Universal Audio 2-610

cusebassman

Freakin' sweet
So... I am contemplating buying a nice 2-channel pre in the next, eh... 6 months? Always an excuse to start looking NOW :D

A question about the levels... it has a gain knob and a separate "level" knob on each channel - the "gain" is appropriately labeled with -10 to +10dB, but how much more does the level knob provide, and where do each of these apply gain in the circuit? I wouldn't want to spend that much money and be using the pre incorrectly :(

Out of curiosity, do you have any other nice pre's? I like the UA a lot, but it certainly would not be my first choice for a primary or "go to" preamp. I seem to see a lot of people that love it for this, but it also seems to be their only high endish preamp. The UA has a very distinct character to it that can't really be gotten away from should you not want that character.

usually the gain is preamp gain and the level is output attenuation or output level

This lets you over drive the preamp without blowing thru the red on your recorder inputs

So... I am contemplating buying a nice 2-channel pre in the next, eh... 6 months? Always an excuse to start looking NOW :D

A question about the levels... it has a gain knob and a separate "level" knob on each channel - the "gain" is appropriately labeled with -10 to +10dB, but how much more does the level knob provide, and where do each of these apply gain in the circuit? I wouldn't want to spend that much money and be using the pre incorrectly :(

http://www.uaudio.com/_works/pdf/manuals/2-610-manual.pdf
page 8 0f 15.

i own an la-610 and i use the gain and level knob just as i would on my Marshall tube amp.
i use the gain to get the right sound, then the level to get that sound to the level i want.

Out of curiosity, do you have any other nice pre's? I like the UA a lot, but it certainly would not be my first choice for a primary or "go to" preamp. I seem to see a lot of people that love it for this, but it also seems to be their only high endish preamp. The UA has a very distinct character to it that can't really be gotten away from should you not want that character.

Thanks for the info - the 2 channels would definitely be my only pres in this league. I haven't settled on anything, this was more a general question, as I was poking around the usual online retailers for 2-channel preamps.

At that price point, I'd also look at a used Pendulum MDP1 (for tubes) or a lunch box and a couple pres of your choice (unless you really want a tube pre). What are you planning on using it for?

At that price point, I'd also look at a used Pendulum MDP1 (for tubes) or a lunch box and a couple pres of your choice (unless you really want a tube pre). What are you planning on using it for?

Tube not necessary - I'm looking for something clean for recording acoustic guitars / other acoustic instruments using omni's and, possibly doubling for vocals, which I currently have a Rode K2 for, that I love (its a tube LDC, although anyone making high-end pre recommendations likely knows this mic, since it is a common mic, nothing special, but gets the job done)

http://www.uaudio.com/_works/pdf/manuals/2-610-manual.pdf
page 8 0f 15.

i own an la-610 and i use the gain and level knob just as i would on my Marshall tube amp.
i use the gain to get the right sound, then the level to get that sound to the level i want.

I fell into the classic trap of not reading the manual before asking questions. The descriptions of gain and level in the guide pretty much answered my question exactly, and thanks for the elaboration!

Now that I have a better grasp of what can be done with the separate drive controls, I think I'd be better served to get a 2-channel pre that is more transparent (perhaps 1500 or less), and later on maybe get a UA 600 Solo for colored applications (at 800 it is considerably cheaper than any of their rack-mount pres)... all just thoughts pouring onto the page, mind you :)

Last edited:
I have an LA610 and love the thing... but as some have mentioned, it is not my go to pre. I use a UA4110 for most tasks and the LA610 for things that need some syrup and/or nuts added. I find it especially good on certain guitar sounds and for male vocals. Well, the LA610 with an SM7 is pretty much my male vocal go to chain. But for my go to pre for all around use, I would look to something solid state with a nice transformer like the UAs I have or API, Great River, etc.

I have an LA610 and love the thing... but as some have mentioned, it is not my go to pre. I use a UA4110 for most tasks and the LA610 for things that need some syrup and/or nuts added. I find it especially good on certain guitar sounds and for male vocals. Well, the LA610 with an SM7 is pretty much my male vocal go to chain. But for my go to pre for all around use, I would look to something solid state with a nice transformer like the UAs I have or API, Great River, etc.

I've read this type of recommendation before for similar questions regarding clean pres... looks like one possible option would be an API 500 lunchbox, and slowly add some Great River MP-500NV's and API 512c's. Two channels of either of those + the lunchbox would end up cheaper than two channels of the other brands I've been lookin at (between 1700 & 1900 to start).

The pendulum requested above is a great preamp that offers more flexibility than most. The pendulum sound is amzingly smooth and clear. The one thing it won't really do that well is a very aggressive sound which is personally what I like the UA for. The UA gets a very pointy and aggressive sound. I really like it, but like I said earlier, just not as my go to jack of all trades preamp.

If you are looking for transparent, DAV and Millennia come to mind.

If you want to do it with a lunch box, I'd consider A-Designs P-1s or perhaps the Buzz Audio Elixir pres (I think someone over on GS was trying to sell a pair of the Buzz Audio pres at a very decent price). On reputation, I think the Elixirs would be a bit more transparent than the P-1s. You could also consider the API 512c pres, but they are a little bit more aggressive. But keep in mind how many hits were recorded with only APIs for pres. The APIs pop up used at a decent price pretty regularly. You should be able to get them used for $600 each or less. I have a pair of the APIs, a P-1 (for which I'm going to have to get a mate someday) and a Purple Audio Biz. I don't think the Biz is what you are looking for though.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/gear...-buzz-elixir-pair-eisen-cinemag-forssell.html

I would definitely nab the Elixirs, but alas, I am putting money away to move out of the area, so I don't have the cash to spare to buy the two pre's + a lunchbox for them to be of any use :mad:

Thanks for all the suggestions though, I will be keeping this thread in the back of my mind for when I am settled and looking for a couple channels of good preamp. What's the rumor on the True Systems P-Solo, as well? I've been doing some reading on gs.com about it, and it seems to get good reviews - I just wonder if it would be worth the money since the lunchbox-based pre's mentioned above don't run much more expensive (the P-Solo is 600 whereas a lot of the lunchbox stuff is 650-800 each)... its just that extra initial cost of buying the unit for the rack that makes these things seem more expensive :p

Back