Turning Monitors On Remotely!? How?!

scarboro78

NYC HIP-HOP AMBASSADOR
Wsup Guys!
Long time no post.. been busy workin.. recordin.. etc.

Anyways, as my modest little studio gets more and more cluttered with equipment, I find it more and more difficult to get to the back of my equipment, especially my speakers everytime i have to turn them on (powered TR-8's). My question is.. Is there someway to turn them on remotely, via some sort of device or something?

Everyones help is mostly appreciated. Thanks!

MadAudio said:
I use a plain old power strip. Just keep the actives on and use the switch on the power strip.
But will that harm the monitors at all?

I also want to avoid that popping that happens when you turn your monitors on before your computer.. So I guess I would have to connect to monitors to something other than the power conditioner everything is hooked up to curently?

Reactions: NL5
You could also use a power sequencer. It turns individual sockets on one at a time with a small time delay between them. It then turns them off in a backwards order when you hit the button. This is great because you can make it so your speakers always trun on last and turn off first:)

Reactions: NL5
scarboro78 said:
But will that harm the monitors at all?
So far so good for me. But I also use an external passive attenuator to control the volume to my actives, so I always make sure that's turned down before I power the speakers up.

xstatic said:
You could also use a power sequencer. It turns individual sockets on one at a time with a small time delay between them. It then turns them off in a backwards order when you hit the button. This is great because you can make it so your speakers always trun on last and turn off first:)

That sound like exactly what I need! Where can I find one? (moderately priced) ??

MadAudio said:
So far so good for me. But I also use an external passive attenuator to control the volume to my actives, so I always make sure that's turned down before I power the speakers up.
What's that do exactly? Sorry to sound so ignorant but this is the first I hear of these devices.. :o

scarboro78 said:
What's that do exactly? Sorry to sound so ignorant but this is the first I hear of these devices.. :o
Basically it's a volume control. I have the outputs from my soundcard going into it, and then it's connected to my actives.

MadAudio said:
Basically it's a volume control. I have the outputs from my soundcard going into it, and then it's connected to my actives.
Oh ok, cool. So you don't have your actives hooked up to a power conditioner, just a seperate power strip? Hmmmm.. that sounds like a simple enough short term solution. I'll have to look into the power sequencer though.. that sounds pretty cool!

Plus I can start cramming more crap into my studio.. lol

The Monster Power series stuff has been great, and offers dual or triple stage power up sequences. In other words, plug your monitors into stage 3 and they'll be the last thing turned on...and the first thing turned off. This will avoid pops from other equipment turning on and off.

I personally use the 3500 for this situation and it's very convenient.

War

I use a small mixer (Yamaha MG10/2) which gives me the flexibilty to adjust the volume, use the headphone jack, adjust EQ etc.).

Even if your active monitor volume is all the way down, powering off certain pieces of equipment can still cause the speakers to make a loud popping sound. Most likely you will even see the drivers fluxuate when that happens. In general it will not actually damage your speakers, but it certainly is not good on them either. If you do want a power sequencer, maybe give sweetwater a call.

Back