Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Good tuners?

Thanks

Good tuners?

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hey yo, looking for a good/great free tuner. Studio One 2's stock is not so good for me, and the G Tunes I found online is eh (although the best i've found so far). I've noticed that some are not very good for bass - the meter doesn't know what to do sometimes. What do you guys use?
    "No healthy person waits in line with a slew of geriatrics on a Sunday morning for pancakes" - RFR https://soundcloud.com/andrushkiwt

Thanks
    I've been using those cheap little Shark clip-on tuners for everything the last couple of years. They're great. Not free, but cheap enough that you don't need to budget for one. I saw Sweetwater was giving them away with some 3-packs of strings. If you need strings, swing by their site and see if the freebie tuner comes with your string brand.

I used G Tune for a while several years ago. Even ponied up for the paid version. But I lost track of it after a while and moved to hardware tuners instead.

Bass is tough for tuners. Sometimes I have to tune bass using the 12th fret harmonic in order to get it to register correctly. Sometimes I can catch it in a good mood and tune the open strings with the little Shark.

Thanks
    cool...i'd prefer plugs though since i'm too lazy to unplug form my interface, into the tuner, unplug, back into interface... slapping it on the channel is my go-to, if possible. how did G Tune work for you? My meter is a notch up, then square, then a notch down, then square...etc.. back and forth. bass is worse.
    "No healthy person waits in line with a slew of geriatrics on a Sunday morning for pancakes" - RFR https://soundcloud.com/andrushkiwt

Thanks
    Yeah, I have the same issue with software tuners. It's like they're too sensitive and the minor little tuning fluctuations that happen as the string vibration decays show up as major-looking tuning differences. At least with the segmented LED display tuners, you can get to the "pretty darn close" point where it shows as stable.

The good thing about the clip-on tuners...you can just leave it on between tuning and playing. No plugging/unplugging.

Thanks
    It'll pick up a bass without being plugged into? If so, then yeah, that sounds good. And yes, the vibrations are picked up during the decay on the vst's i'm using. need less of that.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by andrushkiwt View Post
    It'll pick up a bass without being plugged into? If so, then yeah, that sounds good. And yes, the vibrations are picked up during the decay on the vst's i'm using. need less of that.
    Yes, the Snark works on vibration not audible sound or a line-in. I have one, love it. IMO this makes all other tuners obsolete.

But if I'm already plugged in I just use the Amplitube tuner. Saves the Snark's battery.
    The Boogeymen
    www.the-boogeymen.com

Thanks
    Yeah, I tune all of my guitars and basses with the clip-ons. It's a little less stable on open bass strings, but very stable on 12-th fret harmonics. Depending on where you usually play on the bass neck, and how accurate your intonation is, that may or may not be a problem. I'm usually a 5th-7th position bass player when possible, and I've recently had my intonation set. So harmonics get me pretty darn close to being in tune.

Thanks
    thanks, think i'll check it out

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinky View Post
    Yes, the Snark works on vibration not audible sound or a line-in. I have one, love it. IMO this makes all other tuners obsolete.

But if I'm already plugged in I just use the Amplitube tuner. Saves the Snark's battery.
    That is definitely a drawback to the clip-ons. They use those little button batteries, which isn't something that I tend to keep spares around the house. I've had a dead battery in one of my Snarks for about 6 months now, and I never remember what size it is so I can buy a replacement.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,026 Times in 890 Posts
    You just missed the Plugin Alliance XMas sale on their tuner....they had it for $5
    I grabbed it for the DAW, since G-Tune isn't the best.

That said...I do all my tuning with a Peterson VSAM strobe tuner.
    The software tuners I only use to check how for in/out a note might be on a recorded track...etc.

Thread Information