USB audio interfaces

Gilgland

Hello,

I am new to both the forum and to recording music and I have a quick question about selecting a digital audio interface for my band.

The band I play with recorded a demo at the end of last year. We recorded a scratch track by running everyone through the sterio USB out of our our mixer, a behringer xenyx x2442usb, then recorded each track individually using a m-audio USB condenser mic or the mixer as our input device.Needless to say it was a long process and it was difficult to keep the energy and cohesion that we have when playing together. We are looking to cut an EP soon and I would like to get an interface so that we can record all of the instruments in one pass and then just have the vocalists sing over it after that. I was wondering if y'all could suggest one that will work for me.

We will be running either 2 mono TSR for left and right or one stereo TSR from a Rolland electric kit, micing 2 guitars and maybe my bass (may just do a DI box instead of a mic), a mono TSR from a keyboard and micing a hand drum. So I will need at least 5 TSR inputs and 3, maybe 4, xlr inputs and the ability to run each of those into a separate channel in a recording program via USB or FireWire.

Could anyone suggest an input interface that could handle all of that? I am hoping to stay around the $500 or below price range but if there is a good one for a bit more please let me know, if the new price is a bit steep I am definitely not above hitting eBay to get a deal.

Thanks for any advice you may have.

Last edited:
P. S. I looked through different posts to answer my question but many of the interfaces that were talked about had either digital inputs Listed instead of xlr or 1/4" or had less USB channels than inputs, which dose me no good. That said, if there is already a post about something that would work I apologize for posting on an already discussed topic and please feel free to post the link.

Many interfaces will offer mic level and line level inputs per channel.
You can only use one at a time, but the option is there.

The problem is 8 is a common number (tascam/presonus etc) and it sounds like all in you want around ten?

The solution might be to record a core track, maybe drums and bass? then do guitars then vocals?
Or, record the kit as midi only and use software for your sounds, freeing up two audio channels.

If there's any alternative for you, i would avoid recording an electric kit. To me, at least, they never sound anywhere near as good as the real deal, or even modern day software packages that you can tweak afterwards.

Thanks for the fast reply. I was actually looking at the m-audio fast track ultra 8r, which is an analog 8 in USB 8 out setup as far as I can tell, and I think that something like that would work if we did something like you said and did all of the instruments minus maybe the hand drum and recorded that and the vocals later. I just wanted to do as much as possible in one pass and I was looking for an alternative to the fast track so I could compare prices and features.

As far as the V-drums, I agree that it will never be the real thing but the Rolland TDW-20 is pretty good IMO and the volume knob is a must since we practice in an apartment. Plus, recording is infinitely easier.

Last edited:
Ok, that sounds like a plan then. :)
Get the rhythm+foundation down first, then any leads, vocals or extra percussion afterwards. :)

If i can give one piece of advice, don't set the goal as getting everything done.

Set it as getting something done well.

I know that sounds obvious, but the number of bands who record 12 songs at home and then try to 'fix' the guitar tone later. :facepalm:

Perhaps you already know this, but spend an hour or so which each guitar amp, bass included.
Record short trials, listen, mix(faders only), assess, change mics/positions/amp tone, then do it all again.

Minimising bleed between amp mics is important, but it's less important if everything blends really well live in the room.
Put focus on how everything sounds at once, rather than how things sound on their own.

At some point you should be able to record drums, bass and two guitars for 30 seconds or so, and say, WOW....we're ready now. :)

Thanks for the advice. When we last recorded I did spend a lot of time with the different amps trying to get the best setup. It was a bit of a pain but we got some pretty good tone.

Yea, when I do video editing work one of my least favorite things to hear from talent is "Oh don't worry, they can fix it in post". It seems like, in both the video and audio worlds, you want the best take you can get so that post production is simply editing, blending and enhancing a good thing to make it an awesome and cohesive product rather than trying to salvage something out of a cruddy source.

Are there some good 8x8 interfaces that you could suggest? The only one I found that was 8x8 analog to USB or FireWire was that m-audio. Just wanted to get some alternatives.

The maudio isn't bad at all. I had a friend at uni who used one of those.

Presonus make the firepod/fp10 which I've used and really liked, but it's pricier.
I know tascam have a few.(us800/1800? can't remember)

There are more expensive units out there, but i think maudio and tascam are probably the big hitters on a budget.

Just be careful if you look at any in mixer format. Quite often they ARE mixers, meaning 8 in 2 out, or whatever.

Your choices are pretty narrow when it comes to the USB audio interfaces. If you could expand your criteria to include firewire, then you'll have a lot more options.

As far as USB interfaces with reliable drivers, I would say your choices are either the Roland/Edirol units, or the Focusrite Scarlett. The Scarlett, in particular, will give you some pretty good A/D conversion and decent mic pres to go with it.

Yes the Presonus 1818vsl, the Tascam US1800, or the M-audio fast track 8, would do what you're looking for.

If you do a 4 mic set up on the drums (kick, snare, left and right overheads; or kick, snare, mono ovverhead, and room), that would leave 4 more inputs for say 2 guitars and a bass, or whatever.

I guess it also depends on which software package you want.

Hi Gigland,
The Behringer mixer is ok for scratch demos perhaps but to put together enough kit to make a decent fist of a bigger, better production is going to cost in the region of the hours in a pro studio.

Even $2000 is only going to get you passing good RECORDING kit. You will still not have a good room, top monitors and incalculable skill!

Dave.

Back