Bituosity MiGiC erratic notes

YanKleber

Retired
Bituosity MiGiC MIDI free guitar plugin - REVIEW

OK, it started as a complain and a ask for help, but I decided to turn it into a small review!

:guitar:

Yesterday I downloaded this free awesome VST (Beta 5) that supposedly turns a regular guitar into a MIDI controller and installed it on my system. After a few challenge to set it up in Reaper (I am a MIDI dumb ass) I got it thanks to Ash's help.

In case of you download the plugin and have the same issues I had to set it up in Reaper, you can find a how-to video here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VT7dbRoDjPc

It's a very interesting project and I think that it may be a valuable plugin in a producer VST collection. Imagine a plugin able to instantly convert your regular guitar into a MIDI controller and do that cool things that you would able to do only with a special guitar/module such as that awesome Roland GR series. Watch the video below...

After installed and have it running on my screen, it is really very minimalist. It has four straight forward configuration tabs but in their how-to videos the only parameter they mention that you should mess with is the "Sens" one in the very first tab. It comes as default in a very high position and in the videos they reduce it dramatically.

Basically after to install the plugin you only have to (see the how-to video link for details):

1) Add it as an effect to a track
2) Create a MIDI track and add a virtual instrument to it (I used FM8)
3) Route the plugin track to the MIDI track

NOTE - Both tracks monitor must be on.

As soon you do that it already works immediately. As you play the notes in the guitar the plugin show up the notes in the screen (like a tuner) and you will hear the synthesizer sound as if you were really playing a synth guitar.

:D

OK, now the real deal... so don't take your breath for so long.

For ME unfortunately, it didn't work so well as in the video where the guy gets a perfect note translation along the whole demo. In my case I am still struggling to try to make it work in a reliable way: it is erratic and either will miss some notes or will misread some notes/octaves. I tried several different settings (pickup switch position, pre-amp output volume, picking strength, plugin sensibility) but nothing seems to cause a healing effect. In my case the rate of miss/misread is about 20-25% that I think is way much.

But it was ME. I suspect in MY case that the fault may be in my guitar. Perhaps the pickups are generating too much harmonics along with the fundamental note and 'confusing' the plugin. But this is just a guess and I don't have how to test or solve it.

Nonetheless, I still thing that it is an exciting plugin, but the fact that it won't work perfectly in ANY guitar out-of-the-box makes it a bit frustrating. But it's still a beta version and it's free so it's not obligated to work as supposed as beta versions are for testing. To tell the truth I doubt that if it was a state of the art plugin capable to to everything it promises without any glitch that it would be given for free. :rolleyes:

For the records... Along my Google research I found a forum thread from some a couple months ago here where someone else complaining about the same issue with erratic notes/octaves and a disastrous live performance.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I couldn't find a way to make the plugin work productively. As I mentioned before it 'works' but it's too erratic to be used in something useful. Now, if the guitar used need any kind of mod or characteristic to turn it into a reliable controller they didn't mention it in the site. Maybe it will work better if your guitar has a specific pickup, some kind of filter or even active pickups. I don't know. In my case, it didn't like the Dragonfire pickups of my LP.

I searched Google after someone that had experienced the same bad experience and only could find one reference to it (mentioned in the post above) but without a satisfactory answer. In the mentioned thread the Philip Karlsson himself (MiGiC creator) answered the complaining poster but they didn't seem to find a definitive solution. At certain point PK mentions that is important to avoid that guitar signal 'peaks'. I already had suspected that it could be the culprit so I tried to insert Amplitube VST BEFORE the MiGiC in the FX line so I added a compressor to limit peaks but it just made the problem worse. Then I tried to replace the compressor by a distortion in the hope that the squared wave could turn the signal in something more flat. It seemed to slightly help (but maybe it was just my imagination).

Well, anyway, MiGiC is still new (it's Beta 5) and there is not too much information sources. Also the FAQ section in Bituosity site is still tagged as "soon". Finally the plugin has not any documentation or trouble shooting instructions. I emailed Phillip Karlsson about the issues but got no response so far, and I really imagine that I won't because he may be super busy working on the projects.

For now I am going to uninstall it from my system and wait for future releases to try again. Even not haven had lucky myself I think that it is still a great piece of software that should be tried for anyone in search of exciting new stuff. After all it may work better on YOUR guitar – specially whose has SEVERAL guitars and that can try different models until find the one that will match MiGiC.

Cheers and good luck!

:listeningmusic:

Last edited:
I tried the same thing with ReaTune and had similar results. It improved by using the neck pickup with the tone rolled off, but it still wasn't 100%.

It's funny that guitar Pedal synths can track really well, but software seems to really suck at it.

I tried the same thing with ReaTune and had similar results. It improved by using the neck pickup with the tone rolled off, but it still wasn't 100%.

