using a guitar fx processer with a mixer(is it possible?)

Mason Earley

I have the Boss GT-1 guitar fx processer, great product for great price. I have fallen in love with it, and if the answer to this question is no, it won't be me like the product any less.

Now with that aside, my question is, is it possible to connect the fx unit to my mixer, Whether it be with the aux send and return, or any other way? The way I have it set up right now is, I have my guitar going into the GT-1, and the out of the GT-1 going into the in of my DI box, and the parpout of the DI-box going to my guitar amp. then the balanced (XLR) out is going into my mixer. Now this is a great and very easy way to record it, and I may even stick to this technique regardless.
(My mixer is the "Alto Professional Live 1202")

I assume the mixer gets it's output recorded via the USB?

Personally - I'd not bother with the DI, seems a bit pointless when when you're recording the DI output of the guitar amp? I'd go into the Boss, then the mono out to the guitar amp, and that to the mixer. Mind you as the Boss has some nice stereo features, I'd probably see what it records like straight into TWO channels on the mixer and use then amp run off an aux, as most of the things the amp will do the Boss can do?

I will definitely try the Boss straight into 2 channels, thank you for that idea. I am unable to use my amp to record because I have a not so great glen burton ga10. Also I don't plan on upgrading my amp anytime in the near future. So if I do that than I won't be able to record the output. The boss can do much more than many of the ridiculously priced amps I have seen. I also can't use my amp with the aux, I asked if I could in the noob forum and they told me I shouldn't do that. If there is a way to do that than great! please let me know. I could also mic up my amp if you think that is worth it, I just kinda, don't want to.

I am not sure you are going to get the results you desire by running direct into a mixer. But then anything is worth trying.

How do you fall in love with it if you don't like using an amp? Slightly confused.

The Boss is made to be used as an FX unit for an amp. In my personal experience, even the high end Kemper and other high priced units still fall short of actual mic/record of amp. But hey, you be the judge of your own needs.

I would vote for mic of your amp. Unless it is shitty....

:guitar:

Yeah, rob's right. I don't really understand why you're doing it your current way either. The DI seems like an unnecessary step unless YOU think it adds something good to the sound. I've seen guys run a digital modeler like the Boss into a TUBE DI, to make it sound 'less digital', but other than that I'd say there's no point. Also, if you're running your amp clean with just getting your 'tone' from the Boss, then you really don't need it either. Take the right channel output from the Boss into a channel on the mixer and pan it FULL RIGHT, and the left to another channel panned FULL LEFT, plug headphones into the mixer, and you're done. Unless you think your amp adds something good to the tone. You seem to say you didn't like your amp anyway, so why put it in the loop? You could also do what I just said, PLUS run a monitor output to your amp, adding only those two channels to the monitor mix (so you don't get a feedback loop) and mic your amp into another channel. Start with the mic channel panned dead center and play with it's level and panning until you get what you like.

Good luck, and remember to have fun. That's what this is all about.

There is no right or wrong, it's all about what YOU like. If YOU like it, then it's perfect. Screw what anybody else says.

Back