For Foley, et. al.

It's a funny thing with me but I love recording my own sounds. With my trusty Zoom H1 I've captured all kinds of sounds. Just a few days ago, I simulated a car crash. I recorded me cycling down a steep hill and screeching on the brakes, then I also recorded me reversing into our dustbins where we live for a nice metal to metal contact bang. Then I recorded a few passes of me closing the car boot as a car drove by. I need about 3 seconds of a simulated crash and I'm confident I can put that lot together to make one. These sample libraries are great but there's something insanely great about doing it myself. Next on my agenda is a meeowing cat !

It's a funny thing with me but I love recording my own sounds. With my trusty Zoom H1 I've captured all kinds of sounds. Just a few days ago, I simulated a car crash. I recorded me cycling down a steep hill and screeching on the brakes, then I also recorded me reversing into our dustbins where we live for a nice metal to metal contact bang. Then I recorded a few passes of me closing the car boot as a car drove by. I need about 3 seconds of a simulated crash and I'm confident I can put that lot together to make one. These sample libraries are great but there's something insanely great about doing it myself. Next on my agenda is a meeowing cat !

Likewise. I get a lot of satisfaction out of creatng my own foley, which I do for our local theatre. However, I'm not averse to using pre-recorded sounds if time is pressing or my energy is low.

I don't see myself actually using foley for anything
The funny thing is, I go through a lot to capture certain sounds, like waiting months or even years for a good peel of thunder for example. Then it's heard for 3 or 4 seconds in the song and forgotten as soon as the moment passes !

I have found some production gems from freesound...
When I first started using them, I would record sounds on my ultra shitty microcassette dictaphone. Even now, looking back on it, those sounds are poor although I got a great one of a train with my Fostex X-15. But I did go through a period where I'd use sound effects CDs that I'd get from the library. I got some good sounds on them and besides, I wasn't likely to run into tigers in West Hendon !

HAHA! My dog is freaking out hearing the sample... Must be realistic to dogs...
There was a time once when I was seriously tempted to write a [comedy] song with a message to dogs that would be really annoying then on a spare track when that lyric hit, I'd blow a dog whistle that only the dog could hear so that they'd get all tizzy and the owner would be really puzzled. But I didn't have the heart to do it. It seemed like an amusing idea until I thought about the discomfort it would bring to the dogs !
I do have a good one of me being chased by a dog and it barking away. I went all the way to Ireland for that !

Just came across the deal so I thought I'd post it for the interested, especially since more and more Kontakt (K6.2) instruments are featuring drag-n'-drop to the GUI, joining scads of Reaktor ensembles and other soft synths in this regard (definitely enjoying this feature in Arturia's Pigments). A nice aspect of this deal is that you can audition and keep it in multiple formats in the cloud (on Bandcamp). Personally, I hope the sound of the Indonesian toilet rapidly fades from memory. Reminds me of something . . .

Paj
8^)

Back