It's funny that guitar Pedal synths can track really well, but software seems to really suck at it.

Seems that still there is a long road until someone be able to write a good algorithm... Tadpui, you mentioned synth pedals... I didn't know that such thing exist as I am a bit off of the pedal industry (last ones I had were Boss around 30 years ago). Would you refer me some nice stuff that I don't have to sell a kidney to buy one?

Hi, I am the developer of MiGiC and I want to share some news about the software. Since 1.0 I have developed a new version called MiGiC Evo. Compared to the previous version it has several improvements:

1. A new frequency tracker that is both faster and more forgiving.
2. New GUI.
3. Support for ANY sample rate.
4. Experimental support for other instruments than guitar.
5. Smother license process.

Check it out at our web page: migic dot com

This will for sure provide a nicer experience for some of the users that had problems getting 1.0 to track perfectly, some of you guys included.

Best regards, Philip

Well - I down loaded it, and selected my audio input and it seemed to track fairly well for a monophonic guitar MIDI tool. Got a bit fed up with the sax sound (piano being clearly horrible played on a guitar) so asked it to to look for my existing instruments. The scan crashed the programme every time. I uninstalled it, and made sure the folders it had created in the programmes folder were gone - the uninstall left a dat file and the folders intact. Installed again, and it goes straight into scanning my folders for vat instrument, which never completes. This is running the standalone app. As during install it also put things in my cubase folders.

I gave up trying to make this work - but moved onto Cubase. I eventually used how the routing needs to be set up so guitar into the interface, then create a midi track, setting the input routing to the magic midi out, creating an audio track to get the guitar audio in, and then using it's insert to link to the magic. The trial was a true pain because once it timed out you have to remove it and re-insert it.

I figured it could still be useful - so I clicked buy, and discovered it's 49.95.

It's good, but like all guitar trackers, including the Roland system I have - it doesn't like any playing that isn't precise, and of course, unlike my Roland - is monophonic which limits it.

I'd have probably spent $25 on a whim, and been happy if I never used it. but it is too expensive for what it does.

It does OK - but that's about it. Perhaps some people will like it, but it's just a bit clunky, and the stand alone one crashing made me wonder?

As I write - it timed out - with a note playing and getting rid off this meant a midi reset. I can live with a trial timing out in silence ........... but timing out without sending an off message is a bit lax.

Well - I down loaded it, and selected my audio input and it seemed to track fairly well for a monophonic guitar MIDI tool. Got a bit fed up with the sax sound (piano being clearly horrible played on a guitar) so asked it to to look for my existing instruments. The scan crashed the programme every time. I uninstalled it, and made sure the folders it had created in the programmes folder were gone - the uninstall left a dat file and the folders intact. Installed again, and it goes straight into scanning my folders for vat instrument, which never completes. This is running the standalone app. As during install it also put things in my cubase folders.

I gave up trying to make this work - but moved onto Cubase. I eventually used how the routing needs to be set up so guitar into the interface, then create a midi track, setting the input routing to the magic midi out, creating an audio track to get the guitar audio in, and then using it's insert to link to the magic. The trial was a true pain because once it timed out you have to remove it and re-insert it.

I figured it could still be useful - so I clicked buy, and discovered it's 49.95.

It's good, but like all guitar trackers, including the Roland system I have - it doesn't like any playing that isn't precise, and of course, unlike my Roland - is monophonic which limits it.

I'd have probably spent $25 on a whim, and been happy if I never used it. but it is too expensive for what it does.

It does OK - but that's about it. Perhaps some people will like it, but it's just a bit clunky, and the stand alone one crashing made me wonder?

As I write - it timed out - with a note playing and getting rid off this meant a midi reset. I can live with a trial timing out in silence ........... but timing out without sending an off message is a bit lax.

Hi, thanks for testing it out. Some input; The crashes are actually caused by the plugins that MiGiC tries to validate, next time you start MiGiC that plugin is NOT run again (just like it says in the information popup the first time you start MiGiC standalone :) ). The embedded sounds are just intended for demo purposes, not producing songs, hence the quality. I think you should (if you have time) spend some time on tweaking the knobs, especially sensitivity, to adapt it to how you play. I find this to be a little different depending on guitarist and actually guitar. Thanks for your input, best regards / Philip

Thanks Philip - but I have folders full of plugins, and the six or seven attempts I made that caused it to just vanish from the screen will take me a long time to get through. If a plug-in cannot be used (a message does come up from time to time) then making the programme fail, with no message is a bit weird - even more so when there seems no way to restart it fresh, and not have it recommence scanning files that will crash it?

