View Poll Results: What is the BEST Entry-Level Mic Pre????

Voters
537. You may not vote on this poll
  • Art Tube MP

82 15.27%
  • Art Tube PAC

13 2.42%
  • Presonus Blue Tube

52 9.68%
  • Bellari MP105

2 0.37%
  • Bellari MP110

3 0.56%
  • Bellari RP503

5 0.93%
  • dbx Mini-Pre Tube

12 2.23%
  • M-Audio AudioBuddy

56 10.43%
  • M-Audio DMP3

188 35.01%
  • Behringer VX2000

27 5.03%
  • Rolls CL151 Mic Pre/Comp.

5 0.93%
  • Joe Meek MQ3

92 17.13%
Page 1 of 36 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: The ULTIMATE Entry-Level Mic Pre Poll... :op

Smiling back at you. Disclaimer: If I've said anything to offend you..... get over it. :op
    Thanks

The ULTIMATE Entry-Level Mic Pre Poll... :op

Sign in to disable this ad
    Alright... here's the deal.

I got 200 bucks (or less) to spend on a mic pre. Right now I use the crappy pre's in my dinky little 4-track Behringer mixer. So... I want something better... That's where all you fine people come in...

and I don't want to hear any of this "It all subject to taste" crap!! No.... it's not all subject to taste... There is such a thing as a better mic pre,.. and I wanna know which one it is!! (d@mn it!!)... I demand results!!! not one of those flimsy, no-outcome polls that doesn't really accomplish anything... so vote... vote! vote! vote!

If you just wanna sit aroond and argue aboot how it is subject to taste... then... start your own d@mn thread!!! cause this one's only for people who actually know how to form an opinion!

Alright... to avoid any questions.. here's the application. I need it for my Oktava MK-319 and MK-012. My first and foremost concern is male vocals... but I will also use it for acoustic guitar. I don't want any coloration or funky crap added to the signal. I want a clean, true mic pre... and I don't care that some of the pre's in the list have one channel and some have two... or that some have certain features that others don't... I'm only concerned aboot the quality of the pre.

So,.. having fully (and overly ) explained myself.. here's the list.

1) Art Tube MP: (This comes in aboot a billion different "flavors". (V3, "Studio", "Professional", Blem, OPL, blah blah blah) If there is a specific "flavor" that's better, than let me know which one.)

2) Art Tube PAC: (This is a pre/compressor. So if the pre is good, I wouldn't mind having a compressor thrown in, unless, of course, the compressor sucks cheese. )

3) Presonus Blue Tube

4) Bellari MP105

5) Bellari MP110: (Are these better pre's than the 105??)

6) Bellari RP503: (Are these better pre's than the 105 and 110??)

7) dbx Mini-Pre Tube

8) M-Audio AudioBuddy

9) M-Audio DMP3

10) Behringer VX2000: (This is a bunch of stuff all rolled into one, so if the pre's are good, then it's something to consider. But if they're the same pre's that go in the 602A mixer, then it's not worth it.)

11) Rolls CL151 Mic Pre/Compressor Gate

12) JOEMEEK MQ3

If there's any that I didn't mention that deserve a place in the list, please say so. Once again... I'm just concerned aboat the quality of the pre... so don't worry aboot features or number of channels... They all have the necessary features (i.e. phantom power), and everything after that is incidental. I just want the best sound possible for the buck... I will take features into consideration after I have determined who has the best pre.

so have at it...

WATYF

Thanks
    solid state preamps do not have to be expensive to perform well. opamps are cheap.

the audiobuddy has a great reputation even among mid level gear snobs.

at 79$ you could get 2! that would give you 4 channels.

or you could get one audiobuddy and one 2 channel compressor.

bang for the buck wise the audiobuddy wins easily!

Thanks

Re: The ULTIMATE Entry-Level Mic Pre Poll... :op

Originally posted by WATYF
    I don't want any coloration or funky crap added to the signal. I want a clean, true mic pre...
    You should really be more specific about what you're asking for. Hands-down, for what you're looking for the DMP3 is the best quality.

Most of the other ones you mentioned will add coloration and funky crap, as you put it, to the signal. The DMP3 will just take the signal and amplify it . . . a lot . . . and it will do it cleanly, quietly, and effectively.

There are two others I would like to add to your list that are worthy of consideration:

* Symetrix

* Mackie

Good luck.

Smiling back at you. Disclaimer: If I've said anything to offend you..... get over it. :op
    Thanks
    Originally posted by c7sus
    Keep saving!
    Unfortunately, this is not an option... I need something right now... and "better" is better than... uh... not better...

anywhoo... I just need to know which of those gives me the best pre for the buck.

WATYF

Thanks
    Keep using the Behringer, the pre's you mentioned aren't much of an upgrade. You already own an entry level mic pre. Buy a Studio Projects C-1 with your money and your male vocals will have the improvement that you are looking for. THAT is the best advice you will receive on the subject. (even if it doesn't immediately make sense)

Then when you have the money buy one of these bad boys ;

ART Pro MP $330
    HHB Radius 40 $550
    PreSonus MP20 $500
    Peavey VMP2 $750
    UA M160 $ 1200
    Vintech 1272 $1300

You're welcome in advance

Thanks
    The Event EMP 1 ..About $150.00 used..Its far superior to the Art's{Lil Mp's}..Nice and clean, pretty transparent and quiet {60db's of gain}..

Don
    blessed are the cheese makers

Don

Thanks
    aaaaaawwwwwwww maaaaaaaaannnnnn

why isn't it ever just "Sure WATYF, just use the "Brand X" mic-pre and everything will be just fine..."

how come it's always gotta be so hard???

So what you're sayin' is... after all the good things I've heard aboot the DMP3 and the MQ3 and what not, that neither of them are really any better than the cheap crap pre's that came with my 70 dollar 4-track Behringer mixer???

*sigh*

I'm convinced that this whole "music" thing is just a money pit...

yup... I just figured that out...

WATYF

Thanks

Smile

ok then dont take my advice.

listen to the silly opinions.

you are a silly guy so its ok!

Thanks

Cool

I have a DMP2 and 2 Joe Meek VC3Q's and both units are really nice for the price.....i rather the Meek......

so id go with the MQ3 first choice, DMP3 second choice, then the Art......i think you have more tonal options with the Meek.......

Thanks
    WATYF,

I'm still very newbie to mic technique and evaluation but have read here a great deal and have the following pre's: Joe Meek VCQ-6, DMP3, ART TubePac and the following mic's: 2 Octava Mk 012's, 1 MXL V-67m and one SM-57.

With one limited day of testing and just checking out some spoken word and Acoustic guitar with gain staging etc I can offer the following subjective opinions.

The VCQ-6 (not in your pole but may comare to the MQ-3) does sound "warmer" to me than the DMP-3 but it does add coloration (in a way that I personally like for some things) that may or may not be good to your ears.

The DMP-3 sounded crystal clear to me (but again I warn you these two are the highest quality pre's I have got to use personally so far) and may be preferable for somethings and to some people than the Meek and there are two channels (stereo capabiblity for you MK 012's).

Both blow away the ART TubePac and from what I have read the TubePac beats the Bellari and Rolls.

Bang for the buck 2 Channels of clean pre with phantom power, phase invert switches, XLR and TRS inputs/outputs....I say your winner is the DMP-3 or the Audio Buddy with an RNC for compression.

If you really just need one channel for now and like the Meek sound then I would go with the MQ-3.

I'm glad to have both...more options/flavors to work with.
    There is plenty of room for all of God’s creatures …right next to the mashed potatoes.
    Saskatoon – Steak, Fish and Wild Game.

Thread Information