27 Best . . .

So who here is using any of these? Amplitube is their #1, and obviously gets used a lot. Of the others, I had EmuProteus but couldn't get it to run, have the Variety of Sound plug-ins, but have not really used them, have Voxengo Span, but its ust an analyzer.

I fell in love with Thrillseeker LA from Variety of Sound. If you ever want compression as an effect to audibly squish something, it's great. Best color compressor I have (admittedly I only have freebies). Any time I'm just fooling around with EZDrummer and my e-kit, I put that on the entire kit and have some squashed fun.

I also use their Baxter EQ, but just as a basic shelving EQ on the master bus to liven up the high end. I haven't really used any of it's fancier features (M/S and boost/cut).

I fell in love with Thrillseeker LA from Variety of Sound. If you ever want compression as an effect to audibly squish something, it's great. Best color compressor I have (admittedly I only have freebies). Any time I'm just fooling around with EZDrummer and my e-kit, I put that on the entire kit and have some squashed fun.

I also use their Baxter EQ, but just as a basic shelving EQ on the master bus to liven up the high end. I haven't really used any of it's fancier features (M/S and boost/cut).

I have used the Thrillseeker as well. I may have used it in a final mix, have to go check, but I used (or tried it) on a Master track.

I have also used the Bootsy VST. Once again, I can't remember if I kept it, but it does work and I didn't have any issues with it, just have been avoiding using new VSTs until I understand better the basic EQ, compress and fader uses.

It works well, but I find myself more and more just sticking to the basics. That doesn't mean I won't use it more int the future. They are both worth a spin.

The Magnus Jonson Ambience plug is the main reverb vst that I use. It's just so flexible - you can pretty much get any verb from subtle glueing to heavy chamber type effects.

I've got the camel crusher one too, but never found a use for it yet.

The free Kjaerhus series is an excellent omission from the list.

The Magnus Jonson Ambience plug is the main reverb vst that I use. It's just so flexible - you can pretty much get any verb from subtle glueing to heavy chamber type effects.

I've got the camel crusher one too, but never found a use for it yet.

The free Kjaerhus series is an excellent omission from the list.

The Kjerhaus classic series has been an incredible asset to me over the years. Something from that series finds its way into every single project I do. I'm a freebie VST junkie, so that one has been a boon to me more than any other series. They're not the best at what they do, but they're simple, effective and best of all: free!

I'll have to check out that ambience plug, I liked the reverbs in your last track.

I have used dahornet, have all the ignite amps stuff, Ohm Frohmage, All the Poulin stuff, Camel crusher, glitch and Amplitube.

I think dahornet and frohmage are solid MEH. Everything else is good IMO.

I'll second the Kjaerhus classic series; especially the compressor. Before getting the UAD stuff, I used all the plugs in teh series. And now, the compressor still sees some action; mostly to trim peaks off a guitar track or bump up gain.

The Kjerhaus classic series has been an incredible asset to me over the years. Something from that series finds its way into every single project I do. I'm a freebie VST junkie, so that one has been a boon to me more than any other series. They're not the best at what they do, but they're simple, effective and best of all: free!

I'll have to check out that ambience plug, I liked the reverbs in your last track.

Yeah, do. It has a pair of sliders on where you can increase/decrease the wet/dry signal. Really good for where you want a long tail, but without being too prominent in the mix - you can just set quite a heavy reverb and then reduce the wet volume. It's a flexible bit of software.

Of the Kjaerhus ones, I tend to use the limiter on most mixes and have started using their EQ to get rid of sub-bass frequencies on guitars etc.

I like some of the stock plug ins on Ableton too - I haven't come across a free compressor I like more than their Compressor 2

I like the look of some of those synth vsts on the original link, a few to check out there. Thanks for pointing it out Beerhunter & Paj

Yeah, do. It has a pair of sliders on where you can increase/decrease the wet/dry signal. Really good for where you want a long tail, but without being too prominent in the mix - you can just set quite a heavy reverb and then reduce the wet volume. It's a flexible bit of software.

