what is the best compressor/limiter???

tamky said:
Can anyone point out a thread here or know of a website that has some basic/advanced information on how to use a compressor properly. Thanks in advance.

Often instruction manuals of the products your interested in can offer some good info about thier basic usage and can be freely downloaded from the manufactures websites as a zipped PDF file.

(Just beware of bad Japanese to English translations LOL!)

I'm currently looking for a decent economic compressor myself but it will be used primarily for my PA to help tame multiple mic sources on a live stage and/or possibly even the main mix so it does not nessisarily need to be of high end recording quality. Quiet, transparent, and funtional will due. I'm leaning toward the Behringer MDX 4400 or MDX 4600 for this since you get 4 individual compressers in one rack space for well under two bills (I may even get two). Has anyone tried either of these or any other Behringer compressers?

Reactions: NL5
A DBX 166a should be a nice little starter compressor. If you can't get it to work decently for you, it's not the compressors fault. Personally, I prefer DBX 166's over RNC's, but I use compresison for sustain and tone shaping, not for level riding (thats what faders and gain structure is for).

RoOkiE85 said:
just bought a DBX 166A....is it any good???....some guy said they were pretty good....
Ye Olde Search Function provides the following feedback on the 166a:

"i had a 166a and sold it, didnt' sound bad but it didn't impress me..."
"i got me a 166a which is an OK compressor, but i got rid of it since i find that the 166xl sounds more clean..."
"I also used to own a 166A, and really it's not nearly as good as their older and/or more expensive lines in my opinion."
"The 166 series completely sucks the life out of anything you put into it."
"...thats my problem with the 166a , it does add some sort of dirty darkness to the sound, no warmth, i guess everyone would describe it differently... just something that doesn't flatter the ear...might be the age of the unit though..."
"Also, try to avoid the cheaper DBX compressors. That would include the 266 series, and the 166a."
"I have an old 166a that sounds good but think the 1066 is supposed to sound better and offers a bit more control."
"for compressing bass i tend to use the 166a which quite satisfies me, but just not entirely"
"I just got an Ashly CL-100 compressor...This comp sounds better (cleaner) to me, on bass than any of my following comps: 1. DBX 166A..."

...and my personal favorite:

RNC - Probably get 2
ART Pro VLA - Any good?
DBX 166XL or 166A or 1066 - Which One?
Presonus ACP-88 - Any good?
??Symetrix?? - Which One - Where to find?
??Joe Meek?? - Which One
will get you through.
Personally... with the exception of the RNC I wouldn't piss on any of the other units you've listed if they were on fire. I have found them to do more harm than good in terms of being tools that will assist you in the translation of the emotion of the musical statement.

I hope that the 166a works out for you. If not, maybe "some guy" would be willing to buy it off of you.

- Jerfo

I vouch for the ART Pro VLA especially for the cost.

I bought my ART Pro VLA (vactrol compresor/limiter) for $225 from Musicians Friend on sale a while back (4-5 months?).
MF does this on occasion with the ART Pro VLA.
You just have to keep watching their catalog sales.
It has been rated a best buy for many years.
It's a tube unit too!
You should spend some time on their website (www.artroch.com)
Bob Gallagher
http://mysite.verizon.net/homestudioguy/

Looking and learning myself

But I don't recommend the Alto CLE 8 it would be great if it really worked well.
Having all 8 channels of gates/compressors/limiters in a small rack space is great. But I have not been very happy with the results..
I have run sound many times and have been frustrated trying to get this thing to realy work.
Running live gig just last night and tryed again, trying to get the gates and comp set on the Kick Drum, I had a second rack with a Behringer Gate/Comp/Limiter in it and quickly pluged it in and dialed right in to tighten and bring out the punch perfect.
Alto CLE8 great price, good idea, i'm not happy, ya want to buy it? it's for sale.
Thinking of DBX 160 or 1066 anyone have first hand on these units?

Back