whats your 2020 setup?

Well, it wasn't really a plan and more like an impulse buy but I just picked up an eleven rack today. My toneport died so I wanted something for direct recording and silent guitar playing and the opportunity presented itself to acquire one in excellent shape for cheap ($100).

Well, it wasn't really a plan and more like an impulse buy but I just picked up an eleven rack today. My toneport died so I wanted something for direct recording and silent guitar playing and the opportunity presented itself to acquire one in excellent shape for cheap ($100).

Sound on Sound-2009
The Digidesign Eleven Rack will be available very soon, and will cost around £899.
AVID +44 (0)1753 655999

Reading ... its a Full Interface with Pro Tools, does it work with Reaper and others?
Mic Preamp for Vocals and micing instruments....nice.
DI with True-Z impedance in addition to other stuff....the DI alone can cost $100+
that's a lot of gear in the box.

Sound on Sound-2009
The Digidesign Eleven Rack will be available very soon, and will cost around £899.
AVID +44 (0)1753 655999

Reading ... its a Full Interface with Pro Tools, does it work with Reaper and others?
Mic Preamp for Vocals and micing instruments....nice.
DI with True-Z impedance in addition to other stuff....the DI alone can cost $100+
that's a lot of gear in the box.

Things I've figured out in 24 hours:

1. Yep, works with whatever. (cubase reaper etc...) Has Asio driver support.
2. Given I bought it used, I didn't get pro tools. That's totally fine with me because I wouldn't use it anyway. I imagine that played into the price though.
3. Yeah the price was totally worth it IMO however...
4. The fx options in this unit (the distortions, modulations, delays, and reverbs) kind of suck but...
5. Unlike other guitar units this one actually takes pedals really well and the the stereo FX send and return can be moved around in the FX chain. I connected a stereo chorus and stereo reverb into the fx loop and it was pretty dang good.
6. The amp simulation is actually pretty good for a 9 year old device. I was honestly surprised, I just picked this up for scratch tracks but it might make it onto some recordings when it comes to clean tones.
7. The noise gate is 100% trash. Running an ISP decimator out front is considerably better.
8. If you ever consider buying one make sure it has firmware version 2 at minimum. Older versions actually cost money to upgrade and the upgrade adds functionality (additional amps etc...)

I'm actually running it via S/Pdif into my audio interface. I only have the USB port connected to use the control software as it's easier than menu diving on the device itself.

2020 has me finally up and running with my "Mobile Vocal Recording Rig". Sort of expensive to build from scratch, but I already had most of the pieces from various other things, so it wasn't so bad... and it allows me to record vocals anywhere whenever the need arises! The main reason for having this setup in place was due to having a 5 year old at home, and being unable to record vocals at all hours of the night in my dedicated music space like I used to pre-child. Setup consists of the following: MXL Condenser Microphone into a TC Helicon Mic Mechanic 2 powered by a Pedaltrain Volto 3 Analog 9-volt Rechargeable Power Supply recorded using a Tascam DR-10X Plug-On Linear PCM Digital Audio Recorder for XLR Microphones. Using my Android Phone running n-Track Studio with an Instrumental Backing Track & Melody Track for monitoring through headphones. You could of course power the TC Helicon Mic Mechanic 2 using a standard Guitar 9v Power Supply, or skip it altogether if you were using a non-Condenser microphone and did not require phantom power... but I like my Condenser mic and wanted a simple, portable, self contained solution for phantom powered recording and this did the trick. Just velcro it all together to a 2x4 with a mini mic stand and you're good to go anywhere!

2020 has me finally up and running with my "Mobile Vocal Recording Rig". Sort of expensive to build from scratch, but I already had most of the pieces from various other things, so it wasn't so bad... and it allows me to record vocals anywhere whenever the need arises! The main reason for having this setup in place was due to having a 5 year old at home, and being unable to record vocals at all hours of the night in my dedicated music space like I used to pre-child. Setup consists of the following: MXL Condenser Microphone into a TC Helicon Mic Mechanic 2 powered by a Pedaltrain Volto 3 Analog 9-volt Rechargeable Power Supply recorded using a Tascam DR-10X Plug-On Linear PCM Digital Audio Recorder for XLR Microphones. Using my Android Phone running n-Track Studio with an Instrumental Backing Track & Melody Track for monitoring through headphones. You could of course power the TC Helicon Mic Mechanic 2 using a standard Guitar 9v Power Supply, or skip it altogether if you were using a non-Condenser microphone and did not require phantom power... but I like my Condenser mic and wanted a simple, portable, self contained solution for phantom powered recording and this did the trick. Just velcro it all together to a 2x4 with a mini mic stand and you're good to go anywhere!

Which MXL mic?

A long way from 1995, with a p133 windows PC running a Soundblaster AWE32 sound card and using digital orchestrator software as my DAW...

flash forward 25 years....

