Using a patchbay...Help!

K9SaVeLLi

I recently got a dbx patchbay. I'm not really sure how to use it...although i have some ideas. I wanted to be able to run most of my equip into it and then run the outs on the patchbay into my sound card.

I wanted to try to take advantage of 3 different preamps and a compressor, as well as whatever equip. it get in the future. Can I run my mic into the patchbay and from there decide ("patch") the mic into any of the 3 pre's and from there be able to run those into my compressor (or bypass it) and then into my sound card?

Is this possible or is there a better way?

Also, someone told me that the patchbay would only add noise and to steer clear of it, and that the phantom power would probably fry the patchbay.

I would like to implement the patchbay into my set up...but will it be able to do what i want it to do...or do i need to know what it "can" do so i will be able to "what" to do with it?

Let me know what you guys think. Much appreciated!

I'm running 5 synths, 2 drum machines & at least 10 effects devices (filters,eq's,compressors,stompboxes) through 3 Unbalanced patchbays, into a mixer & then to my computer with negligible noise. Try the mic into the patchbay & then to the pre's & see how it works, but DON'T run phantom power through the bay. One other thought, the patchbay lets you connect things together in any configuration you want easily, but it isn't a mixer. If you soundcard has only one set of stereo inputs, you may need to put a mixer between the bay & the card.

I highly recommend hooking your preamps up to the patchbay and all your other equipment then sending phantom power. I will definately "wam" up your sound.

I need to know more about your set-up to be able steer you in the right direction. What you're suggesting isn't normally done. (Think about it - if you can plug the mic into the bay, then it has a 1/4" plug. Have you ever seen a phantom-powered mic that wasn't XLR?) Patchbays are typically used to make it easier to connect line level gear. Any noise that is generated is from the gear itself or bad cables.

What kind of mic(s) are you using?
Are you using a mixer? If not, having a patchbay is kinda pointless.

The mics probably won't work very well through the patchbay and phantom power usually won't work at all. Like MA said patcbays are used for line level audio.

You could plug all your preamps outputs into the PB then normal them to the inputs on the soundcard.

Additionally, sending phantom power through a TRS jack could potentially damage equipment, as you momentarily short the circuit out when you plug into a 1/4" jack.

However, you can find patchbays with 8 or 16 (or more, I suppose) XLR plugs...if you got one of these you could use it to run into each of your preamps, and then have all of your preamp inputs in one localized space of your rack.

Here's how I do it...mic to pre's...pre's to patch bay...patch split with one out to effects then to patchbay to recording card... the other path (clean) back to the recording card.

I like to keep a clean track on every thing I do. I don't think phantom power through the patch bay is a good idea...but it could depend on the unit you're using.

What kind of mic(s) are you using?
...Shure KSM32

Are you using a mixer? If not, having a patchbay is kinda pointless.[/QUOTE]
...I have 2 mixers: Tascam TM-D1000 & Sound Tracs Topaz 12-4 (want to use the mic pre's) and a Pre Sonus Blue Tube pre amp. I am also using a symetrix 535E compressor.

The whole reason for the patch bay was to make it easier to switch between mic pre's.

What are your thoughts about which mixer/mic pre would be "better" for what i want to do. I want to achieve a clean, transparent vocal. I know some of that comes from EQ, but I am still learning eq techniques so I would like a better starting point.

Of course i'm looking for that "big studio sound" but what would be some suggestions for making the best of what I have. Signal chain? Which mic pre? Should I even be using the patch bay? Thanks everybody!

sweetnubs said:
I highly recommend hooking your preamps up to the patchbay and all your other equipment then sending phantom power. I will definately "wam" up your sound.

I think it is a good thing to put some big fat smiley or something when you recommend people to do things that are obviously bad.

Back