what is a good parametric eq for around $500?

Not in the same sonic class as the Speck, however, the DBX 242 is a
nice sounding parametric EQ IMHO.
I think www.audioupgrades.com can modify this unit to perform even better.
Jim Williams is the person to contact there to verify that.

Chris

I've got an original Trident Audio Developments Model CB9066 I'll sell ya for $500... I just don't use outboard EQ often enough to justify keeping it around.

i would think that all of the mentioned units would be better than the eq on a mackie right?
to me that eq is very limited. i can never get the kick drum sound i want with it. i am still pulling for the asc.

I agree on the Speck.

I also agree with chessparov on the dbx 242. I'm quoting myself from another post here:

" . . . if I were scouring the market for a good, used parametric EQ, I would be looking at the DBX Project 1 242. This one's actually a Bob Orban design, and it was in production for like a year before dbx scrapped it. It's one of those rare gems that not a lot of people know about, but it gets a lot of recommendations -- including our own Harvey Gerst. I get the feeling that people purposely try to stay hushed about it because if word gets out, then the ebay value inevitably jumps. If you find one going cheap, then just grab it and don't think about it.

After that, the other ones I would look at would be some of Orban's earlier models like the 622B. Those can be had very inexpensively if you scour ebay enough. It's kind of an earlier version of the dbx 242, actually . . . but it has the added benefit of looking very "vintage" sitting there on your rack. If that's important to you.

The other sleepers that don't get nearly the hype they deserve are from Rane -- another company very similar to Symetrix in that they stress superior design over marketing hooplah. The RANE SP-15. Also the PE15 and GE-27 are all very respectable models, fashioned after the massenbergs.

The beauty with these guys is that, again, you're looking at another very "upgradeable" box. I keep mentioning Jim Williams at Audio Upgrades, but I believe these Rane units are also something he can improve on for a couple hundred bucks should you ever decide you want to make it sound like a million. Honestly, anything on his list is probably good, because he won't work with something that isn't already a solid design."

Here's what I use:

Straightforward good sounding EQ - Speck ASC hands down, out of the box. You just can't go wrong with this thing.

Guitar/bass chain EQ - Rane PE-15 has worked out as a decent ParaEQ for me. In its stock form, it has a fairly high noise floor and smears the signal, so it's not a good choice for vox/acoustic recording chain IMHO. But, I have modified a couple of these to address some of these issues and it works out pretty good for my guitar chain. Fairly cheap used.

I've also found that the ParaEQ in T.C.Electronic M-ONE(XL) comes in handy at times.....

Another "yay" on the Speck... but would recommend the "ASC-T" as it can be used with a transformer balanced or an actively balanced output

thanks guys!!!!!!! ill keep my ebay eye out for some of the mentioned models!
and yes the service at mercenary kicks everyones ass!
i have an mercenary edition mp2nv and love it!

Back