Reaper
2013 27" imac with i5 processor
Behringer XR18 mixer / interface AWESOME within it any and everything I could ever need to get 16 simultaneous tracks of very high quality recordings...endless routing and effects capabilities...not even touching on what Reaper provides...
SM 57's Love them...a few other high ends I never use
TC Helicon Voicelive 2 for harmonies...midi allows me to orchestrate harmonies via chords / notes played ( damn cool)
I use two sm57's at once separated by about 6"....one for the harmonies and one for straight vocal with some verb ..I don't switch the harmonizer off and on...it is always on..... I just slide back and forth for some very smooth harmony additions...when wanted.
Yamaha MODX 8 keyboard with a ton of basic and not so basic piano, organ, sythn, drums and a plethora of other instruments / amazing sounds...also has a 4 channel interface I have yet to use

Basically all I need to do is figure out how to make it all work together and I'm golden... Kind of have figured it out but I hate the process of getting things working...it makes my head hurt and waste valuable playing time...

Last edited:
TAE -

20x20? Lucky bastard.

I always wanted a Delta 1010, but then I don't know why. I guess I always thought I was going to get out and record other people, or set up a space to have others in. Never happened.

TAE -

20x20? Lucky bastard.

LOL I decided the group didn't need to know my life story so I "trimmed " my post.... So to clarify in my pre trimmed post I noted I have a 20 x 20 room that is mine to use as I wish...and yet...it's been more of a storage room than a jam room...that is changing...Yeah I am a dumbass lucky mofo with regards to the fact that the wife didn't kill me when I wanted to add on a Jam room 20 years ago...guess she figured it would keep me home :rolleyes:

embarrassing I haven't made better use of it but chasing that carrot to pay the bills and get the kids through college and married off kind of took up the first 10 years...I got nuthin but shame that the last 10 have not been better utilized....

That said...I have today and no excuses ... Health wise the last two years have kicked my butt ...some serious skin cancer shit with 3 big ass surgeries, 35 rounds of radiation and immunotherapy...pretty scarred up but I'm just not going to let it drag me down ...Musically I'm still burning and hopefully that record button starts getting pressed soon again...I'm ready, willing and able!

I always wanted a Delta 1010, but then I don't know why. I guess I always thought I was going to get out and record other people, or set up a space to have others in. Never happened

Likewise I got it so I could do a live band recording...ended up never using more than 6 at a time and that was only a few times..

Now that xr18 I'll probably not use anymore that 6 either but it's there for me if I need em...So cool that it is both a awesome interface with a TON of plugs and effects and a really powerful mixer for live events...I was sold when I was in Vegas watching a cover band use it...damn sweet box...

Now that xr18 I'll probably not use anymore that 6 either but it's there for me if I need em...So cool that it is both a awesome interface with a TON of plugs and effects and a really powerful mixer for live events...I was sold when I was in Vegas watching a cover band use it...damn sweet box...

I have the XR18 as well. It is really great at what it does. I use it for all my cover band gigs. Last fall our lead singer traded free auto repair for a free video session with a professional videographer. He made a promo video for us, but also gave me all the footage.

Shameless plug, but these videos were recorded with the XR18.
YouTube

TAE

Don't think you've got the market cornered on shame.

Kinda like Seeger said - "20 years, where'd they go? 20 years, I don't know. I sit and wonder sometimes where they've gone.'

My mom always said 'you can do whatever you want with YOUR house when you have one."

She forgot to add 'as long as it's OK with your wife'.

Kind of an important part to leave out, as it turns out.

I have the XR18 as well. It is really great at what it does. I use it for all my cover band gigs. Last fall our lead singer traded free auto repair for a free video session with a professional videographer. He made a promo video for us, but also gave me all the footage.

Shameless plug, but these videos were recorded with the XR18.
YouTube

Hmmm? Seems like maybe you learned a few things here at HR.com Good job on the mixes ...Knowing the real history of digital recording from it's earliest iterations...the XR18 and the value that it is as a swiss army combo of 16 track mixer and recording interface with really nice preamps is an incredible wonderful advancement. I still have a long way to mastering it but the reaper and berry communities make it so easy to get answers... just very happy I own one...

Hmmm? Seems like maybe you learned a few things here at HR.com Good job on the mixes ...Knowing the real history of digital recording from it's earliest iterations...the XR18 and the value that it is as a swiss army combo of 16 track mixer and recording interface with really nice preamps is an incredible wonderful advancement. I still have a long way to mastering it but the reaper and berry communities make it so easy to get answers... just very happy I own one...

Indeed. It really is incredible the resources we have these days. I bought that XR18 from a guy who was moving and desperate to sell off his stuff. The mixer and two 15" mains for $400. lol

For that gig, I got a mix set with the ipad out in the audience then just used it for switching effects on/off in between songs. Used my laptop to record... 16 channels for a 4 hour gig, not one problem. It just kept chugging away.

The lights were the only thing I am disappointed with. No one else wanted to run the lights and I was pretty busy with audio, so I just set them to sound activated. They look like cheesy disco/DJ lights. Oh well.

Thanks for the nice words.

Back