Backing vox plug-ins?

Dirk Diggler

I’ve encountered a few “choir” libraries: Soundiron Olympus, Vocalise, etc. Kontakt has a rudimentary choir.

Are there libraries that simulate backup vocals for rock, pop, etc.?

Not looking for the “sacred” sounding choirs, but more contemporary voices, that I could use to bolster my backing vox in a rock or pop tune.

Thanks for any suggestions.

The trouble with BVs is that they sing words not aah - so the only thing I've got that works is a TC Helicon rack mount unit. I don't know of a plugin. If you could find one that uses this type of processing, it's amazing - very realistic. You send it a vocal, and send it a MIDI chord, and it creates variations in that chord - some above or some below, however you use it. Works spookily!

TC Helicon has a mic stand mounted vocal harmonizer unit that works great in live situations and obviously can be used in recording applications. Many options. Easy to use and excellent results.

You might try one of the Izotope plugins, like Nectar. It allows you to double vocals which might work for you.

iZotope Nectar 3 | Vocals, in the mix

I believe it can be downloaded on a trial basis.

My gut tells me, though, that when in doubt get back to basics. Record real backing vocals and mix to create real sounds. You might actually get more mileage doing it this way--especially if you look into vocal harmony theory. My personal opinion is that real is better. Harder? Yes. But ultimately more satisfying.

Dirk:

These are one's that come to mind for me (ones I have and use in non-classical, non-choir situations):

For the Free Kontakt Player OR the full version of Kontakt:
This one has five different singers/styles which can be combined any way you like, with 58 articulations/syllables and nice legati:
Realivox Ladies - Female Vocal Sample Library
This one has a word/phrase builder, nice legati:
Realivox Blue
This one has only ooh and ahh variations but definitely has a slammin' vintage vibe:
Big Fish Audio - Vintage Vocals - Emulate the sounds of female background singers from the 60s and 70s

For the full version of Kontakt:

This series has variety and you can set loop points to pick out parts/words from a loop/phrase. Some of the libraries in this series contain many instrumental extras:
Search Results

This series also has a lot of variety and some of the engines will allow you to stack articulations/voices and/or quickly "stretch" a single sample/key from a kit layout across the keyboard to turn it into a pitched instrument:
Voices Solo Archives - 8dio

You might also want to check out the Vocaloid series of instruments.
https://zero-g.co.uk/collections/vocaloid

Another option is to use a vocal sample or construction kit library which are widely available from Zero-G, ADSR, Loopmasters, MVP Loops, etc., including the cloud services. Most samplers will allow you to reset the start/stop/loop points of the samples, stretch them across the keyboard, etc. Not quick and easy if you're a novice to it but it's done all the time. Most DAWS have features and procedures that allow you to accomplish the same thing (viz., pitch-shifters). There are a number of loop manipulating plugins that will allow you to do more of the same thing in fewer steps (I think that one is being offered at Plugin Boutique for free with any purchase during the month of April).

The hardware option mentioned is certainly an option. I have a DigiTech floor unit and rack unit and a TC Helicon floor unit. Besides a variety of harmonizing options they all have at least one gender-bending feature.

I hope this helps.

Paj
8^)

Last edited:
The allura thing is great but he wants Bev’s, not choral style stuff. He said that early on. What would be good is a plug in that takes in a vocal line in one voice and creates a new one in a totally different voice.

Dirk:

These are one's that come to mind for me (ones I have and use in non-classical, non-choir situations):

For the Free Kontakt Player OR the full version of Kontakt:
This one has five different singers/styles which can be combined any way you like, with 58 articulations/syllables and nice legati:
Realivox Ladies - Female Vocal Sample Library
This one has a word/phrase builder, nice legati:
Realivox Blue
This one has only ooh and ahh variations but definitely has a slammin' vintage vibe:
Big Fish Audio - Vintage Vocals - Emulate the sounds of female background singers from the 60s and 70s

For the full version of Kontakt:

This series has variety and you can set loop points to pick out parts/words from a loop/phrase. Some of the libraries in this series contain many instrumental extras:
Search Results

This series also has a lot of variety and some of the engines will allow you to stack articulations/voices and/or quickly "stretch" a single sample/key from a kit layout across the keyboard to turn it into a pitched instrument:
Voices Solo Archives - 8dio

You might also want to check out the Vocaloid series of instruments.
https://zero-g.co.uk/collections/vocaloid

Another option is to use a vocal sample or construction kit library which are widely available from Zero-G, ADSR, Loopmasters, MVP Loops, etc., including the cloud services. Most samplers will allow you to reset the start/stop/loop points of the samples, stretch them across the keyboard, etc. Not quick and easy if you're a novice to it but it's done all the time. Most DAWS have features and procedures that allow you to accomplish the same thing (viz., pitch-shifters). There are a number of loop manipulating plugins that will allow you to do more of the same thing in fewer steps (I think that one is being offered at Plugin Boutique for free with any purchase during the month of April).

The hardware option mentioned is certainly an option. I have a DigiTech floor unit and rack unit and a TC Helicon floor unit. Besides a variety of harmonizing options they all have at least one gender-bending feature.

I hope this helps.

Paj
8^)

BIG thank you, Paj!

You have once again exceeded my expectations. :)

Dirk,
You're quite welcome. Note that most of these go on sale (BigFish has a 50% sale on ending today---don't ever seem to see their Vintage series any lower than that), buying one Ethera title insures future loyalty discounts (usually 20%, even beyond sale reductions), and the Realivox titles are available in the AudioPlugin.deals "store" (so you can apply accumulated credits for further reductions in price), and 8DIO can offer deep flash sale reductions (>50%) and at some point will offer a store-wide 50% sale. Straight sample/loop/construction kit libraries are inexpensive and ubiquitous but require a lot of searching-listening-evaluating. It's not really too difficult to build harmony stems from that point, even with stock plugins or DAW features. The Kontakt packages I mentioned usually have sample slicing/sectioning or syllable and/or word builders to make a "from-scratch' process a more convenient procedure.

