Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: dumb question about voice correction software

Thanks

dumb question about voice correction software

Sign in to disable this ad
    hi. i don't have any voice correction software but i was thinking about getting some. how does it work with automation. do you have to turn on "write" for it to write corrections or does it do it automatically? what if you only want a few notes corrected -- is there a way to play through the song and have the pitch correction on but only correct a few notes and not the entire song?

is there any good free pitch correction? what is the best paid one? thanks everyone

Thanks
    Yes, you can decide what to correct and what not to correct, to varying degrees depending on the software. For example, the version of Melodyne I've used doesn't let you apply the effect to parts smaller than the ones it has detected. If it detects a note being held for five seconds it may not let you correct a section of that note separately. But it's not the top version of Melodyne.

I think there's a free pitch corrector in Reaper. I don't know if it comes with the Reaper plugin pack that you can download separately.

Thanks
    thanks bouldersoundguy. what if you correct like two notes and then play the entire track back. does it want to rescan it and correct it all again? like how do you tell it not to correct everything each time you play the song back?

and is the correction written automatically or do you have to use write automation? like if i corrected 2 notes and then exported it without write turned on, would they be fixed in the mixdown?

Thanks
    How any pitch correction software works depends on the software. I myself have only used Antares (years ago) and Melodyne now. Melodyne wins by a huge margin IMO. But the workflow is a bit slower as it runs separate from your DAW. In real time, but not quite as easy to use. Of course it has more abilities than others.

Waves Tune is another option that some use but from everything I have heard Melodyne is the best for tuning vocals with the most natural sound. The full version of Melodyne can tune single notes in a guitar chord. Done it myself. But it is expensive...

I myself haven't experimented with WT or Anteres recently as I just went with what I know to give the best results. And Cubase has a built in pitch correction (Variaudio)that can be used for little bits.

All will allow minor adjustments to pitch of individual notes. I have not heard of any freeware pitch correction.
    PC Win10-64-24G i7-4790k/Cubase 10 Pro 64-bit/2-Steinberg UR824's/ADAM A7x/Event TR8/SS Trigger Plat Deluxe/Melodyne 5 Studio/Other things that don't mean anything if a client shows up not knowing what it wants.

Thanks
    I've only tried Melodyne. I'd spend the extra dough and get the full version. You record your take and then apply the plugin to make as many or few corrections as you please. It's totally non-destructive. Used tastefully, I cannot hear the correction at all.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nola View Post
    thanks bouldersoundguy. what if you correct like two notes and then play the entire track back. does it want to rescan it and correct it all again? like how do you tell it not to correct everything each time you play the song back?

and is the correction written automatically or do you have to use write automation? like if i corrected 2 notes and then exported it without write turned on, would they be fixed in the mixdown?
    Sorry to answer your question for Boulder, (how you doin man?) but the corrections are written within the VST. No automation.

In a program like Melodyne, you are best freeing up your resources by exporting the track back into your project and disabling the VST. In Melodyne for instance, you have to run it with a buffer setting of 1024 or higher while using it. You tune the notes you need, export the tuned track back into your DAW then disable the original. You can always go back if you want to change what you have done.

That it pretty much what I mean about the slow workflow with Melodyne. You really do not want to run it in real-time while mixing. It does work that way but best to export to an audio track.
    PC Win10-64-24G i7-4790k/Cubase 10 Pro 64-bit/2-Steinberg UR824's/ADAM A7x/Event TR8/SS Trigger Plat Deluxe/Melodyne 5 Studio/Other things that don't mean anything if a client shows up not knowing what it wants.

Thanks
    I am curious what DAW you are using? I do not recall from your previous posts.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmys69 View Post
    Sorry to answer your question for Boulder, (how you doin man?) but the corrections are written within the VST. No automation.

In a program like Melodyne, you are best freeing up your resources by exporting the track back into your project and disabling the VST. In Melodyne for instance, you have to run it with a buffer setting of 1024 or higher while using it. You tune the notes you need, export the tuned track back into your DAW then disable the original. You can always go back if you want to change what you have done.

That it pretty much what I mean about the slow workflow with Melodyne. You really do not want to run it in real-time while mixing. It does work that way but best to export to an audio track.
    I'll second that. Melodyne is a bit of a hog on my system. I'll sometimes run three or four copies at once when I'm working out a vocal harmony arrangement (save often...), but as soon as I am finished I'll render those tracks to stems and take Melodyne offline.

Thanks
    I use the one that came with Sonar- In this case you def do not want to set it up to do the whole track. That's not only total over kill, but a resource hog as well.
    You high light a section for correction for where it's needed and it makes new clips for just the phrase you're working on.
    Placebo stomps 96k ....... Recent projects
    Ray Catfish Copeland 'Got Love Jim Goodman 'Southern Steel

Thanks
    Thanked 1,026 Times in 890 Posts
    I use Waves Tune when I want to correct vocal tracks.
    It's very similar to Melodyne, and it runs as a VST plug within the DAW.

TBH...I've seen about an equal number of folks love/hate both Melodyne and Waves Tune. Both can do a great job, but neither is perfect, in that you can get artifacts and whatnot...but a lot depends how you use it, and also how hard you use it.
    I mean....they don't do magic. You can't take absolute shit vocals and make them sound like Celine Dion or Robert Plant or whoever. Light use always yields the best results...and it's best to use it sparingly, rather than simply applied across the entire track...IMO.

With Waves, I've come up with a system that allows my to use it selectively, on single notes if needed.
    You normally would scan the whole track once with it, then you're supposed to run through that track and adjust individual sections, etc....but I found that dumb, and it's too easy to end up going around in circles, 'cuz if you accidentally re-scan those sections you've adjusted, Waves will try to correct them again to the default setting.

I duplicate the vocal track and run Waves on that track in its entirety. Then I'll play back the vocals and listen to both tracks. I'll A/B the original track with the duplicate track, one section at a time. As I work through the track. I simply cut out the sections of each track that I want to keep, and I also delete the stuff from the Waves tune window for the sections I remove from the WT track.
    IOW...I have sections of original untouched vocal on one track, and on the other track are any notes/words I wanted to correct. It works really well, and if I want to change something on the WT track, I can just copy/past that sectiuon from the original track, and then re-scan that one spot.

Thread Information