What's with Behringer?

DigitalDon

What's the deal with Behringer. Nobody seems to be carrying their gear. I hear they changed their distribution. A guy at Music123.com said most of their gear is cheap crap copied from other manufacturers. Also that they were on their way out and would probably be out of business in a couple of months (i.e. no support). I really liked what I was reading about the DSP1000P Virtualizer but the seed of doubt has been planted. Any experience out there with the Lexicon MPX100 Effects Processor?

Behringer had a laps of distribution as they were setting up their operation in the US. Prior to this, their distribution was through Samson (Sam Ash). They had a falling apart, so now Behringer is selling direct to dealers across the States, eliminating the middle man they once went through. Although they probably do copy some manufactures gear, I have found their quality to be very good on most of their product line. I know very little about their mixers, speakers, mics, and guitar gear. I have several of their products in my studio. I am very happy with what I got, and plan on buy a few more units from them.

Hey Don,

I bought a MPX-100 last year for $180. It sounds great, but the interface is VERY limited. For the money, though, it's a great deal. If you just need some great sounding basic reverbs, delays, etc - go for it. If you want something with which you can do some detailed tweaking - skip it.

After reading over my last post, I think I need to invest in a thesaurus.

The first word I'll look up will be "great".

I got the MPX100 about a year ago. I give it an OK. Kobbs right, *very* limited interface. That is the MPX100s weakest point ... the interface. For Lexicon, I guess I expected better sounding effects too. I also have an Alesis Wedge (got for $99 @ GC ...I think its discontinued now) which I think sounds much better than the MPX100. That, I didn't expect at all ... Alesis verb to sound better than Lexicon!? I really regret not saving another $300 or so for a better unit at the time instead of settling for the MPX100. I will be trading up within the next year to probably TC Electronics M-One or something comparable. For a budget verb unit ... it still gets an OK considering how it stacks against the Wedge to my ears. :)

[This message has been edited by BigKahuna (edited 04-12-2000).]

Behringer also has a US contact as follows:

Behringer USA
144 Railroad Avenue,Suite 210
Tel# 425-672-0816
Fax# 425-673-7647
Support tel# 425-673-8926

Hope this helps! :)

Thanks guys for all the info. I've got a bid in on an MPX100 over on eBay.com . Quite a few MPX100's there (new) for less than a new one at the on-line stores.

Just lost the eBay bid - oh well.
Ordered the Behringer DSP1000P this morning from http://www.allprosound.com . Thanks "MISTERQCUE" on another thread for the www contact. Price was $108 U.S. plus about $12 shipping from Pensacola, FL. They have one more DSP1000P left if someone is looking for one. Phone is 1-800-925-5776.

[This message has been edited by DigitalDon (edited 04-13-2000).]

If i may interject, i just sent in an order to musiciansfriend.com who is welcoming back behringer, for an mx2004a mixer for $280 and i am getting a behringer mastercom compressor as a free gift!

Back