What Recording interface should i get????

muggers1234

Hey guys thanks for taking a look =)
I'm look at buying a recording interface to record some tunes i wrote.
I have been looking at the Yamaha audigram6 and reviews arnt the best.
I have also been looking at lexicon lambda and the alpha. The reviews of the lexicons are very different because some say there terrible and have problems and some say they are the best thing ever so im a bit unsure weather to go with them. I would be looking at recording just vocals, guitar and if possible i have got a midi keyboard the i could also use to record. My price range is between $200-$300 Au which is around $200 american i think. If you guys could tell me weather any of these interfaces i have listed would be any good or weather you know of any better ones around the same price that would be great.

Thanks Muggers

In that price range, I might look at the PreSonus Audiobox, M-Audio Fast Track Pro or the Tascam US-144. If you're on a desktop system and don't mind installing PCI cards, the M-Audio Delta 1010 also warrants a look.

You might try a quick search in the "Computers and Soundcards" section of the forum. There are a lot of folks here who have experience with a variety of interfaces, and many of them are discussed there.

If your price range is maximum of $300.00 (or there abouts) check out the Line6 Toneport UX2, I think this unit is awesome for the price and the software it has onboard is really good. I had a few firewire units around the same level from presonus and I ended up selling them on ebay because the Line6 was so easy to get the sound I wanted, with all the variations of reverb, compression (software) and 1000 guitar models you can either use or bypass.

The mic pre's are good but nothing flash but the software built in when enabled can really do wonders. My favorite preamp model is "Modern" which is pretty much emulating the avalon.

Please note, this is not as good as the avalon, but for the price you pay, you get a great, stable unit that in my mind is the best for it's price that I have used. (I have used Mbox, Presonus, Line6)

Edit - UX2 doesn't have a midi connector sorry.

Cheers ;)

Last edited:
lexicons are nice i was looking at the omega for recording my band but it records 8 channels to four tracks and that wasn't gona work

If your price range is maximum of $300.00 (or there abouts) check out the Line6 Toneport UX2, I think this unit is awesome for the price and the software it has onboard is really good. I had a few firewire units around the same level from presonus and I ended up selling them on ebay because the Line6 was so easy to get the sound I wanted, with all the variations of reverb, compression (software) and 1000 guitar models you can either use or bypass.

The mic pre's are good but nothing flash but the software built in when enabled can really do wonders. My favorite preamp model is "Modern" which is pretty much emulating the avalon.

Please note, this is not as good as the avalon, but for the price you pay, you get a great, stable unit that in my mind is the best for it's price that I have used. (I have used Mbox, Presonus, Line6)

Cheers ;)

He can get a midi to usb connector or maby he has a usb keyboard...I was also looking at that line 6, I so;ld my 003 a while back cuz I needed doe!!

True i could get a midi to usb conecter but to have it all in one would be useful. I am also looking for a program to record with. Hoping it could com free with the interface like the lexicons and yamahas have cubase on them for free. Is audacity any good?

Cheers ;)

I bought the UX8 for $350 on clearance...I really like the API...and The Neve Models...the quiet noise floor is also a plus...with it you can get that pro vocal sound using an SM7...so for arround $600 you have a chain that can sound like BobSeger...Micheal Jackson...Robert Plant...etc.

Back