Unbalanced TRS Patchbay?

Jimrb

I am in need of some patchbay information. I want to patch unbalanced stereo signals (2 wire + shield) using ¼” TRS (phone) connectors. All the ¼” patchbays I am finding are for either balanced TRS or unbalanced TS. Does anyone know if unbalanced TRS patchbays are available or if the ones designed for balanced TRS will work if all connecting equipment and signals are unbalanced. I haven’t been able to find any schematics of internal patchbay normaling circuitry to see if the actual signal paths would connect properly for a stereo signal. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

There is no such thing as a balanced or unbalanced patchbay. There is TS or TRS (and XLR). A TRS patchbay doesn't care how you use the conductors it gives you, whether balanced TRS, or stereo unbalanced TRS. You can use a TS cable through one too, that will ground the ring connector and make that channel single conductor. You can even go crazy and do all of those things in a single patchbay!

Thanks Guys! I know the connectors don't care whether they are carrying +,-, & shield or left, right channels and common. I just didn't know if the internal normaling switching (flip cards, etc) had any kind of active or passive components that are unique to a balanced audio signal and could somehow attenuate, or cross talk an unbalanced stereo signal.
Thanks again for your prompt an knowledgeable responses.

Back