I didn't mean to infer the built in sounds were for producing - but instead of cello, piano and sax, maybe just a sine, square and some kind of unique synth sound would be better received? The response to the playing is pretty good - the mistracking was my less than clean playing, and the response to bends and quiet hammer-ons quite good. It's just a bit expensive for a product with rough edges - and the 3 minute time out (which I understand) is patently annoying and intrusive. Clearly demo versions need to be a bit annoying - but one that doesn't allow a full song to be played is too tight, in my view. ten or fifteen minutes then a timeout would at least allow people to have time to test it - I found d three minutes wasn't even enough to get the routing sorted. I'd create tracks, then sort the ins and outs and when no sound came out, I in the end discovered my second attempt was the right combination, but the thing had timed out. It seems a nice product, but strangled by a very rigid demo.

Thanks Philip - but I have folders full of plugins, and the six or seven attempts I made that caused it to just vanish from the screen will take me a long time to get through. If a plug-in cannot be used (a message does come up from time to time) then making the programme fail, with no message is a bit weird - even more so when there seems no way to restart it fresh, and not have it recommence scanning files that will crash it?

I didn't mean to infer the built in sounds were for producing - but instead of cello, piano and sax, maybe just a sine, square and some kind of unique synth sound would be better received? The response to the playing is pretty good - the mistracking was my less than clean playing, and the response to bends and quiet hammer-ons quite good. It's just a bit expensive for a product with rough edges - and the 3 minute time out (which I understand) is patently annoying and intrusive. Clearly demo versions need to be a bit annoying - but one that doesn't allow a full song to be played is too tight, in my view. ten or fifteen minutes then a timeout would at least allow people to have time to test it - I found d three minutes wasn't even enough to get the routing sorted. I'd create tracks, then sort the ins and outs and when no sound came out, I in the end discovered my second attempt was the right combination, but the thing had timed out. It seems a nice product, but strangled by a very rigid demo.

Once again, thanks you your input :) Interesting idea about having basic waveforms instead of these samples, wouldn't be too hard to implement either! There has been a lot of discussions regarding the trial interruptions, I fully understand your points. Would it be more pleasant if you only were allowed to play a certain amount of notes before the interruption rather than time?

No problem - no I think time is best for demos - but to get an idea how well a product works, you have to use it for real - not just a quick fiddle around. Maybe, using me as an example, I'd had even 24 hrs, I could have tried it in a real project. Steinberg, for example have a new jazz drum VSTi for their drum sampler, and they give you 30 days - I've used it in a couple of products, and like it - and it's proven better than what I currently use, so when it expires, I will HAVE to buy it now, because the projects it's used on won't function when the 30 day trial is up. By then, I'm hooked in - so their model almost guarantees that I will buy it - and I've not even looked at the price - I guess if it's less than £100, I will buy it because the time to go back and replace it in a few projects is worth more than £100. Yours at $49 is NOT mega expensive, but in a very interrupted demo, with the continual clicking to reactivate, it turns me the other way. You don't even have time to go to the kitchen or toilet - and that, not the quality of the product, turned me off - which is a shame. It looks like it could be useful, but I cannot make my mind up positively when the persistent activation screen keeps coming up so frequently. If you simply extended the time so people could use it, like it and get used to it (especially as playing technique changes are needed) more would surely buy? If somebody uses it for a day or even a week or month, and does not continue - you've lost the same amount. You gain when more people take up the offer. They spend a day or two on a project, then move on. Next time they use it, it has expired, and then they'll probably buy.

The three minute demo is just crazily annoying. Good product spoiled by a silly demo experience.

No problem - no I think time is best for demos - but to get an idea how well a product works, you have to use it for real - not just a quick fiddle around. Maybe, using me as an example, I'd had even 24 hrs, I could have tried it in a real project. Steinberg, for example have a new jazz drum VSTi for their drum sampler, and they give you 30 days - I've used it in a couple of products, and like it - and it's proven better than what I currently use, so when it expires, I will HAVE to buy it now, because the projects it's used on won't function when the 30 day trial is up. By then, I'm hooked in - so their model almost guarantees that I will buy it - and I've not even looked at the price - I guess if it's less than £100, I will buy it because the time to go back and replace it in a few projects is worth more than £100. Yours at $49 is NOT mega expensive, but in a very interrupted demo, with the continual clicking to reactivate, it turns me the other way. You don't even have time to go to the kitchen or toilet - and that, not the quality of the product, turned me off - which is a shame. It looks like it could be useful, but I cannot make my mind up positively when the persistent activation screen keeps coming up so frequently. If you simply extended the time so people could use it, like it and get used to it (especially as playing technique changes are needed) more would surely buy? If somebody uses it for a day or even a week or month, and does not continue - you've lost the same amount. You gain when more people take up the offer. They spend a day or two on a project, then move on. Next time they use it, it has expired, and then they'll probably buy.

The three minute demo is just crazily annoying. Good product spoiled by a silly demo experience.

Thanks once again for the input. I will take this into consideration during further development of the product. It is tricky to find the perfect tradeoff between playability and "paywall". All the best,
Philip

Back