tunes, so we can actually give you something meaningful?

Paj
8^?

Examples

How about a few examples of these many tunes, so we can actually give you something meaningful?

OK below are some examples. Sometimes these pads are very subtle and barely hearable and sometimes it's hard to tell if that's still a guitar fx or already a synth. I'm a newbie to these kind of things so maybe I don't see something that might be obvious to you.

Thanks.

Snow Patrol often do that:
- Chasing Cars -> first chorus (from 0:41) and pretty much throughout the whole song)
- You're All I Have -> the first few bars and in the chorus

Also Bush love to do that (a lot might be guitar fx but not sure, sounds like there's something more):
- Jesus Online
- Prizefighter

Also:
30 Seconds to Mars - Kings and Queens -> in the verses (behind the piano)
Powderfinger - All of the Dreamers -> the first few bars
Incubus - Dig -> chorus
Kings of Leon - Pyro -> chorus and also from 0:17 (chorus theme)

What VSTi's are you using now and are dissatisfied with? Do you process you pad tracks (eq, filter, etc.) or just use them raw?

Paj
8^?

Sorry---if it's not the ARP-like or guitar ostinadi, the occasional buried strings, or the doubling/harmonizing on the background vocals, I don't hear it. I hope someone more helpful jumps in.

Paj
8^)

What VSTi's are you using now and are dissatisfied with? Do you process you pad tracks (eq, filter, etc.) or just use them raw?

Hi Paj.

I don't have any pad VSTs or similar yet because, as a newbie in that matter, I don't know where to start. I've seen demos on Youtube of synth plugins but none of them seems to go into a direction that could be working for a background in pop/rock music. They all sound rather like from a science-fiction movie to me :) Can you recommend any? Can you recommend any approach I could take to get these sounds from different sounds?

Peter

+1

Wow---be prepared to be amazed. DM60 gave you a great place to start. You're bound to find something for free that you like and suits your needs. For example, on the page he links to (30 of 38), there is a synth with a real Boards Of Canada vibe (AD-Endorphin), useful orchestral sounds (Sonatina), and a richly featured, good-lookin' 3-oscillator synth (X-Jupitae Flexoid), not to mention the "editors' picks off to the side. Be prepared to be amazed, hour after hour, day after day. I've been checking this stuff out for years and I'm still amazed at what comes out on a regular basis. A great time to be alive!

YouTube videos provide varying amounts of information. I check them out all the time but there's no substitute for having and using the actual VI---not to mention the fact that you can then tweak, alter and create patches.

