Where to put the preamp

halson

I have a vintage preamp, Altec 1567A and I want to use it for recording VOX & guitars.

But I am routing from a Mackie Onyx 820i and into the ProTools M-Powered system where the 820i is the audio interface. As the 820i has good preamps, I am wondering if I should connect the mic first into the Altec preamp and then into 820i or should the Mackie mixer be where to connect the microphone to (and then to the Altec preamp?) I'm just not sure, so I've asked.

Thanks folks,
Halson

Just take the outputs from the Altec and connect it to the Mackie's Line inputs...rather than its preamp inputs.

I'd say Miroslav San nailed it, if you're using the Altec pre you don't want to use the mic input on the Mackie, or you could fry the input stage, you could also fry the Altec by using the pre in the Mackie and going into the Altec. You don't want to go from one preamp into another, preamps are designed to feed power amps not other preamps.

About what Miroslav said....Dont plug into the preamp input?
Would the preamp input be the xlr jack??
Im still learning here,so bear with me.Im using a tascam 388 and there is a line in which is 1/4" and a mic(xlr) below it on each channel..Your saying it's not a good Idea to go from an outboard pre's output to the xlr jack of my recorders input? I should go into the 1/4" jack?
Thanks

Jason.

Back