EQ & Compression using DAW or Guitar Rig 5?

leoEDC

Hi there,

first of all, Hi, i'm Leo, guitar player for a decade but quite newbie with recording. i'm glad to be part of this forum, it looks really usefull and well structured, love it!

So i got a new bass for my home recording, i was trying to get a nice tone out of it with Guitar Rig 5 and i got this question in my mind (perhaps stupid): what is better, to make the EQ and Compression with the tools i have available on Guitar Rig, and then record into the DAw as it is, without touching the sound that much anymore, or just to find a nice sound for the bass with amp and cabinet simulators in GR5 (even some effect why not) leaving though the EQ and Compression to do with the tools i have in my DAW (Cubase 5 in my case)?

hope to hear from you guys! cheers,
Leo

Eq and compression affect how following effects work. Put them where they give the result you're going for. There are likely to be times when you apply eq and compression in the sim and then more eq and compression in the DAW. There isn't a universal answer.

Being that you're using VSTs then it really doesn't matter, only thing that matters is how it sounds in the end.

The Caveats:

If you find stacking too many effects on top of Guitar Rig bogs your machine down, then it might make sense to apply as much as you can within Guitar Rig (assuming it won't penalize you with worse cpu use/latency).

The quality of the eq and compression plugins being used is a factor. They may be better/worse than Guitar Rig's effects. Trial and error.

Thanks guys for quick answers, it helped me a lot! so i guess i will go ahead and try different combinations to see what brings me the best sound, considering also what would keep the system light and smooth. cheers!

Back