As far as purchasing VIs goes, and as someone who has thou$and$ invested:
(1) Spend some serious time with the stuff that DM60 pointed you to. Do continue to read up on or YouTube info on what's available, how it sounds, what it does, what other users think and have experienced.
(2) Download the following freebies, along with their demo/sample libraries: Kontakt Player, UVI Workstation, Elastik2, SampleTank Free Custom Shop
(3) Get on the following commercial mailing lists for good bargains and sale offerings: PluginBoutique, AudioDeluxe, KVR, VSTbuzz, BestService
(4) Some of the best sale prices of the year are coming up around Thanksgiving: Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales.
(5) In retrospect, these were some of the best and best "bang-for-the-buck" purchases of VIs that I made:
(5a) Komplete Elements ($20)-->Upgrade offer from NI to full version of Kontakt ($80)-->Komplete Ultimate 10 crossgrade ($400). The amount of stuff from NI that I now have is amazing, and the third-party stuff that is available to go along with the NI instruments is, again, mind-boggling. You will have to pry Kontakt from my cold, dying fingers.
(5b) SynthMaster Player ($7 during a Black Friday sale). Over a thousand, well-organized, tweakable (not programmable) patches from a top-rated VI.
(5c) AIR Music Tech Hybrid3 (came with hardware)-->AEIP3 Complete ($120---lately offered for $75). These are great sounding, full-featured instruments (including Strike for dums/percussion), ported over from ProTools, well-supported and documented (Groove3 has tutorials on virtually every VI in this package), with thousands and thousands of patches/presets, included third-party libraries, and now includes all of the long-standing AIR plugins ported from ProTools (20) along with (8) new ones. Almost 80GB of content. Some people took advantage of a PluginBoutique offer of Xpand!2 for $1 to open up this upgrade path. Check out some of the postings below relating to this package. It's offered periodically, so keep your eyes open for this one. BTW, owning AEIP3 will also open the way to the SONNiVOX Complete crossgrade, which will add orchestral strings, brass, reeds, cinematic percussion and other percussion/drum packages, and more synths and keys to your arsenal for about $110).
(5d) Titan2 (and Engine2, $90)---almost 13000 well-organized sampled presets, with the ability to layer, tweak, and reprogram
(5e) Xchange Instrument Bundle ($150): Contained a lot of good instruments, like Z3ta-2 (beautiful sounds and unusually flexible arpeggiator---snap this up when Cakewalk offers it for $30-40), Arturia Analog Lab and Spark EDM, UVI Synths Anthology & Tines Anthology, two Addictive Keys packages, SSD4, and more, and cost less WAY than the combined individual prices. Took days and days to download updates and register and authorize the included packages but well worth it in the end. Provided the opportunity for a number of bargain upgrades.
(5f) Those iZotope instruments and bundles that get offered for $40-50 from time to time, Like IRIS (freakin' amazing, with 9GB of patches) and BreakTweaker.
(6) Once you have the full version of Kontakt, a ridiculous amount of synths, orchestrals, world instruments and percussion, found instruments and percussion, mutated instruments and percussion, artist drums and instruments, vocalists, choirs, brass, cinematics, efx, etc, become available in both sample and phrase formats. Go to any of the vendors in (3), above, or to Sampleism, or KontaktHub (or many others), and do a "Kontakt" search. From free to pricey, just a load of available Kontakt libraries that cover just about everything---including things you never thought about or imagined (e.g., a sound library based on samples of Galapagos tortoises). Also, another bargain I got through eSoundz was something called InfinitePlayer, a Kontakt instrument that has its own series of bargain libraries, which eSoundz often bundles and offers at bargain prices. These libraries cover a lot of territory, from the types of things that Sampletank libraries would cover, to HipHop/EDM construction kits, to artist drum/percussion packages.

It's it good thing you caught me on a rare slow day---I hope this helps, and I hope others jump in.

Good luck,
Paj
8^)

Last edited:
Wow. This is truly a good deal of valuable hints both of you gave me. Many thanks. I'll certainly work myself though them. I'm also very amazed by Kontakt and their VIs. But regarding synths I'm still a beginner. Now I think have a good starting point. Thanks!

I need another soft synth like I need another campaign ad, but DM60 has me reviewing the VSTplanet list all over again. The creativity of humans really is amazing, no matter where you look.

Paj
8^)

I need another soft synth like I need another campaign ad, but DM60 has me reviewing the VSTplanet list all over again. The creativity of humans really is amazing, no matter where you look.

Paj
8^)

If you live in one of the battle states, that would be a lot of ads.

Im going to say that just about any string pad could be used to replicate the snow patrol one

Something like Arturias solina with ensemble disengaged only using the viola, violin...then EQ out any bottom end and adjust the upper resonance

Im going to say that just about any string pad could be used to replicate the snow patrol one

Something like Arturias solina with ensemble disengaged only using the viola, violin...then EQ out any bottom end and adjust the upper resonance

Yeah---and if you can't tweak it in the synth, then using a filter and/or eq on the recorded track would do the trick. I was just playing around with the updated SynthMaster Player (2.8) and there are some really nice evolving pads in it. I would think with SynthMaster Player now at $9 and Xpand!2 at $1, the OP should find something to work with in those 3500 patches.

Paj
8^)

Yup...bought them both too :)

Hard to beat all that for $10 (and very hard to beat the AIR upgrade for all the instruments, patches, and plugins you get for an additional $75).

Keep your eyes peeled for this one, which is offered for free from time to time (another 500 good-sounding patches):

UVI Digital Synsations - Virtual 90’s Synthesizers Instruments

. . . and this one, another 1000 presets, which was offered for $30 last BlackFriday/CyberMonday (only from Guitar Center or MusiciansFriend):

UVI Synth Legacy | Musician's Friend legacy&index=1

Paj
8^)

. . . and if you want an additional 1000 synth patches for your UVI Workstation, "Synths Legacy" is the MusiciansFriend Stupid Deal of the Day today (11-21) for $29.

. . . And again, today (12-7)

Paj
8^)

Last edited:
Back