Of the Kjaerhus ones, I tend to use the limiter on most mixes and have started using their EQ to get rid of sub-bass frequencies on guitars etc.

I like some of the stock plug ins on Ableton too - I haven't come across a free compressor I like more than their Compressor 2

I like the look of some of those synth vsts on the original link, a few to check out there. Thanks for pointing it out Beerhunter & Paj

When you talk about Ableton, seems like their plugins are pretty good over all. Seems their compressors do a good job, have a hard time with their reverb, but the MfL convolution reverb seems to work rather well.

When it comes to VSTi, the problem (or good) if you have the suite, you pretty much can design your own sound. Which is a problem because you can spend a week or more just designing an instrument. Whether it is a full synth sound or sampling. It is almost too flexible.

The software while expensive gives you a lot right out of the box. Drums suck for the most part, but otherwise pretty good plugs.

The other thing about this list is that voxengo curve eq is now included with cubase, but I never found a need for their analyzer.

Not in the list but I must say Indian Dreamz is one of my favorite Free VSTs.
It features Sitar, Sarod, veena, Tar, tampura and Tabla and it has really helped me some really interesting arrangements.

Not in the list but I must say Indian Dreamz is one of my favorite Free VSTs.
It features Sitar, Sarod, veena, Tar, tampura and Tabla and it has really helped me some really interesting arrangements.

I will have to check that one out. I was looking for something like this.

When you talk about Ableton, seems like their plugins are pretty good over all. Seems their compressors do a good job, have a hard time with their reverb, but the MfL convolution reverb seems to work rather well.

When it comes to VSTi, the problem (or good) if you have the suite, you pretty much can design your own sound. Which is a problem because you can spend a week or more just designing an instrument. Whether it is a full synth sound or sampling. It is almost too flexible.

The software while expensive gives you a lot right out of the box. Drums suck for the most part, but otherwise pretty good plugs.

I actually quite like the stock reverb in some situations - it works better as a subtle mix glue than a noticeable effect though. Their parametric EQ is pretty useful for notching out problem frequencies too. However, there are also a bunch of crazy VSTs bundled in that I could never imagine a use for...

By the VSTi, do you mean some kind of VST editing capabilities on newer versions of Ableton? I see from your sig that you're on Ableton 9 - I never got round to upgrading from Ableton 5, so I'm working with more of a basic setup. I thought about it, but then I couldn't really think of anything that I really wanted to do on v.5 that I couldn't, so was reluctant to upgrade just for upgrading's sake.

Agreed about the drums, but the grid itself is pretty good and so I tend to still use that and drop my own drum samples in there - build up loops or whatever. Tons of flexibility with velocity, decay times, nudging stuff around the grid etc. and so software like EZ Drummer has always sounded so restrictive in comparison.

Ths may be off topic, but I think Tone2 did the VSTi world an unexpected favor by setting Firebird free. It's a synth that I had in my arsenal but it never got much use until they brought it to my attention by making it free. Now I've had a chance to take another look at it I'm into it, it's lack of CPU consumpution, it's alais-free oscilators and it's general flexibility! Big thanks to the staff at Tone2, and more companies should follow their example by setting older VSTi and VST' plugins free.

By the VSTi, do you mean some kind of VST editing capabilities on newer versions of Ableton? I see from your sig that you're on Ableton 9 - I never got round to upgrading from Ableton 5, so I'm working with more of a basic setup. I thought about it, but then I couldn't really think of anything that I really wanted to do on v.5 that I couldn't, so was reluctant to upgrade just for upgrading's sake.

I think they had this in the older versions, but you can build your own instruments much like the drums. With the suite they give you a sampler interface, the give you an analog engine, and then you map it to the keyboard, etc. really all the tools you need to create your own instruments. Then there is Max, that takes it to a whole different level. But lots of tools to create your own set of sounds.

Have you tried the downloads within that little slideshow? I'd like to know if they're viruses before I try them, because they seem very useful.

Back