Time for an upgrade?

FURAX Eric

Last Christmas, one of the gifts I received special request was a Digitech Vocalist 300. It's the little purple pedal that has done me a shitload of good with gigs over the time elapsed. I like it alot, but I was wondering if it was time for an upgrade.

You see, my birthday is coming up =) ... I was wondering if there's anything I could add to my wishlist to either add on to what I have, or something to replace it. Granted, people are not going to spend $400 on me, I have a feeling my range is like $200 max. I currently have an SM58 as well, so maybe I should upgrade to the Beta?

Both... we have post-compression software for home use, so I don't know how much it would help in the recording field.

spending $200

i was just thinking more that if it was MAINLY for recording, i'd spend the $200 on (or ask for) a new microphone rather than a new signal processor, but as far as live mics go, if they're going to get beat up and whatnot, it doesn't make as much sense...

havent used the maximizer.

Yeah I think when all is said and done I should go for the Beta58. I am going to go with a place for a good return policy, because I hear some people prefer the SM58 over the beta. I have had some feedback problems at live places though, so perhaps the Beta would be a better choice amidst all the processors that would probably prove of little use in our current recording setup.

Thanks for the advice guys, if anyone has anything more to contribute, I'm more than willing to listen. =)

The BBE does a nice job of clearing up muddy PA rigs for live use - I use one for gigs - but it's horrible in the studio - trust me, you don't want that thing anywhere your recording gear.

Even for vocals? I heard it was better than the SM58 for vocals on the recording level because it was more like a condenser.

Units like the BBE color the sound big time. You might like the way it colors the sound, but it's colored just the same. In my book, the right way to do it is to use the right mic and the right pre. It's just like microphone modelers - you can't make an SM57 sound like a Neumann - i.e., you can't make a dynamic sound like a condenser.

detuned6 said:
you dont whant a bbe on your vocals. their is no need.

You say that for sure, since we haven't heard his vocals. If he naturally sounds like he's singing with a mouthful of socks, it might be just the thing...:p

When you all refer to the BBE, you're talking about the Beta58, correct? I did some stuff with the SM58 that sounded decent, so I'd imagine the Beta would be even better.

Do you guys have a better recommendation for under $200? (No condensers)

Ok I was confused, I thought BBE stood for Beta Blue E? Something? I didn't know.

Ok I will stay away from the Maximizer for vocals, but I still want to try it for guitars.

So is the Beta a good dynamic? Or are there better for around the same price?

Back