The ULTIMATE Entry-Level Mic Pre Poll... :op

What is the BEST Entry-Level Mic Pre????

• Art Tube MP

Votes: 82 15.3%
  • Art Tube PAC

Votes: 13 2.4%
  • Presonus Blue Tube

Votes: 52 9.7%
  • Bellari MP105

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Bellari MP110

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • Bellari RP503

Votes: 5 0.9%
  • dbx Mini-Pre Tube

Votes: 12 2.2%
  • M-Audio AudioBuddy

Votes: 56 10.4%
  • M-Audio DMP3

Votes: 187 34.9%
  • Behringer VX2000

Votes: 27 5.0%
  • Rolls CL151 Mic Pre/Comp.

Votes: 5 0.9%
  • Joe Meek MQ3

Votes: 92 17.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Harvey Gerst said:
Thank you for the generous offer. I'd love to try it, but let me hold off till my eye gets back to normal. This not seeing well is getting to be a real drag.

Damn. I was hoping to capitalize in hopes your ailed vision would prompt you to mistake it for the MP2-NV when it came time to send it back. :D

TexRoadkill said:
So what's the scoop on the 8 channel?

From the web site:

The Studio Projects SP-828 is an 8 channel mic preamplifier in a 1U rack. Incorporating high quality summing amplifiers, the SP-828 sums all 8 inputs to the Left/Right outputs. A summed L/R mono output is included for further flexibility.

Each channel uses a separate pot for Gain, Mix, and Pan. Each channel has 48V phantom power, mic/line switch, phase reverse, and a solo function to bring into the headphone or speaker. A multi-colored peak led is added on each channel that reads signal present, and clipping.

In addition, the mic/line switch will default to a 20dB pad when no line input is detected. So if both mic and line is plugged into a channel, the mic/line works accordingly, but remove the line feed, and the switch is now a 20dB pad for microphones only.

The Mix pot will allow a custom mix to be sent out the left right feeds. Each channel has XLR balanced mic input and a 1/4" line input. The ouputs on each channel are 1/4" TRS balanced output. There is an expander in/out connector to hook up multiple units so they all buss down to the L/R outputs of the master unit. The output section has left and right outputs on TRS balanced outputs, and a left and right insert is included to insert signals to the L/R outputs.

The master section has a stereo output control, and a headphone jack with a control level. There are two LED meters for each channel for monitoring

New technology is incorporated that employes the Burr Brown IC's and DC Servo Offset technology for the best possible sonic quality. The unit is powered by a UL approved external power supply for the lowest noise levels, and can be run off 12V for field operation with the optional 12V power module.

More information will be supplied as it becomes available. Target price is $799.99. The target release date is November 2002.

Hey, let's leave off discussion of Tex's private parts and get backk to the important topic of who remembered and who forgot to put smiley faces in their posts.

Re: Joe Meek MQ3 $99

markcoburn said:
Has anyone checked on the $99 Joe Meek MQ3 at GC recently?

Is this still available?

Mark,

They don't sell it for $99.00. When they closed out the VC3Q's they sold them at $99.00. There was a few computers that had an old price so a few may have gotten by, but they pay much more for the MQ3 than $99.00, so they can't sell it for that and I am sure all computers in the chain were fixed.

That price isn't active anymore... fortunately I was able to get 6 of em before they changed it... :D but those are already long gone.. (read "sold for beaucoup profit" :D)

P.S. With all these great reviews for the V-1 (I like that name better too... :p ) I'm thinkin' maybe I shoulda hung onto it a little longer and messed with it some more. Oh well.. I needed two channels anyway.. and spending $180 twice is oat of the question.

WATYF

WATYF

I don't know. Everyone was raving about the POD 2.0 for so long. I thought I had to have one. When I checked it out in the stores I thought it was sub par.

I guess my point is, what sounds good to you is all that matters.

I am not an engineer but a musician. I only need two things. clean and 3 or 4 shades of not clean to make things interesting.
The DMP3 which I use now is way clean to slightly warm and the only way the others could improve is to focus on key frequencies to enhance my SM57 or C1. The DMP3 provides a really great response with the C1. I do have to roll off 500Hz and below because it seems excessive in this range. I rarely have to EQ above this except for maybe a slight boost at 6KHz and above. I am interested how the RNC and VTB1 interact with the C1.

I am going to wait for the RNC to ship, buy it and the VTB1 and do my own shoot out. I think the results will largely depend on how these sound with my voice. Maybe the VTB1 just didn't work with yours.

Yeah... it's prolly just a matter of taste... who knows. And I totally agree aboot the POD thing... everyone said they were the best thing since sliced bread, then a friend of mine got one and I found out it wasn't "all that and a bag of chips"... :p

If you want, you can check out the results I got using my new DMP3 by going here.

WATYF

WATYF

Listening pleasure: 10 out of 10
Liked the sound and the song. The voice is good, the guitar is good. Oh yes, the sound of a warm DMP3.

Mixing critique:7 out of 10
The mix is a little conflicting in the 200-500Hz range I would've rolled off the low end on the voice and maybe dipped the guitar around 400 to 500. This would give each one their own space and clean things up a bit. This might just be MP3 file though so take this with a grain of salt.

Ok buddy lets hear some bass and drums kicking in this tune and maybe a flute or synth on that intro. Your not done yet.

Enough for now this is in the wrong forum. Did I mention the mic pre, oh yeah, I'm covered.

Thanks for the comments... I totally agree aboot the low end "conflict"... unfortunately, I'm still a stupid newbie, so I don't know how to fix stuff like that... :p I'll be sure to try your suggestions..

I dunno aboot bass... but I will be adding more percussion, if not some drums,.. as well as a few more electric git accompanyment parts... I'll let you know when I post the finished result.

And now back to your regularly scheduled format.. (read "arguing aboot which mic (or pre) is the best") :D

WATYF

hmm

i dont know about mics and pre-empts but i do know one thing: this is the best thread ever!

:)

watyf has a new tune? does it have drums on it?

(psst - when there was that little controversy about drum beats well you know that those electronic drum modules have sequencers with quantization and i would be willing to bet 50 cents that thats what you heard. a little lack of feel perhaps?)

Re: hmm

jeap said:
when there was that little controversy about drum beats...
I have no idea what you're talking aboot... what controversy... I don't get involved in controversies... :cool:
those electronic drum modules have sequencers with quantization.. thats what you heard... a little lack of feel perhaps.
Even though I don't know what you're talking aboot.. I would say, hypothetically,.. if I knew what you were talking aboot.. that your assessment of the situation would be correct... :p

WATYF

Why do I get the feeling that WATYF is responding to every post on this thread just to keep it going? (Or is it gooooing?)

Someoooone cap this thing....please.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back