Paj
8^)

Dirk,
You're quite welcome. Note that most of these go on sale (BigFish has a 50% sale on ending today---don't ever seem to see their Vintage series any lower than that), buying one Ethera title insures future loyalty discounts (usually 20%, even beyond sale reductions), and the Realivox titles are available in the AudioPlugin.deals "store" (so you can apply accumulated credits for further reductions in price), and 8DIO can offer deep flash sale reductions (>50%) and at some point will offer a store-wide 50% sale. Straight sample/loop/construction kit libraries are inexpensive and ubiquitous but require a lot of searching-listening-evaluating. It's not really too difficult to build harmony stems from that point, even with stock plugins or DAW features. The Kontakt packages I mentioned usually have sample slicing/sectioning or syllable and/or word builders to make a "from-scratch' process a more convenient procedure.

Paj
8^)

Thanks for the tips!

This is a bit off-topic (sorry), but one of the links you posted had a soprano opera diva library, which got me interested in that. Unfortunately that product isn't made for Mac...do you happen to know of any solo opera singer libraries that can run on Mac? Preferably Kontakt-based. Thanks!

Last edited:
Dirk,
Sorry for the delay (life, etc.). Off-hand:

The RealiTone Ladies library I mentioned contains a operatic voice.

Completely forgot to mention;the East-West stuff (I have neither the Operatic Voices or Voices Of Soul libraries, so I can't comment):
Vocals - Soundsonline
It does regulary 50% sales but not necessaritl all titles.

Here's a Soundiron title for Kontakt Player. It integrates four, individually-available, non-Player libraries for solo soprano, alto, tenor and bass. Generally the same features as the individual libraries but, because it integrates all four, has a mixer tab/page:
Voices Of Rapture - operatic SATB solo vocalists for Kontakt Player – Soundiron
This one has a variety of phrases and features, so check it out: Soundiron stuff does go on sale from time to time.

Here's a Zero-G title that might address the opera issue for you. The format is simple Kontakt patches/instruments, so any adjustment have to be done with Kontakt's backend (spanner/monkey-wrench) but the samples are Acidized WAV files, so that opens up the possibility of further using Kontakt to create pitched versions of any sample. That does require a lot of auditioning each patch/key/sample:
Classical Vocal - Operatic Vocal Phrases

Here's two others I should have also mentioed previously for possible use with background vocals. It has a minimal GUI (mostly efx and filter) so the delimitations that I mentioned for the Zero-G library above also apply:
Vocal Forge
Vocal Foundry

I don't have personal experience with these, so you'll have to check them out:
https://www.kontakthub.com/label/Bela-D-Media/

Something different but possibly similar enough to your liking:
https://www.kontakthub.com/product/ERA-II-Vocal-Codex/
There are a number of short, sequenced video demos on the webpage. The Eduardo Tarilonte libraries don't go on sale very often. They run in the free Engine2 for Best Service.

Paj
8^)

Hi Dirk,

We also carry a ton of solo vocal libraries as well. Check out the solo vocals section of our website.

We recently released Mimi Page Light & Shadow and Voice of Wind: Adey for Kontakt Player. Not sure what your style is, but hope that helps!

Dirk,
Sorry for the delay (life, etc.). Off-hand:

The RealiTone Ladies library I mentioned contains a operatic voice.

Completely forgot to mention;the East-West stuff (I have neither the Operatic Voices or Voices Of Soul libraries, so I can't comment):
Vocals - Soundsonline
It does regulary 50% sales but not necessaritl all titles.

Here's a Soundiron title for Kontakt Player. It integrates four, individually-available, non-Player libraries for solo soprano, alto, tenor and bass. Generally the same features as the individual libraries but, because it integrates all four, has a mixer tab/page:
Voices Of Rapture - operatic SATB solo vocalists for Kontakt Player – Soundiron
This one has a variety of phrases and features, so check it out: Soundiron stuff does go on sale from time to time.

Here's a Zero-G title that might address the opera issue for you. The format is simple Kontakt patches/instruments, so any adjustment have to be done with Kontakt's backend (spanner/monkey-wrench) but the samples are Acidized WAV files, so that opens up the possibility of further using Kontakt to create pitched versions of any sample. That does require a lot of auditioning each patch/key/sample:
Classical Vocal - Operatic Vocal Phrases

Here's two others I should have also mentioed previously for possible use with background vocals. It has a minimal GUI (mostly efx and filter) so the delimitations that I mentioned for the Zero-G library above also apply:
Vocal Forge
Vocal Foundry

I don't have personal experience with these, so you'll have to check them out:
https://www.kontakthub.com/label/Bela-D-Media/

Something different but possibly similar enough to your liking:
https://www.kontakthub.com/product/ERA-II-Vocal-Codex/
There are a number of short, sequenced video demos on the webpage. The Eduardo Tarilonte libraries don't go on sale very often. They run in the free Engine2 for Best Service.

Paj
8^)

Paj,

My apologies for the late response, I didn't realize there was an answer here.

Thanks so much for the great info! :)

Hi Dirk,

We also carry a ton of solo vocal libraries as well. Check out the solo vocals section of our website.

We recently released Mimi Page Light & Shadow and Voice of Wind: Adey for Kontakt Player. Not sure what your style is, but hope that helps!

Thanks! I'm a big fan of your products and currently own several.

I've looked at all your vocal libraries, two of which I use quite frequently.

Back