Uses for a Presonus Studio Channel (channel strip)

Xcaliber

I watched some videos online about this piece of gear and then obsessed that I needed one in my studio. I found an awesome deal online and bought one. Now that it's here I've tried recording guitars through it and it just doesn't do anything for me. I'm wondering if it's only good for tracking vocals (which I haven't done yet and I'm not sure when I will)?

I think I'm curing my GAS (at least for recording equipment) because the last bunch of things I've bought seem to be useless in my home studio. I'm a little disappointed. Could just be I don't know how to use it properly though.

I have found that gear I lust after often does not live up to expectations when it arrives. However, after using it for a while and finding out it's secrets I realise that the gear is actually really good.

For example: Say you own a mid priced microphone and you lashed out and bought a U87 Neumann, your expectations are that it will set the word on fire, your vocals would now be stunning , etc. However the truth is that you may see an improvement but not as much as you expected, however over time as you get used to it you realise that yes, it is better.

Remember that with every upgrade of gear the price rise is higher, say a mic priced at $500 does not sound twice as good as a mic priced at $250, but it sounds probably 10% better?

The bottom line is that it sometimes takes time to learn the gear and get the best out of it.

Alan.

Thanks for the reply. I'm sure there's a use for this channel strip that I haven't found yet. I guess I'm just a little disappointed that it didn't work out right away. I went back to the inputs on my US-1800 for recording at this point (since I'm not doing vocals).

Back